The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Ppapanek's Erebus

By on January 18, 2011 1:59:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dlarimit

Join Date 10/2010
+20

Since I'm into studying Erb lately... A very recent replay showcasing great Erb played by one of my favorite players (I think US guys haven't played with/vs him much, and that's a shame). His Misting in and out is impeccable, the level of precision is jaw-dropping. The guy basically did not make a single mistake during this game (the only time he died was probably my - or lag's + mine - fault). Aside from ppapanek's superb performance, the game is nothing to write home about: your run-of-the-mill 'no noobs' match.

http://www.gamereplays.org/demigod/replays.php?game=51&show=details&id=181813

Locked Post 19 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 18, 2011 2:45:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

that was indeed a schooling, and that is an understatement. I did record the game and im taking it back to the lab.

January 18, 2011 3:24:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Mist is the best interrupt in the game. Then Grasp/Pent. 

January 18, 2011 3:25:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Mist interrupt? Have I ever played erebus?

January 18, 2011 3:32:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't believe he ment mist, obviously

January 18, 2011 3:36:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In fact, you can, and probably should, use it as a cheap safe interrupt of sorts. However, it requires perfect timing, as going into Mist and back takes time (you can also play mind games with Mist cancel, but that requires a very skilled opponent that will react to Mist effect). If the game is a bit laggy, which is often the case, it's simply not that efficient. Ppap was able to pull it off more often then not during this match, and that was really amazing. Actually, he Misted most skills on reaction, not only obvious things like Hammer Slam.

January 18, 2011 3:45:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Then it's more of an "avoid" skill, not an interrupt. You don't cancel their skills. They cancel themselves.

January 18, 2011 3:48:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You don't cancel their skills. They cancel themselves.

Yes, of course. Technically, it's obviously not an interrupt, but the result is often more or less the same.

January 18, 2011 3:54:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nope (If I remember things working clearly, because my memory sucks ). If you interrupt enemies, their cooldown of skill starts. With mist it depends when was used. If skill was casted and then misted. Then no "interrupt", but cooldown starts. If misted on casting time, then cooldown doesn't start and skill can be used instantly on any other target ("interrupt").

January 18, 2011 3:58:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, yes, I didn't say the result is exactly the same... Anyway, it's a unique skill that requires great hand-eye coordination to use efficiently, but if you can pull it off, it's unbelievably useful.

January 18, 2011 3:58:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's an "interrupt". You can use it for a lot of casted abilities (Fireball, Snipe, Hammer Slam, Boulder Roll are the big ones). 

It negates a lot of debuffs so that the ability does very little besides force you into mist for a few second (Mark of the Betrayer, Ground Spikes, and Spit are the biggest) 

You can use it to avoid AoE attacks (Surge, Rain of Ice) 

If you are lucky you can use it to prevent Pent, Pounce and a few other short-cast nukes (all of which are only interrupted through luck anyway and so it's no different). 

Additionally, unlike true interrupts, it consumes your opponents mana (unless they cancel the cast). For many of the abilities, they are put on CD just as if you interrupted it. 

At the low-low price of 300 mana. 

They only major drawbacks is it forces you to do next to no damage for 2 seconds (which isn't a huge deal if Bite is on cooldown when you mist), and they have to be targeting you.

January 18, 2011 5:12:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This thread is getting out of cotrol...

January 18, 2011 6:05:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

watched a bit of it.  Good use of mist to avoid ints/damage.  Nice timing.  Found his item build interesting along with staff of the war mage.  Not necessarily bad, but somewhat unique.  Still, a erb with tons of mana is very nice. 

January 18, 2011 9:36:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I love ppappa, I even recommended him to pacov as an alternate during the last tournament because I think he's the only tier 1 out there that hardly anybody knows about.  But does he play better than Defender_ does in this game

http://www.gamereplays.org/demigod/replays.php?game=51&show=details&id=178700 ?

I'm pretty sure I've already seen the greatest possible Ereb play, but if there's really something worth looking at in this ppappa replay I'll check it out. 

January 18, 2011 10:21:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yeah - to be fair, the game posted in the op really isn't anything special as far as erb goes.  Shows a somewhat unique build that the tb on the other side should have pushed harder early for likely/potential kills, but is an excellent example of mist for saves/kills/avoiding dmg, bites for heals, etc.  For anyone that hasn't seen erb used this way, its a great example.  I'll checkout your replay later, shane.  Thx for adding to this. 

January 18, 2011 11:03:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yeah - to be fair, the game posted in the op really isn't anything special as far as erb goes

To be even more fair, it's a bit hard to be special with Erb: great skills, but quite straightforward, with a possible exception of Mist. Ppap is as special as it gets, I believe. I didn't post it here for Shane and you, Pacov -- my target group is people that wish to improve their Erb playstyle (not necessarily noobs), surely not 18000 games guys that have seen it all before  Plus, there is an invincible unpacked QoT w/ Bulwark featured there, so what do you know?

I love ppappa, I even recommended him to pacov as an alternate during the last tournament because I think he's the only tier 1 our there that hardly anybody knows about. 

Absolutely agreed, and the second purpose of the OP was to advertise ppap a bit Not sure he would have been a wise choice, though. He's a really nice person, and he understands English all right, but I have a suspicion we would have trouble adequately communicating via Vent, unless Pacov was secretly studying Korean for the last 5 years or so.

But does he play better than Defender_ does in this game

Hm. Defender = Renz? I've played a bunch of games with Renz, but he never picked Erebus, so no first-hand knowledge. He's widely hailed as best Erebus ever, though, and judging by some replays and by his skill with other DGs, no reason to disbelieve. Then again, I don't think it's that essential to decide who has the biggest, ppap or Renz

http://www.gamereplays.org/demigod/replays.php?game=51&show=details&id=178700 ?

I'll gladly watch the replay, your input is much appreciated, Shane!

January 19, 2011 1:23:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

nah - all the promo I ever needed for pap was zen_god whining about being crushed by him a few times in 1v1.  Was a funny night.  I still think this is just a "fundamentals" replay (eg stuff that anyone using erb should do or a tutorial for folks that never thought about using mist for X) - but side note, only a few do.  Now if you want me to look at your qot, that's another story - didn't even pay attention as I was just checking out pap. 

Makes me long for the magical world where there is no lag in demigod.  I think several folks would be ducking and moving (eg mist) when appropriate in the magical lag free world.  All of us veterans are used to the often laggy world of dg, but imagine what games would be like 1 to 1 in high level with no lag.  It would change ALOT of things.  I honestly think the best players are those of us that have been around awhile and adapt to lag the best.  That's how I easily beat the hulk or whatever the goof's name is this week with my weakest dg - by adapting to changes in the flow of the game quickly.  Anyway, perhaps pap fits the bill of a fellow that adapts quick on the fly and it was a laggy game and he still managed all of those well timed mists.  In reality, there is PLENTY of time to mist immediately after a fb is cast or when you see the rook boulder animation, etc.  I'd never miss 80% of that crap in a lag free world.  But in dg, it comes down to what the game (lag) environment is like and who can adjust the fastest to it. 

Does make me dream of a lan event for us dg hardcore folks. 

January 19, 2011 1:34:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Adding a another post instead of an edit:

fyi - I'm happy to see a community spotlight on players.  You know where he is from, what language he speaks, etc, post away.  I certainly don't know pap to be a cheater or exploiter and he's a solid player.  Glad to hear more about him.

I'd actually be really happy to see community spotlights on EVERYONE that is still in our small community.  Its fun stuff. 

January 19, 2011 1:42:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the sad thing about it is that demigod even lags in LANs. You can be 10 feet away from each other and still have a 350+ ping. 

January 19, 2011 2:07:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Now if you want me to look at your qot, that's another story - didn't even pay attention as I was just checking out pap. 

Personally, I wouldn't bother. I play it clean there, no deaths, no grave mistakes, good assists/shields/spiking, but nothing to write home about and not much to comment on. Also, I get Bulwark quite late into the game, so its full potential is not demonstrated.

You know where he is from, what language he speaks, etc

Well, I'm usually a highly communicative fellow. Besides, accumulating information about people is a professional habit from years of military service

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time: