The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Generic shooters

By on November 19, 2010 7:08:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First let me state this, 90% of shooting games I have played, I couldn't stand. They were all generic, the same shit just a different toilet. Modern warfare, call of duty, and everything else you can mention even halo (one of the few shooters I actually enjoy.) Note this is all my personal opinion so any fan boys out there who's going to get offended, squash it.

I honestly don't see how people flock to these games so fast, especially those that are military themed games. I actually looked to expect games like call of duty, and modern warfare to hole both a strong strategic element  along with a mindless shooter, but it disappoints me every time I play it or even seen it played. The new call of duty black ops is no different from what I have seen and played. It did nothing but follow the same generic (walk around , bang bang your dead) set up I see in almost every fps. I went into it optimistically really giving it the benefit of the doubt, and the more I played it, the more I was disappointed finding spots and areas, that in team game that could have been used for trenches and defensive set ups, or openings in walls that were just the right size for moving around undetected, just to end up finding out the developers didn't bother enough to actually add these separate elements for a more dynamic game play, and not to mention more interesting.

Maybe its just me, I have a strong love for rpg, and rts. With that noted I did say I loved halo. When I played halo it held a certain amount of chaos which I played a rts (when two armies at their strongest points clashed.) many times I ended up in long drawn out battles where one wrong  move could decide the out come of the confrontation. Halo reach Again this is just my personal feeling towards shooters lately.

+42 Karma | 3 Replies
November 19, 2010 7:19:40 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I honestly don't see how people flock to these games so fast, especially those that are military themed games.
Never underestimate the ability of Americans to idolize the military. I for one am surprised they aren't selling more, that the games aren't more military-centered, and that the recruiting people haven't seized on them yet.

The new call of duty black ops is no different from what I have seen and played. It did nothing but follow the same generic (walk around , bang bang your dead) set up I see in almost every fps. I went into it optimistically really giving it the benefit of the doubt, and the more I played it, the more I was disappointed finding spots and areas, that in team game that could have been used for trenches and defensive set ups, or openings in walls that were just the right size for moving around undetected, just to end up finding out the developers didn't bother enough to actually add these separate elements for a more dynamic game play, and not to mention more interesting.
I fear we've been hiding from the inevitable for far too long as is, and now it's starting to get noticed: I am referring to the fact that video games have become very much mainstream entertainment, with all the shallow mass-market drivellyness that entails. These sort of games I think aren't really designed to appeal to serious gamers- they're designed to appeal to that great mass of people who think American Idol is brilliant television.

November 19, 2010 7:39:25 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Never underestimate the ability of Americans to idolize the military. I for one am surprised they aren't selling more, that the games aren't more military-centered, and that the recruiting people haven't seized on them yet.

I dont believe it's that much of military idolizing, maybe it's just that the big explosions stupid fun appeals and fits with people that play these games. Remember back when Half life was very popular? In that game the military were the enemy. 

November 19, 2010 7:45:19 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I dont believe it's that much of military idolizing, maybe it's just that the big explosions stupid fun appeals and fits with people that play these games. Remember back when Half life was very popular? In that game the military were the enemy.
Touche. That would explain Mythbusters, as well. I've always had issues with the military, which makes me unnecessarily paranoid when it comes to games like CoD and the reasons for their success.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000296   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.