The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

What game am I thinking of? **updated with a new challenge!!**

By on January 1, 2011 12:27:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is a TB fantasy game that I first read about on these forums.
The graphics are a bit dated but from what I remember the depth of the game was unrivaled.

The main developer/programmer was putting out updates at a regular basis and between the number of races and options I remember thinking it was like a Dwarf Fortress type game.

I'll check the posts on DF actually...I think that is where I read about it.
Oh..I also recall that the download was right from the developer and that the cost was a bit high.
I think there is a demo for it as well.

+10 Karma | 42 Replies
January 1, 2011 1:48:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Could it have been eschalon 1 or 2:

http://basiliskgames.com/eschalon-book-ii

Haven't tried it but it looks pretty good and from what I've read, it has pretty good depth.

Doug

January 1, 2011 2:12:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks good but that is not the one i am thinking of.
That is available on Impulse as well I believe.  This one is only from the developer from what I can remember.

January 1, 2011 2:18:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm kind of curious about what you are thinking about too now. My first thoughts were that it's a roguelike game like TOME or Dungeon Crawl, but those are free. Maybe something from spiderweb? There was also Knights of The Chalice that I learned about from here.

January 1, 2011 2:33:40 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Age of Wonders?

Disciples II?

Etherlords?

January 1, 2011 2:52:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good games there..  but this one was not put out by a major publisher.  From what I remember it was one guy heading up the project, or at least he was the main programmer. 

January 1, 2011 3:37:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Dominions 3?

January 1, 2011 5:43:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love these guessing threads

Come on, a bit more info please. Is it in the theme of Master of Magic with building and research or more of a pure wargame like Battle for Wesnoth?

January 1, 2011 5:45:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's it I believe!

I guess I was wrong about it being an independent..
Although reading over the main page confirms again that the level of detail within the game is absurd.

Also, I suppose what I meant by my DF comment was more in regards to the level of detail within the game.

Anyone played much of this game?  I'm dl the demo now to give it a try.

**Yeah, I was way off in what I knew about this game. Still - the main page has a very independent look to it and there is only one place to buy the digital copy of Shrapnel games.

January 1, 2011 6:52:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That's it I believe!

which one is it, mauxe?  wesnoth or dominions III? 

edit - ah dominions III.

Here's a link to the demo (90meg or so):  http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Demos/DD_DOM3_win.html

January 1, 2011 7:10:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sorry - Dominions3 - when I started my reply the Wesnoth comment wasn't there yet

I have played Wesnoth a bit on the iPad.  Enjoyable so far.

I've read that the demo for Dom3 doesn't so the full game justice...  but at least I'll know what graphical level I am getting into

January 1, 2011 8:07:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The game guessing game is a good one..  I'll put a new one up that I remember playing but I cannot recall the name..

I'm talking old-school here (not old-old-school yet:  I have some very old games to throw out here as well).

This is a game where you purchased different robots to send off to attack your enemies base.  They were Battletech sized from light to heavy and you could take control of any of them that you wanted.

The goal was essentially to destroy the enemy base.  I forget how you earned money (credits?) but that was a component. 
The best strategy as I recall was to run behind the base and attack it from behind.

I was playing this game somewhere around 1990, maybe 1988 even.  It was on a Lazer 286 with a Turbo button that jumped me from 8MHz to 12MHz (when I needed that extra kick!)

For a bonus and/or a clue:  this is not the same game as a very awesome console game from around the same era.  Can you name that one and the system?  I remember the currency structure for that game but won't divulge unless nobody guesses it.

January 1, 2011 8:58:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ooh, I'm pretty sure I remember playing it. Was one of the robots a long range missile robot where you could take control of the missiles and guide them accross the entire battlefield? No clue about the name though, nor anything specific enough to help me google the name.

January 1, 2011 9:03:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hmmmm...   that sounds familiar.  Quite possibly true.

January 1, 2011 9:30:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok, I remembered the name
Anyone else?

January 2, 2011 12:55:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hmm

I don't even remember my Coleco vision games.  We had no computer in the home then.

In fact, the first computer I had was an HP that I purchased when I moved out and got married at 26.

Two years later I kept the computer but dumped the girl as she was buggy as hell.

January 2, 2011 2:04:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Heh

Well, the story was actually one of planetary conquest.  You worked your way through each of the provinces until you had conquered/defeated each of the other powers.  One of the lighters mechs I can recall was named "Mercury" and the big-boy was "Titan". 

January 2, 2011 6:45:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Cyber Empires

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/206/Cyber+Empires.html

Dominions III is a game that is always on my hard-drive. It can be micromanagement hell but its so fun to kit out thugs and spam spells.

January 2, 2011 10:07:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good job

So have you played much MP Dominions? 
I enjoyed the demo and can definitely see the depth that the gem contains.

January 3, 2011 1:55:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A little of MP, I enjoyed it and could see that you learn much more because the AI isn't as crafty as a human player. I still enjoy SP after a long period of owning it because Dominions is fantastic imagination juice.

January 3, 2011 2:17:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i need to get around to trying out that demo...

January 3, 2011 8:36:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, I blew through the tutorial which was fairly informative. 
You print off about 15 pages and just follow along the text.

I thought I was done at that point but then I realized that you can actually play a small map with limited kingdom/race selection.
So I jumped int othat last night and got my @ss handed to me. 

I think I know where I went wrong - mostly revolving around trying to rush to take over neighboring Independent territories.
What I plan on doing is biding my time a little longer and making sure I have a larger, more diverse force when I next attack.

Also - you can play MP games with the demo.  lmk if you get into it pacov.
Or anyone else that has the game and wants to play some MP..  I plan on picking it up this week.

January 3, 2011 4:58:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have not played the demo so don't know what nations are in it to play, which nation and era did you choose?

If you want to rush in the early game choose whats termed as a "Super Combatant" (SC) pretender. The [url=http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Cyclops]Cyclops[/url] is a great example, especially if you give it more earth magic, no independent will stand in your way. Its base 20 protection, plus 1 for every level in earth magic means most indies don't have the hitting power to dent it. This makes initial expansion easy, perhaps at the cost of longer term strategy (especially if your nation has a poor magic diversity, at 80 points just to get another magic path the Cyclops should stick to earth magic only).

A SC pretender I find fun is the [url=http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Wyrm]Wrym[/url] with a high dominion and decent air magic. Anyone want a beast with potentially over 400HP regenerating +40 points per combat round spamming 6-8 lightening strikes around it? Not a power gamer strategy but a fun strategy, a giant two headed snake regenerating and spamming lightening is great imagination juice and makes the game fun.

I'd love to stick on Astral magic on the Wrym too so with buffs my giant snake would be ethereal and made of mist, making it pretty hard to hit without magic weapons. Astral makes it a target of [url=http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Magic_Duel]Magic Dual[/url] so my 400 HP snake could die due to one spell. Oh the strategy and synergies available in Dom 3, and I have not even spoken of crafting magic items, Elemental developers please take note of what works in Dom 3 and apply

*Can anyone tells me why my hidden urls's are not working? The interweb says I'm using the correct format*

January 3, 2011 5:42:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice!  I found myself thinking over the different possibilities for a pretender today and realized that I did not know enough about them.

I went on and read a teensy bit on the wiki which helped immensely.  I see the benefit from choosing something other than an awake state initially (if not the overall strategy).  I hadn't realized the overall creation process and left points to be spent, thinking they had some use later.  Also didn't realize that magic level is a set stat and had to be decided at the start.

I must admit that although I enjoyed the tutorial I still could not see the overall scope of the game.  This will sound odd to those who play this game but I felt like things looked fairly basic...  like playing a glorified Defender of the Crown with worse graphics   I was having a bit of trouble justifying $55 for a game from 2006.  The more I read, especially AAR's and the wiki, the more I see the layers.  Having my commanders bottoms handed back to me three times in a row made me realize quickly that I needed to look at this game on a deeper level.  Actually read and process the numbers up on the screen.*

I just got home and placed my order.  Going to download in a little bit and get started

btw: thanks for the pretender ideas.  Going to mess around with that a bit.
(although I also want to mess around with the Elemental tile editor as well.  Heavenfall's recent post has me intrigued)

*EWOM slowed me down a bit as well - actually processing the data I mean.  I guess I've gotten used to RTS games where I can get by with the basics and still have a solid game.  Or FPS where I only need to focus on one thing.  I'm looking forward to more games where I need to think

January 3, 2011 5:44:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As far as the demo goes..  i don't know all of the races in the game so the ones you can play don't stand out to me.  I think the options are the marvarni..  the one-eyed cave dwellers..  the ape-people..  and one other.

Really like the scope of the game.

January 3, 2011 8:11:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Make sure you go to the official forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138) and check out the strategy guides, but don't read too deeply, play the game some and learn how it runs.

A good first nation to try vs the AI is early era Abysia. Don't worry about the blood magic at all, as a beginner its better to learn the other aspects of how the game plays before doing the Blood Economy thing. You have 100% fire resistant troops and mages capable of spamming the spell Falling Fires, so mass battlefield damage and no friendly fire casualties. Your basic troops are very tough but cost a lot of resources so make sure to go Productivity 3, this is offset by having Heat 3. At this very basic level EA Abysia is a one trick pony but it does that trick really well, especially against the AI.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001344   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.