The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Survey - XvX Vent Bal Games - Should I have some again?

By on October 25, 2010 1:47:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+182

For those of you that don't know/remember, we had an event awhile back that got more and more people playing together.  I hosted several games that required everyone to join in voice chat (didn't matter if you had a mic to speak).  We basically waited for folks to join voice chat and helped them do so.  Then, we'd play balanced games based on whoever was in game.  The previous event was a success (read here if you like:  https://forums.demigodthegame.com/365726)

Anyway, I'm not sure if this will be useful or not based on current population.  I think when I did the last one, we had > 1,000 folks still playing.  The overall goal is to bring the community together and get new folks playing with us oldies.  If you are interested or think this would be a good idea, let me know here.  Thanks.  I'm all for getting more and more of us playing together and having fun as the community really is small. 

Locked Post 11 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 25, 2010 1:47:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

NT

October 25, 2010 2:06:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it's a good idea, for sure.

I wouldn't be helping you around much, but I think that getting a few Vent Balance games might be a good way to help the newbies from the sale. It's been a few weeks, so they are either frustrated and have left or they are familiar enough with the game they can start getting better and really WANTING to get better. 

October 25, 2010 2:06:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

on the other hand, isn't Vent Bal basically what we have already? 

October 25, 2010 4:15:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No.  We currently have Vent Piss Off Cause We've Got A Better Player Than You Coming Oh Wait He's Actually Not So Hey Buddy Do You Want To Still Play? Oh Wait There Might Be Someone Else We Rather Play With More So Get Lost games.

October 25, 2010 5:27:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol a lot of that is because someone was playing the game before.  Personally I think it's ruder to force them out of a game for a new person just because they went afk for a minute or two to take a piss or a smoke or get a drink w/e.  Ofc.. some people just go afk for extended periods without saying something, in which case it's "oh.. guess they aren't coming back.  You're in."  It's simple standing in line policy

Not all of it to be sure.. but often times that is the case.

October 25, 2010 10:06:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Personally, I'd be delighted to take part in such games. I feel that now that I am more or less familiar with the basics, I should stop playing casual unbalanced games w/o Vent, for all the obvious reasons. Winning games against weaker noob/mid teams does not help me become a better player, while losing on noob/mid skill level is usually a direct consequence of non-coordinated teamplay (it can be educative in retrospect via replay, but only to a certain degree). Also, trying to coordinate your team via team chat is quite frustrating more often than it is not.

October 25, 2010 10:08:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm always up for this. I for one often find myself in the position of, "Hmm, it's me and some pugs vs. nomilarac, Zex, and broken_strong. Guess I'd better play Oak, AGAIN."

Or, "Here are some total noobs cause no one else is on. Doesn't matter who I play, we're going to win."

It is good to be able to practice a Dg that you really want to get better at, but never dare to play against talented players for fear of costing your team the game. One of the most fun matches I played recently was vs. chessus in a pug game with some <10 game players where I got to lane my Hybrid Tb vs. his Oak. That matchup was fun and challenging, but the game as a whole was very laid back. ('Til my computer had it's once every few dozen games crash. Sigh.)

There are many good reasons for mixing it up. Another was watching Zex the other night play a Yeti Sedna vs. peterdumptruck's minion Oak and a minion Erebus. Hilarious. We ended up winning, but not before Zex got a weee bit frustrated with his build choice.

October 25, 2010 10:13:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A bit off-topic, sorry.

('Til my computer had it's once every few dozen games crash. Sigh.)

Blue screen, physical memory dump & stuff? I'm only asking because I suspect I have the same problem. In my opinion, it's graphics card-related. It usually happens when there is a lot of creeps/spell effects on screen AND you are trying to zoom in/zoom out. However, that's not always the case. The statistics are roughly the same: it crashes once in 10-12 games. 

October 25, 2010 10:57:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting BadDaddy8,
I'm always up for this. I for one often find myself in the position of, "Hmm, it's me and some pugs vs. nomilarac, Zex, and broken_strong. Guess I'd better play Oak, AGAIN."

Or, "Here are some total noobs cause no one else is on. Doesn't matter who I play, we're going to win."

It is good to be able to practice a Dg that you really want to get better at, but never dare to play against talented players for fear of costing your team the game. One of the most fun matches I played recently was vs. chessus in a pug game with some <10 game players where I got to lane my Hybrid Tb vs. his Oak. That matchup was fun and challenging, but the game as a whole was very laid back. ('Til my computer had it's once every few dozen games crash. Sigh.)

There are many good reasons for mixing it up. Another was watching Zex the other night play a Yeti Sedna vs. peterdumptruck's minion Oak and a minion Erebus. Hilarious. We ended up winning, but not before Zex got a weee bit frustrated with his build choice.

ended up being speed pounce sedna with yetis LOL

October 25, 2010 11:19:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting IN1,
A bit off-topic, sorry.

('Til my computer had it's once every few dozen games crash. Sigh.)

Blue screen, physical memory dump & stuff? I'm only asking because I suspect I have the same problem. In my opinion, it's graphics card-related. It usually happens when there is a lot of creeps/spell effects on screen AND you are trying to zoom in/zoom out. However, that's not always the case. The statistics are roughly the same: it crashes once in 10-12 games. 

Had a forum post about this a while back:

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/380488

Is it a radeon 5xxx series? I have a 5750 and they do just seem to be glitchy. ATI released a hotfix for the 5770, which I read was okay for the 5750 (though they didn't bother to say that themselves), which seemed to fix most of the problems. (I was getting corduroy screens of death every 2-3 days, sometimes 2-3 times a day.) It isn't perfect but it is better. I only crash about every 2 dozen games, and sometimes it is just frozen. I have an i7, so it is a decent machine. I have not noticed a correlation with the number of units on screen, but if you have an older computer that may be the case. The  only correlation I have noticed is that crashes inevitably, inevitably happen in a perfectly balanced, well-played on both sides, back and forth game with good players. Then my computer inevitably craps out.

October 25, 2010 11:31:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is it a radeon 5xxx series? I have a 5750 and they do just seem to be glitchy.

Yes, I have a Radeon 5-something. The computer is not that old (we've bought it last July). Anyway, thanks for the link, I'll check it out. And, of course, my condolescences on being unable to finish well-played balanced games in a proper manner (even though it was a somewhat ironic observation, obviously ).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time: