The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Fallen Enchantress Team

By on January 12, 2011 4:43:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

With the changes over the past few months I thought you folks might like to know everyone’s roles on Fallen Enchantress.  Names and roles are listed below in no particular order.  This list isn’t comprehensive, there are a lot of hard working people in the marketing, business dev, audio, IT and publishing areas that aren’t covered.  It also isn’t intended to be taken too seriously.  Many of the people also work on other tasks and aren’t as strictly assigned as this list may imply.

Bradley “Frogboy” Wardell (Executive Producer and Product Manager)- Brad defines the budget, approves scope and makes sure we get our paychecks.  He also writes our AI.

Derek "Kael" Paxton (Lead Producer and Lead Designer)- Design, scheduling, stopping scope creep, setting priorities, being a general butthead.

Toby “Kestral2040” Sarnelle (Associate Producer)- Toby does a lot of design work as well as managing the schedule.  His job is to do cool stuff that I take credit for.

Jon Shafer (Designer and Programmer)- Jon is focusing on modability and the campaign.  Jon’s job is to take the blame for the things I do wrong.

Paul Boyer (Art Director)- Paul is responsible for the look of the game.  He focuses on setting standards and making sure the world looks consistent and interesting.

Cari “CariElf” Begle (Programmer)- Cari is responsible for the world.  It is fun to come up with new ideas about what the world of Elemental should contain, Cari is the one who implements those ideas.

Jesse “Codecritter” Brindle (Programmer)- Jesse’s focus is on the engine.  When we talk about memory leaks or adding new engine functionality (as compared to game features) Jesse is usually the one who takes care of it.

Charles "CrazyC0330" Lentz (Programmer)- Charles will be implementing the magic and tactical AI amongst other things.

Sarah "Raa00" Trombley (Programmer)- Sarah is working on secret features.

Jeff Colvin (Programmer)- Jeff is implementing FPS mode for Elemental*.

Akil Dawkins (Lead Artist)- Akil does a lot of our modeling, texturing and animating and has been sharing assets with modders in the modders forum: http://forums.elementalgame.com/401142

Jue “Leo” Li (Artist)- Leo does most of the 2d paintings and concept art for Elemental.

Dan Wallace (Artist)- Dan does 3D modeling and texturing along with some animations and tile designs.

Key Fedewa (Artist)- Kay does most of the spell effects as well as icons, models, etc.

Scott “BoogieBac” Tykoski (Artist)- Scott’s working as an animator, but works in nearly every part of game design including programming, design, audio, etc.

David Stern (Writing and Lore)- Dave is working on fleshing out the details of the world.  It’s a back and forth where we design game components that Dave writes lore for, or Dave writes lore that inspires game components.

* This is a joke, there will be no FPS mode in Elemental.

+68 Karma | 57 Replies
January 12, 2011 4:55:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Jon’s job is to take the blame for the things I do wrong.

*after i stopped laughing*

Sorry kael.. just because you have the scapegoat du jour working under you doesn't mean you get to pass the blame. Your lead designer.. you get stuck with your name on the final product.

* This is a joke, there will be no FPS mode in Elemental.

got my hopes up and everything... (think mount and blade elemental style, large real time battles with you controlling your sov in first person mode and giving your troops orders)

Since i'm already off topic and thinking about it. I would love to see a strategy game played ENTIRELY from the viewpoint of the ruler rather than the played out and bland top down mode. I mean you know you can give your troops orders etc but if you expect to command them you must actually RIDE OUT into combat. You only know what you actually see with your own eyes or what is reported to you... a disloyal advisor or general could cost you hugely.  The fact that you can only be one place at any given time limits how much you can see yourself, larger empires become hugely hard to manage due to this limitation. The bigger an empire grows the more reliant you are on subordinates. I could fill an entire post or 3 with this but um.. way off topic, So i'll sum it up as simply as possible, A 4x as a RULER of an empire simulator rather than an Empire simulator.

January 12, 2011 5:05:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Good luck guys and girls. Hope you dont need it. Love War of Magic already. Make it better, get a 64 bit exe at release, kill the out of memory bug and you make a loyal customer happier then he already is

January 12, 2011 5:06:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Jon’s job is to take the blame for the things I do wrong.

LMFAO, he certainly excelled at that at his former employer reading the forums here...

January 12, 2011 5:09:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't know, I don't think an FPS mode is out of the question. This may be the shot in foot this game needs to really get it jumping up and down. Of course then we will need some guns added, maybe lazers to keep with the lore.

Can't wait to see how this plays out!

P.S. Colvin, if you need any help I have played Myst and I am pretty sures its basically the same thing.

January 12, 2011 5:12:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sarah Trombley (Programmer)- Sarah is working on secret features.

So if I stalk her, can I justify it as trying to get some info on secret features?

Special mention for Jue Li for doing (most of) that awesome 2d art.  (any other who does 2d art can share the mention with him)

Are we bound to get new music by Mason (which does not appear there)? 

Good luck everybody!

Oh, so no First Person Slasher?

January 12, 2011 5:13:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Correction

Jeff Colvin (Programmer)- Jeff is working on a X-Com: UFO Defense like tactical experience, complete with destructable environments which will replace the current tactical environment and will be used for exploration encounters.

January 12, 2011 5:24:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Random question: Do any of your artists have accounts with Deviantart or any other place where we can see some of their public work and keep track of them?

January 12, 2011 5:39:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DrAtomic1,

Correction

Jeff Colvin (Programmer)- Jeff is working on a X-Com: UFO Defense like tactical experience, complete with destructable environments which will replace the current tactical environment and will be used for exploration encounters.

ya that was the joke.. I ignored the name and zoomed in on the concept it denotes which is one of my gaming fantasies.. a realtime 4x in first person ruler style.

January 12, 2011 5:39:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"Toby “Kestral2040” Sarnelle (Associate Producer)- Toby does a lot of design work as well as managing the schedule.  His job is to do cool stuff that I take credit for."

I knew this!  I've always imagined Toby slaving away or coming up with ideas, and Kael and Frogboy off playing foosball or Call of Duty together laughing.

January 12, 2011 5:42:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I knew this!  I've always imagined Toby slaving away or coming up with ideas, and Kael and Frogboy off playing foosball or Call of Duty together laughing.

WTH is foosball? I know football, soccer and Fu??ball. ^^

January 12, 2011 5:43:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting HighQ,

WTH is foosball? I know football, soccer and Fußball. ^^

Table football, or Table soccer. You might know it as Fußball or kicker, or any other of the many different names its called depending on your regional dialect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_football

January 12, 2011 5:47:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting HighQ,

WTH is foosball? I know football, soccer and Fußball. ^^

Table football.

January 12, 2011 5:50:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Thx guys Kicker. Makes sense. Even to the meaningless questions there are answers here. One has to love this forum.
January 12, 2011 6:33:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tydorius,
Random question: Do any of your artists have accounts with Deviantart or any other place where we can see some of their public work and keep track of them?

http://archlimit.deviantart.com/

http://kayfedewa.deviantart.com/

enjoy

January 12, 2011 6:34:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So the new call of duty this year isn't in space its Call of Duty Elemental. OMG! KILL IT WITH FIRE! lol

Also nice Deviantart galleries.

January 12, 2011 7:51:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@Fistalis

you played savage 1 or 2? similar to what you just wished,they are a bit dated, and not the best games ever, but were pretty fun

January 12, 2011 9:03:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Brad's vacation job as AI guru isn't mentioned!   

January 12, 2011 10:31:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As an aspiring writer trying to get published (short stories and my first book), I admire David Stern. It must be awesome to write for a video game. Two labors of love all rolled into one sweet delicious package. And yes, I'm also a little envious.

January 12, 2011 10:42:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

LOL

What a cool crew you guys have over there.

Thanks for sharing.

-.-

January 12, 2011 11:03:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Team – one forumite’s point of view..

Brad “The FrogBoss” Springsteen – The Gowachin God, The All Knowing, All Caring, All AI Coding Almighty.

Derek  “The Fallen Magician Kael” Paxton – The Adult among the Kids, The Voice of Reason, The Herder of Chaotic Code.

Toby “The Smiling” Sarnelle – The Eternal Toiler, The Helpful Hand

Jon “The Angry Avatar” Shafer – The Button Mod Programmer, The Blame Magnet

January 12, 2011 11:28:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Fistalis,

Since i'm already off topic and thinking about it. I would love to see a strategy game played ENTIRELY from the viewpoint of the ruler rather than the played out and bland top down mode. I mean you know you can give your troops orders etc but if you expect to command them you must actually RIDE OUT into combat. You only know what you actually see with your own eyes or what is reported to you... a disloyal advisor or general could cost you hugely.  The fact that you can only be one place at any given time limits how much you can see yourself, larger empires become hugely hard to manage due to this limitation. The bigger an empire grows the more reliant you are on subordinates. I could fill an entire post or 3 with this but um.. way off topic, So i'll sum it up as simply as possible, A 4x as a RULER of an empire simulator rather than an Empire simulator.

OK, this isn't quite what you're describing, but your post reminded me of Sacrifice.  Not the most well-known game (and it's from 2000), but fascinating design in that it was basically an RTS, but you didn't control it top-down.  Rather, you ran around the map and directed the fight.  They avoided what you describe, though, of a massive empire with more and more reliance on subordinates.

January 13, 2011 1:39:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"Sarah Trombley (Programmer)- Sarah is working on secret features."

Sounds like time for a competition to be the first to be told about some of these secret features..

One comp per month, first to complete is told about one secret feature!

January 13, 2011 3:56:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They avoided what you describe, though, of a massive empire with more and more reliance on subordinates.
Pssh thats one of the best parts. Not only does it limit empire size by the amount of risk your willing to take with any particular subordinate but History is full of fallen rulers due to disloyal or incompetent subordinates. Et tu brute?

Incompetent rulers who succeeded due to their subordinates. I'm looking at you Ming Dynasty.

New kingdoms started by disloyal and/or disillusioned subjects... or methodically crushed into submission by brutal rulers.

Be a brutal dictator or benevolent savior of the people. Rule your small kingdom hands on or rely on various subordinates for the administration of your immense empire. The majority of your troops amassing at your northern border? Ride out to them to command them in the battle to come, best take your personal guard though... the lack of soldiers in the interior of your empire has left the roads rife with bandits.

Thats the real meat and potatoes of empire rule IMHO. All in an immense fully traversable 3d game world with real time first or third person view modes .. a dream come true it would be.(not to mention far beyond the scope of any game companys willingness to produce it)

But ya enough of my thread jacking.

Now that I think about it.. if im willing to give up a huge amount of game mechanics due to engine limits.. and another huge amount due to my mediocre scripting I might be able to mod this in NWN2... *wanders off in search of his lost NWN2 disc*

January 13, 2011 5:11:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's nice to hear about the team working on the expansion.

Puts a more human touch on the whole deal and it is appreciated.

Not many game companies bother to do that.

Thanks for the information.  

January 13, 2011 5:11:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kestral2040,

Quoting Tydorius,
reply 7

http://archlimit.deviantart.com/

http://kayfedewa.deviantart.com/

enjoy

That's a good one. Thx Toby for providing the links and thx to Tydorius for the idea. As a game/fantasy art enthusiast I very much appreciate this!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.