The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Something I never fully understood

By on November 27, 2010 9:07:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok, level with me here people, why on this planet is GAME DESIGNER viewed as a job or career? Even to make average joe game, it is a collection of jobs, not just one singular job, so why? No one person makes a game, and you can argue "there are plenty of people who makes solo flash games, so what are you talking about?" While this is true, let me remind you chances are those are personal projects and learning experience projects, and not always something done to make money. Even with this said, more then like the average person would not put 99.9% of those games in the same games as "Tripe A titles" such as God of War (I don't like this game), Halo, or final fantasy. I leave 0.01% open because I know for a fact that I have not played every single flash game, and by one miracle someone may have made that one flash game so unbelievable amazing that the illuminati has locked it away for the world to never know. Back to my point, this leads me to the schools with the whole game design program... Let me start by saying, my university had this program, which I was in at the time, lucky after our new instructor who has/is still working for Disney and pixar came i and lit a fire under the school The game design thing is being abolished, and is rising from the ashes as entertainment art & design (with game art just being a side track).

Colleges/universities that make who courses dedicated to game design is really hurting artist, because they are limiting what they are capable of doing, plus lying what it takes to make a game. My school was the only one in the region that had a programing track in the game design program, and then they abolished it. Artists, don't and can't make a game, you can give us all the engines you want, and all you will get back is what can be done in that engine. It is Programmers that makes the game, artist work along and within the world visually. So without programming how are we going to make a game?

There was much more, but you get the point of what I'm saying.

+42 Karma | 6 Replies
November 27, 2010 10:04:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

And what is the deal with airline food? I mean the only choices they give you are "yes" or "no". Amirite folks?

November 27, 2010 10:25:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I like airline food.

November 27, 2010 11:25:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Swiss Knight,
And what is the deal with airline food? I mean the only choices they give you are "yes" or "no". Amirite folks?
Lets not, but say we tried ok?

November 28, 2010 1:59:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's a very very niche field to be sure.

At Stardock, the Producer is the king.  The designer just creates the general outline and the producer is the one who makes it come to life.  Our projects live and die based on the ability of the producer.

At GPG, the designer is king.  Demigod's lead designer was Mike Marr who took over for Scathis after he left.  The Producer was Bart Kijanka. GPG's games live or die based on the ability of the designer.

November 28, 2010 6:16:23 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I want to say something about Dungeon Siege 2, but I'll hold my tongue.  Really. 

(Kidding, I liked it. )

Quoting OMG_blackmage,
Lets not, but say we tried ok?

I think we should just not mention it ever again.

November 28, 2010 11:29:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
It's a very very niche field to be sure.

At Stardock, the Producer is the king.  The designer just creates the general outline and the producer is the one who makes it come to life.  Our projects live and die based on the ability of the producer.

At GPG, the designer is king.  Demigod's lead designer was Mike Marr who took over for Scathis after he left.  The Producer was Bart Kijanka. GPG's games live or die based on the ability of the designer.

But from my  understanding, No "Game artist" went straight into making games and stayed there their whole life. They've always had other things as well, whether it was freelance work; as graphic design, or movie concepts, and so on. I would expect the same to be said about programmers.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.