The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Gemini Wars - you can preorder now + NEW GAMEPLAY VID!

By on January 6, 2011 10:43:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire ForumsExternal Link

New possibly Sins-like RTS is coming....what do you think? 

http://www.geminiwars.com/

http://camel101.com/devblog/

New preview with gameplay video, aliens included!

http://angryjoeshow.com/2012/05/gemini-wars-gameplay-preview/

new gameplay trailer:

+23 Karma | 55 Replies
March 19, 2011 10:52:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

First Gameplay Teaser: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQc9Fe5SiRQ

Enjoy!!! 

March 19, 2011 11:23:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Very nice, question. @ the 32 second mark, shadow was cast along the other ship. If that is actual game and not a cut scene, I'm impressed, still a work in progress, thanks for the update Tim.....  

March 19, 2011 1:11:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting G_Bison,
Very nice, question. @ the 32 second mark, shadow was cast along the other ship. If that is actual game and not a cut scene, I'm impressed, still a work in progress, thanks for the update Tim.....  

Youre welcome  

I would say that is ingame footage, they seem to have some kind of cinematic "camera" similar to old Star Trek Armada, if i understood that correctly...and that part of video around the 0:30 seems to be it. Anyway shadows cast on ships were already in oldish Homeworld 2 from 2003, so i do not see this like something groundbreaking, seriously you would expect things like this from 2011 computer game...

BTW that ship in the end is ALIEN PLANETKILLER!!!!  

March 19, 2011 7:22:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Timmaigh,
First Gameplay Teaser: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQc9Fe5SiRQ

Enjoy!!! 

Man, this game is looking better and better every time I see it. Can you imagine how awesome it would be if a game like GalCiv 2 had real time battles like that, but with the strategic and empirical depth the rest of the GalCiv 2 has? That would be like the Ultimate Space Strategy game right there. Maybe we'll get lucky and the success of games like this and Sins will push Stardock into putting some "Real Battles" into GalCiv 3 some day.

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on this sweet looking game, Tim.

March 20, 2011 12:31:17 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yes, thanks for the info.  Gemini Wars seems to be shaping up to be quite the hit.

March 21, 2011 1:49:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the updates Tim and Raven I agree with you on the real time battles for GalCiv3, would be epic...

April 1, 2011 7:26:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Another update here, this time concentrating how fighter squadron "mechanic" work ingame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td1dFEPjzlk

Look at the scale of fighters compared to those cruisers, IMHO this is how it shoud have been done in Sins. You can actually see the fighters here, with Sins all you see at this zoom level, are those damn 2D icons, at best those engine trails. But not actual fighters. it completely breaks the immersion for me, more than slightly off-scale fighters ever would.

BTW music is great.

April 1, 2011 8:49:52 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Actually, I'd hate to see sins detroned by this game actually ! So I hope it won't be that good so I won't have to buy it ! lol

BUT the screens are pretty though and I did not see the videos but I take all your words for it. I especially like how planets are rendered and how rocks and everything looks like they will influence the battlefield.

The star system on the other hand looks like it's going to be SOASE planet system with linked road and you won't be free to go wherever you want and with that add the Wormhole system.

Conquest was fun but did not have that amazing deeper gameplay of SOASE ! So if it's going to be a basic SC gameplay, thanks but I'll pass ! Basically it's SC but on multiple maps and so it last forever at least SOASE has a reason to have a huge map with multiple Star System: 4X ! How about this one?

April 1, 2011 10:05:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Souls-Stream,
Actually, I'd hate to see sins detroned by this game actually ! So I hope it won't be that good so I won't have to buy it ! lol

BUT the screens are pretty though and I did not see the videos but I take all your words for it. I especially like how planets are rendered and how rocks and everything looks like they will influence the battlefield.

The star system on the other hand looks like it's going to be SOASE planet system with linked road and you won't be free to go wherever you want and with that add the Wormhole system.

Conquest was fun but did not have that amazing deeper gameplay of SOASE ! So if it's going to be a basic SC gameplay, thanks but I'll pass ! Basically it's SC but on multiple maps and so it last forever at least SOASE has a reason to have a huge map with multiple Star System: 4X ! How about this one?

Well, its a matter of preference obviously. I like the empire building aspect of Sins, as it makes the game richer compared to Starcraft, but at the same time, i feel that if it was slightly less complex ( i mean less content, less possibilities, about the same as  aforementioned Conquest FW), it would make the multiplayer component of Sins better and more players would play it.

In this regard CFW was probably ultimate RTS for me, it had the grand scale and epicness, it was deeper than standard RTSes (cause of supply system, admirals, etc.), but still was pretty straightforward and pacy. For me the balance between the game too complex and too slow to be fun on one side and the game too shallow and fast on other side was set almost perfect... and i hope GW will be similar to this.

I am actually more excited about thios than Rebellion...probably cause its new and unknown. But there is a bigger risk indeed, it may fail to deliver (god forbid), and Rebellion is almost guaranteed to be a great game.

April 1, 2011 10:39:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Okay, that fighter combat is pretty sweet looking. Keep posting updates here, it looks pretty good.

April 6, 2011 5:32:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Bringing to your attention new update today, focusing on the planetary bases.

Would provide direct hyperlink here, but for some reason my browser (Opera) shuts down everytime i copy paste it here...its second time this week, there is a problem with SoaSE forums for me...WTF is happening? 

April 6, 2011 11:26:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Here you go, may try using a different browser....depending on what I'm doing, I use three.

Gemini Wars – Planetary bases

This post will be about planetary expansion and colonization.
Once the player has the technology to build colony ships, the real space expansion can start.

Gone will be the need to rely on outposts made of small space stations in orbit of planets.
With colony ships, entire cities can be built in planetary surfaces, or gigantic structures around gas giants, used to expand the empire throughout the galaxy.

These structures are very expensive to build, and can have several upgrades. For example they can be equipped with powerful defensive shields and weapons, or fighter squadrons.

Each structure is composed of several subsystems that can be targeted from orbit, and if the right subsystems are disabled, the attacker can then launch a marine ground force from his ships.

These planetary bases are of extreme importance, not only because they create a very tough defensive position, but also because they define the amount of capital ships available to build.
Having more planetary bases means having more capital ships 8-)

On these screenshots, we’re showing a planetary base on a barren planet, without upgrades.
Then on a medium upgrade level and full upgrade level.
In the fourth screenshot, we’re showing a base defending itself from attack:

April 6, 2011 11:35:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like what I see!

April 7, 2011 2:24:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting myfist0,
Looking at the Gallery, the game looks dated and it's not even out yet. Glad I have SoaSE.

I personally don't care about the graphics in a game.  As long as they are Conquest: Frontier Wars or C&C Generals quality or better, I'm perfectly happy.  What I really want is great gameplay (battle tactics, story, etc).  This game looks like it could be fun to play, and that's what I look for.  I especially like the article on the official blog that talks about wormholes and jump gates (have to build a jumpgate to go throught the wormhole, but once through, you have to build another one on that end to get back, I sense an ambush) and the interview that talks about how your ships can jump anywhere in the system, but have a limited charge and range before they have to recharge.  I also like how, in the interview, they said that when you use your troopships to take a ship or planet you can monitor the attack via a video feed that shows the progress of your troops.  That's what I look for in a game, not how great the graphics are.  Still, we all have our preferences, and I respect that.

April 7, 2011 4:00:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ZimatDeltaHalo,

Quoting myfist0, reply 1Looking at the Gallery, the game looks dated and it's not even out yet. Glad I have SoaSE.

I personally don't care about the graphics in a game.  As long as they are Conquest: Frontier Wars or C&C Generals quality or better, I'm perfectly happy.  What I really want is great gameplay (battle tactics, story, etc).  This game looks like it could be fun to play, and that's what I look for.  I especially like the article on the official blog that talks about wormholes and jump gates (have to build a jumpgate to go throught the wormhole, but once through, you have to build another one on that end to get back, I sense an ambush) and the interview that talks about how your ships can jump anywhere in the system, but have a limited charge and range before they have to recharge.  I also like how, in the interview, they said that when you use your troopships to take a ship or planet you can monitor the attack via a video feed that shows the progress of your troops.  That's what I look for in a game, not how great the graphics are.  Still, we all have our preferences, and I respect that.

To be fair, i would not be completely satisfied with the Zero Hour graphics or CFW, i expect certain standards to be met regarding graphics. IMHO the game should be slightly better looking than the previous iteration in the genre and i think Gemini Wars looks better than Sins, Haegemonia or Homeworld, so i am fine with it. I am very "visual" person anyway, i  have this need to evaluate the looks of everything  i see, professional deviation i suppose.    So i do care about graphics for sure.

It is truth though, the gameplay is the most important aspect, if the game wont be enough fun for me, even Crysis-like graphics wont help it.

April 10, 2011 10:35:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow, GWs is looking so good, I may even try.  I generally don't like RTS (warcraft empires, etc)  as the clickfest kills my hands....  but gemini wars is looking too good to pass up.

April 11, 2011 11:21:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Captain! I have detected large quantities of good stuff heading towards us in this sector!

Mr. Screwloose! Set course for ...

Sins Rebellion first. High probability of a game that plays well with not very many release zerg ... uh bugs.

Sword of the Stars 2. Version 2 of an already decent game. Of great interest to Star Fleet Command.

Gemini Wars. Watch progress closely. Capture a Demo! Hype and trailers are one thing. Releasing a good game another.

GalCiv 3: C'mon Frogman!

May 15, 2011 2:00:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Few more new pictures:

June 13, 2011 3:04:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

New official site for Gemini Wars was launched today, alongside new   gameplay video: 

Enjoy! 

November 17, 2011 1:19:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Some new screenshots, the game is nearing its completion:

January 10, 2012 5:53:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Can't wait

January 12, 2012 4:00:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks Tim, forgot about this one...

January 13, 2012 11:37:05 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Just to keep you informed, in case you are interested, the game is scheduled for the release on 20th April 2012. This is the retail release though, the game might be actually available digitally sooner, possibly via Steam or directly from the official website, in which case you might get a beta version of the game, if you preorder directly from the devs. How it will exactly look like, the whole scheme of selling digital copies, is still rather unclear to me, i will try to update as soon this will be finally disclosed.

Anyway, if Rebellion is a Spring 2012 game, alongside this, we might have some competition on our hands, almost unbelievable for such a niche genre. If only all years were like this. Personally, i will try to get both games to support the devs, given ofc they will be decent at least - i think with Rebellion there is no doubt about that -, GW is a bit of mystery here, but that makes it more exciting for me. Hopefully we are in for a treat. 

January 23, 2012 2:59:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

New "gameplay" video, showing mostly zooming in and out between star systems. The graphics is IMHO gorgeous, especially those various lens flares, bokeh, etc, planet and asteroids casting shadows on the nebula, etc...

February 17, 2012 6:49:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The devs are currently  looking for few people to playtest the game, so if anyone here is interested and wants to try his luck, check this link:

http://www.geminiwars.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=160

Going with the feedback in the actual thread, i posted the link to, there are probably at least 5 more "places" available

I suppose previous experience with this kind of thing would be a plus

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.