The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

2v2 tips

(be experienced players)

By on November 30, 2010 4:00:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dlarimit

Join Date 10/2010
+20

Well, recently I lost a whole series of 2v2s when paired with strong to super-strong players (TSK-knockout/johnkout, doggu, Kira, renz, and, when I think about it, that somewhat ridiculous 2v2 rawrrr+me v pacov+foxtrot also counts). I was playing either Sed or UB (not that it matters much). Now, I think that in all cases what I did was performing fine during early/mid game, and totally losing it late game, DESPITE the advantage our team accumulated up to that point. I think it's more of a mindset thingie: being used to 3v3 mentality, where I, at least as Sedna, can afford being not exactly super portal-aware, I'm continuing to do this in 2v2, which leads to some frustrating defeats for us and epic comebacks for the opponents, directly encouraged by my poor late-game performance. The thing is, not only am I used to 3v3, but some baaaaad habits from noob/mid games are very hard to get rid of: these games rarely get into late phase (it's all resolved before either team hits levels 15+). I really hate to disappoint the good folks that agree to play with me (I also feel I inspire false security feelings early-mid game, so they apparently get disappointed really bad by this strange pattern: suddenly a teammate that was performing all right, becomes a totally disoriented noob).

Maybe someone can make a summary/analysis of major differences between 2v2 and 3v3? Especially late game. Pretty please! Hedgie is really good at this kind of analysis, but this is not a pm to Hedgie, of course  Just to all and any experienced players that want to chime in. Don't afraid to be banal, treat me as a complete noob - some things that might go without saying for you will be a revelation to me 

Locked Post 15 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 30, 2010 11:26:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Many players suffer from not know wtf to do late game.

Constant portal pressure, the pursuit of artifacts over creep upgrades, gold flag/ cool-down/ valor flag harassment, j-boots abuse on fire tb, oak, erebus to get portals, picking the right late game skills, and DO NOT FUGGIN DIE IN A 2v2 LATE GAME OTHERWISE YOU LOSE gg portals gone.

November 30, 2010 11:37:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol srsly.. waiting 10 minutes to get ashkandor or bulwark is going to drastically change the game more than pumping 15k into the citadel after giants.  Would you rather have slightly stronger giants trying to beat down slightly weaker giants and the citadel through enemy aoe?  Or would you rather have 3 portals worth of slightly weaker giants against 1 portal of slightly stronger giants?  

November 30, 2010 11:59:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the tips, guys. Uh... I did invest a lot into upgrading creeps late game

the pursuit of artifacts over creep upgrades

In our last 2v2 with Renz we got giants a minute/minute and a half later than the opponent and I think the effect was quite devastating, even though by that point I was +1 level to enemy Sedna, and Renz was like +2-3 levels to enemy UB. Maybe I should have gone Nature's Reckoning + Girdle late game to become an efficient lane cleaner, dunno. Cannot adapt that fast

DO NOT FUGGIN DIE IN A 2v2 LATE GAME OTHERWISE YOU LOSE gg portals gone.

That's what actually happened. Renz sigiled a bit too late, and my heal was like 0.05s late (no joking). He died, and I was forced to run. Now, I have no idea how do I hold 2 portals with support Sed, but I should have probably locked one immediately after the catastrophe. I know that sounds like pure idiocy, but I didn't for some reason. Got into the rigid mindset: "We are winning anyway", somehow. So yeah... To quote one of the posters here on the forums:

November 30, 2010 3:00:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

as for holding portals late game.. if your teammate dies you need to IMMEDIATELY lock one and then run to the other (unless you know they're going back to base because they're close to dead anyway).  Ideally you can stall long enough until your teammate comes back.

Creeps do play a pivotal role in 2v2.. but sometimes it can be more beneficial to get an item like orb of defiance, hungarlings, j-treads, or groffling warplate first.  If you can do something that will give you greater control of the game and ideally net you even 1 kill, it's totally worth it.  You can get complete map control and sell that item back if it served its purpose (i.e. I had gotten an orb of defiance.  It helped us get a kill and a portal when we had catapults.  I then went back and sold it so I had enough for giants and then could assist in flag locking).

Anyway.. it's a judgment call as for getting expensive items and getting creeps.  Creep upgrades are usually not worth it due to massive aoe negating most of it anyway.  If the enemy team is Rook / Sedna / Erebus, then ya.. creep upgrades might be a beneficial upgrade.  If it's tb / occ / beast, you're much better off saving longer to get an artifact.

November 30, 2010 4:49:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

note that the advice regarding saving for artifacts versus creep upgrades is allllllll dependent on high level play by both teams. 

In lower ranked games, rush to giants -> win 

Also, regarding the Blacksmith and Armory upgrades, a general rule to stand by is to get no more than N-1 upgrades for each, where N is the number of players you have on a team. So if you are in a 2v2, it might be worth investing 1800g into the Giants (1800g at that stage of the game is not that much and you probably won't get a significant item upgrade by investing that into yourself). 3v3 it can be worth getting 2 whole points depending on who you're fighting against. 

However, it's almost never worth it to get 2 points of BS and Armory in a 2v2 or 3 points of BS and Armory in a 3v3. That gold is almost exclusively better spent on items. 

November 30, 2010 8:05:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank you all for the advice! Very useful info.

Also, regarding the Blacksmith and Armory upgrades, a general rule to stand by is to get no more than N-1 upgrades for each, where N is the number of players you have on a team.

Hedgie' s post would not be complete without a formula Very helpful, I'll remember this one.

December 1, 2010 12:56:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

NT for later

December 1, 2010 1:12:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This cost us 1 game in the current tournament.  We were beating renz/mcshane/or-chin in a game and I chose upgrading creeps instead of trying to pimp out our ub.  Big mistake.  Granted, the lesson is learned, but learning when to by troop upgrades over artifacts is important.  That falls more in line with 3v3 games though... hopefully most 2v2 games aren't about getting artifacts over troop upgrades.  Don't think I've encountered any in my 3k + games. 

December 1, 2010 3:05:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That falls more in line with 3v3 games though... hopefully most 2v2 games aren't about getting artifacts over troop upgrades.  Don't think I've encountered any in my 3k + games. 

The funny thing is, I did not spend a lot on gear (why would I as Sedna?), and Renz insisted on getting giants himself (I assume because of extra gold from kills and poor giants that died like flies to Ooze, and probably also because we were clearly winning at that point), so I could get one of the reasonably priced artifacts. Maybe even the Girdle (that's why I mentioned it earlier). When we stared losing, I actually invested into higher level creep upgrades 

December 4, 2010 5:23:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

2v2 late game pn cataract is almost mainly flag hunting, if you lose one portal it is very hard to come back in a 2v2 (cataract). Because there are three important flags that you have to protect. If you don't have two dg's that has aoe it's hell. Because hard to hold the flag against another dg locking it. most of the time that DG and giants will be too much to tank. And the other dg is kept busy among valor and portal and giants eventually start bashing mid. Thats how most games end.

1-If you are not on vent or if you don't know your partner well enough, there will be the problem of communication. If that's the case, sometimes it is best to pre-decide on a strategy. So each one of you pick a side and protect and push that . You are responsible of that lane's threats and portal pushes. Or defensively determine which dg is gonna hold who. so you are playing as oak, tb and enemy is sedna, ub.  It might be good to think of who is gonna take care of who. If ub rushes for your portal, always oak teleports if sedna rushes it is tb's job. This can all be told in one line and i think that helps. Example: I hold ub. this is the defensive aspect. 

2-well if the portal is gone and if both teams are playing correctly. All you can do is to play the teleport game , this is the period when you watch your enemy teleport times more carefully. Now you have to draw attention make enemy port and fake-port to fight in your portal outnumbered or force them to fight after they lock the portal and eventually find a good time to turn into yellow when the enemy is outnumbered.

This usually happens at some point if the items are balanced. because if you lock the flag and fight a short while. You will not have enough time to recharge and teleport back to lock it. So forcing the enemy to fight a while where your distance is shorter to the crystal is usually helpful. They might decide to stay for relocking but then it will be harder for them to fight without full hp. Either way it is to your advantage.

Oak is an exception to this. He can just safely lock the portal, kiss you on the chick, port out and come back for another round. So go for their portals and play tricks so he just fuckin stops doing that.

Regarding troop upgrades. My personal strategy is usually" I like mine being better than theirs". So watch the upg they have on their giants(their hp) and get a better upg. i think it is quite helpful to have your troops have a slight advantage over theirs unless there is aoe madness on the oppoenent team. If the aoes are about the same on both teams. You are likely to gain some more vision on the map( it is important after towers are down) and if the enemy giants are pushed further away to their side when they fight for 2 mid section flags, they will get the extra bash from your troops. But yeah, after 1st upg of armory and bs, always get the journey and the basic need first. 

well everything is quite situational so actually this can all be summed up as late game map awareness is more crucial. 

Random Dg history in 2v2s:  There was sakke and erska back in the day and they played a mean speedy oak,sedna combo. They just ran around flags and spammed abilities. Almost never engaged and was very hard to deal with.They were brothers from Scandinavia in RL and played quite in their own style. I always thought that was seriously cool.Oak, sedna combo along with ub, sedna combo eventually failed against the ub, oak combo.

I think i am lost in this. So i am just gonna end it here.

December 4, 2010 5:29:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Random Dg history in 2v2s: There was sakke and erska back in the day and they played a mean speedy oak,sedna combo. They just ran around flags and spammed abilities. Almost never engaged and was very hard to deal with.They were brothers from Scandinavia in RL and played quite in their own style. I always thought that was seriously cool.Oak, sedna combo along with ub, sedna combo eventually failed against the ub, oak combo.

Yeah - their team was actually generally pretty adaptive and would change strats as needed as well.  Definitely one of the better 2v2 teams. 

December 4, 2010 5:52:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_pacov,

This cost us 1 game in the current tournament.  We were beating renz/mcshane/or-chin in a game and I chose upgrading creeps instead of trying to pimp out our ub.  Big mistake. 

Lol you guys still think we pimped out our UB eh.  The only time we kind of did that was against Rawrr, I believe I sold a hungarlians so Renz could get something sooner, 

December 4, 2010 6:04:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lol you guys still think we pimped out our UB eh. The only time we kind of did that was against Rawrr, I believe I sold a hungarlians so Renz could get something sooner,

I don't necessarily think you pimped out ub... but the thing is, if I had saved that money instead of buffing our creeps to the 20th power, I could have helping countering uber ub by hooking our ub up or really... anything. 

December 4, 2010 7:01:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_pacov,

Lol you guys still think we pimped out our UB eh. The only time we kind of did that was against Rawrr, I believe I sold a hungarlians so Renz could get something sooner,
I don't necessarily think you pimped out ub... but the thing is, if I had saved that money instead of buffing our creeps to the 20th power, I could have helping countering uber ub by hooking our ub up or really... anything. 

Well both sides have their could haves.  If you had done that we could have countered by actually pimping out our UB, since we were swimming in money and he had much better items on his own.  I just finished the replay, our creeps were equally upgraded (both sides only had the final armory upgrade to get) and Orcun got the citadel award even though he was 0-3.  Really it wasn't upgrading creeps that cost you the game, it was blowing your one chance when you guys took the portal and then cow died so we got it back.

December 4, 2010 7:26:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think i am lost in this. So i am just gonna end it here.

Nah, the Scandinavian brothers bit was fascinating, not to mention the rest is just a whole bunch of valuable information. Thank you, Orcun!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time: