Yeah, kicking new players and telling them to "go play with other noobs" doesn't make new players happy.
1. New players cannot learn much from each other (that is assuming you manage to find so many new players at that moment, which is very rare).
2. You play with too good players, who join your noob game, and are completely destroyed. (one plus here is that you can save replay and copy enemy items/skills build).
However, what I've found most effective is:
1. Don't play online matches at the beginning. Try every demigod at least ~2-3 times to know all their skills just basically. + Find 2-3 demigods you like the most.
2, Get all the mods which help to learn even more. http://forums.demigodthegame.com/399399 (download Pacov's package). Out of them you should be using two Bman's mods, Always visible hp and mana, and Rollover ally info in all your games. Then enable one more mod (Enhanced AI mod), but it, if used online, requires other people to have it also. Well, at the start, play with your those 2-3 favorite demigods against various AI combinations (with other AI on your team).
3. Whenever you feel you're going to stick to certain demigod (One preferable, like Unclean beast, Lord erebus, Oak, and maybe Rook), take a look at the guides on these forums. Know that in this game, you won't fail too much if you get lots of hp and decent amount of mana (sometimes some speed). This is usually best combination (generals need monks for healing also). Citadel upgrades are important only currency (1-2 levels), fortified structures (level 1) and troops (usually late in game like war rank 10). Then try to combine your own experience and the one from guides against Enhanced AI online (other players might join also if you allow, but still better play against AI).
Tip - playing one demigod over and over increases your skills a lot more than playing different demigods, because you have difficulties in finding how to counter certain combos, what to do at certain moments..
4. Soon enough you'd find what's best for you and would be ready to play weak mid - mid games (yeah no more noob). If not successful after that, some players might be willing to help (contact me if no one wants though).
5. Find some players, with who you could create some sort of a 2-3 people team. Sticking with same players over and over helps you to understand their strategy, and makes your team working easier (what if you play with two korean players, who know zero English, and can't tell you to go there, or there, etc). I can be a replacement for a while, but can't be a part of every team...
P. S. You can skip all these points and just get mods + contact me. I would play with you against Enhanced AI and teach you some basics (for pro tips ask someone else). Warning. Before match would be a long talk of skills used, items you should buy, etc
P. S. S. Any player is welcome to contact me if gets any problem in finding the game and not being skilled enough. Let's create a newbie team, which surpasses nowadays mids!
Just in case some people don't know few things.
To contact any player in game, you need to add him to friends (shift + tab, friends, add friend, example "Darkliath"). Then can write a pm, but it's laggy, so... not very comfortable, though better than nothing.
To write in game to teammates, press enter, to write to everyone - shift + enter.