The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Riding with the King

By on October 24, 2010 7:46:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dlarimit

Join Date 10/2010
+20

Based on your stats, I'd love to play with you - it was a mid game, after all. 

That's what I wrote to KingBingo replying to one of his posts in my Beowulf_GER-related thread. Actually, I'll have to take it back. Stats lie. In the future, I won't play this guy, unless he is the member of the opposing team and I feel the urge to stomp someone. I have no idea how someone with his number of matches played and win:loss ratio can be a total amateur, but that's the sad truth. Recently, we had a match where I + KingBingo played vs. Quincrane (a nice Japanese guy and a solid player) + ironically enough, no other than Beowulf_GER. King was hosting the game. He picked random DG, which made me respectful in advance, so to say (well, it usually means a player have mastered this game to a degree he doesn't care which DG to play).

Imagine my dismay, when KingBingo: ( a ) adamantly refused to join me at hp flag and put a coordinated pressure on Beowulf's Reg (totally justified tactically, since Beowulf was a weaker player of the two); ( b ) managed to get himself killed 2 times in the first 3 minutes trying to solo Quin's Erebus (maybe he expected me to port in and babysit him each time his health was low, I don't know...) supported by Reg's Snipe; ( c ) authoritatively told me to abandon the hp flag, stop leveling up, and "do something else, since we won't lose the hp flag anyway" (???). I was stupefied by that last suggestion, but decided to comply (he is a more experienced player, after all). After which, of course, our hp flag fell into opponents' hands within 15 seconds. Also, our gallant DA remembered to angrily tell me when he was busy feeding Erebus for the third time (I think) that I should send him a monk (implying I'd have to micromanage the stupid bastard all the time: DA is highly mobile and with Swap - though, admittedly, King never used Swap for some reason - monks are bound to lose target and inevitably end up just standing somewhere being absolutely useless).

The crowning achievement, though, was the guy has left the game (i. e. he just quit, making the game result "N/A" or whatever) after I politely complimented the opponents on good game and told I've seen enough and wish to concede due to my partner's utterly amateurish attitude. King apparently didn't want to concede, so I was forced to exit (I wasn't a host, mind you). Just to remind you: the same guy was complaining at length here on the forums about quitter hosts and people that lack communication skills during the game...

Locked Post 10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 24, 2010 9:32:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Erm ok.....

We were up against a good player and a noob. So I took random. Not because I have mastered the game inside out, far from it. But because looking at the stats it would have been a stomp if we both went with tier 1’s. The guy had about 70 games and 35%. Although I admit the other guy had great stats But then so do you, so I tried to balance out against the noob.  

I got DA, which was good. Not a character I play a lot, but I wanted a challenge so ideal. It helped balance the game. It seemed however, you don’t really like a challenging game. You want a stomp as you mention above. Fine, its that’s your thing and you just care about stats, I don’t, I’m more interested in having a tough game that makes you feel you have achieved something.  

And yes, it’s perfectly true erb got me by chasing me down back past my towers a couple of time. However, in all fairness if the game was quiet so laggy I definitely would have got my pot away in time. But fair play, yes I did die a couple of times early on while I was getting use to DA, not great but not a disaster, and in fairness DA get stronger later.

The third death was a real eye opener though. You came over with your sed and with full health and mana. Your just by behind the tower. So as you come I tail erb and pull him back to the tower. You are within healing range, and you did, nothing. No heal, no monks, not even auto attack. The guy killed me as I ran past you and you did nothing, not even touch him. I thought maybe your phone had just rung or something, and it’s not in my nature to stress at people, so I let me go and didn’t say anything.

You also died fight 1v2 I might add. After I said ‘OOM’ and ‘b’ follow by ‘back’ I had to withdraw or be killed, yet you stayed sat in the middle. I tried to encourage you to withdraw, you didn’t move. I assumed you were still on the phone or something and still distracted.

So after that I avoid any fighting, and just look to hold flags (cat 2v2) and level up. Now lets look at the good side. We were both higher level than them. We were warscore 3 going on 4, while they had just got 2. All we needed to do was pace ourselves, level up and maintain warscore. Its easy to turn around a game if you try.

However, with the game not even 5/6 minutes in you announce on ALL that your quitting. And you sit by the regen crystal.

True we were behind on a couple of early kills, but we were ahead on level and warscore. We could have won despite having worse demis then them.

But I can guarantee if you  just sit by the regen crystal without even trying to play than we are going to loose. I tried very nicely to encourage you that we could win, and I most defiantly believe we would have done.  I have come back from far worse many times by sticking it out.

Maybe you have never won a game that did not start well. Maybe you have no interest in playing games that might actually be challenging as opposed to stomping unbalance teams. Personally when i see unbalanced teams I pick a lower tier demi or go random, to make it interesting. I see that to do so with you was a mistake because you give up trying if things don’t start great. You have no interest in anything that is not a stomp fest.

Maybe you should stop worrying about your stats so much. Stop trying to play against teams were from the stats and the demi selection the game was over before it started.

The games that make you a better player are not the ones where you had the advantage all along. They are the ones were you have the disadvantage. Where things are tough.

If you think I’m a bad player, fine, think whatever you like mate. But how about you play me 1v1 and see what happens.

(By the way I’m far worse with Occ than I am DA, but I would have stuck with it anyway)

October 24, 2010 9:37:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And your point 'c' total fiction. Never said that. And point 'a' You were holding hp fine. So I was capping the other two flags, and I might add that's why we were winning on warscore so much. Something that we could have used to win the game if you had not quit.

Oh by the way: Conquest is not Slaughter. Conquest is Dominate.

Furthermore, you were playing sed. You don't need two monks following you around. You could have easily sent one to me.

October 24, 2010 3:20:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sadly, a chat log is not recorded in DG. You are not telling the truth. And quite blatantly, at that. The only other possibility (a very slight one) I can think of is your command of English being so imperfect you cannot formulate your thoughts clearly (then you probably should not make tactical suggestions at all, since they are so utterly confusing). You've told me (in a somewhat nervous tone, right after you got butchered by Erebus the second time) to abandon the hp flag and start doing something else. Your words, not mine: personally, I have no idea what you meant to say by that. Moreover, you never said "oom" and "b" (the latter of which is totally stupid, BTW: I know when to "b", trust me, and if I don't... well, it won't help me much). Also, you have forgotten to mention I died 2v1 while trying to save your ass (which was totally avoidable in the first place) when you decided to fight bravely 1v2 for a third time in a row. When Sedna ports in, she ports in to heal you -  but no, instead of getting an easy 2v1 kill against Quin's Erebus you were just running away in total panic, out of Heal's range, which made me chase you feeling like a total cretin.

The monks issue: FYI, I play Sedna almost exclusively (though I've begun to study Ice TB and Ooze UB gradually: yes, I like less popular/more interesting builds and DGs). I never attach a monk to the harassment-type assassin DGs (highly mobile, always on the move). The monk ends up stuck somewhere in less than half a minute, so no one at all benefits from his healing. Pusher/defender DGs with their relatively limited movement options and almost fixed positions are an altogether different matter, of course.

But my main point is this: all the situations you try to justify here were easily avoidable have you tried to think strategically for a moment instead of attempting to noob-rush that Erebus alone. One doesn't have to be a Napoleon reincarnated to realize it's better to hold hp flag all the time + concentrate on the weaker player of the two. By going with me to the hp flag you would have helped our team to achieve both goals at once (I'm 95% sure we could pull off an early kill on Beowulf, that guy is overly cocky and overextends himself mercilessly). Early warscore advantage from flags is totally insignificant in the long run. So instead of fighting to death like a moron for that mana flag, you should have listened to me, that's all: I have proposed this simple strategy implicitly in the team chat.

If I still have a replay of this nightmare (I think I do), I'll post it. Otherwise, I suspect you'll continue to claim we were doing just fine and feeding that Erebus was a part of your grand scheme. 

PS: Oh, and I'm still waiting for your explanation as to why have you stolen the victory from those guys by quitting the game as a host? I'm going to concede to Quincrane today because I feel he deserves it (as I deserve my defeat for having an inept teammate, no doubt). Well... You know what? You don't have to explain: in this light, your humble skill vs. high win rate issue is not so enigmatic anymore.

PPS: Personally when i see unbalanced teams I pick a lower tier demi or go random, to make it interesting.

I have to answer this. First of all,  I play Sedna. Sedna, goddamit! Not UB, not Erebus, not Oak, not Rook (top-tier DGs which can be your "random choice" with 40% probability). SEDNA. I trust this counters your lengthy rant about me playing OP only. Secondly, it's fine if you want to have fun with your dilettante DA 1v1. I do it when I wish to experiment with new builds/setups all the time. But to play something you are not acquainted with at your teammates' expense?! Excuse me, but I think it's a very selfish idea, to say the least.

October 24, 2010 3:35:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Early warscore advantage from flags is totally insignificant in the long run

1- You get currency a few minutes earlier (WS1-3). This can be a major benefit since even just 250 gold at that stage of the game is huge. 

2- If you hold 2 flags, you get more gold and XP as a team, especially with XP swapping (a DA on the mana side should only be XP swapping anyway. He cannot fight an Erebus early game and he needs to rotate to power level. Sedna can hold against an overlevel'd Erebus anyway). 

3- doubling up on one side risks losing a tower which can be a pain mid game, and awards the other team 300 gold. 

HOWEVER

From levels 8-10 and during warscores 4-6, I completely agree. Minotaurs and flagcaps do not level you up quite so fast anymore, and falling behind a single warscore in the range of 4-6 is a nonissue. 

---

The "monk floating in the air on the corner" is overall a good thing. It does suck because it can't help contest the flag, but it's in a place where it still tags creeps (and demigods if they get close enough) and heals your buddy without walking too far forward and dying. 

---

Also please note that while Sedna is GREAT at HOLDING the hp flag.

Once she loses it it is quite difficult for her to get it back against most other demigods. This is true for every demigod, to an extent, but some demigods are more glass cannon and are better at pushing than holding (Hybrid TB being the #1 candidate for that), and Sedna benefits more from the HP flag more than other demigods (frail/low hp does mean she gets less of a raw bonus, but that bonus is multiplied by 50% because of Healing Wind II), and is punished by losing it more (she has a harder time eating through that extra hp unless she has a strong pounce and two helms). 

October 24, 2010 3:47:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh, my master Hedgie chimes in Thanks for your comments, they are insightful and informative as ever.

I agree with your flags point in general, but in this case I think it was totally justified to double up on hp side early. You'll see for yourself what I'm talking about when I'll get the replay uploaded.

The second and the third points: hard to argue here. Please note my reference was not to the monks "floating in the air on the corner" (that's a strategic placement I actually like to do, thanks to all the benefits you've listed), but to the monks getting stuck in, well, totally inappropriate areas  I always do a certain amount of micromanagement, of course, but my top priority is holding the flag, and sometimes things get a bit hairy, so needless to say I cannot really prioritize this.

October 25, 2010 2:21:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting IN1,
Sadly, a chat log is not recorded in DG. You are not telling the truth. And quite blatantly, at that. The only other possibility (a very slight one) I can think of is your command of English being so imperfect you cannot formulate your thoughts clearly (then you probably should not make tactical suggestions at all, since they are so utterly confusing). You've told me (in a somewhat nervous tone, right after you got butchered by Erebus the second time) to abandon the hp flag and start doing something else. Your words, not mine: personally, I have no idea what you meant to say by that. Moreover, you never said "oom" and "b" (the latter of which is totally stupid, BTW: I know when to "b", trust me, and if I don't... well, it won't help me much). Also, you have forgotten to mention I died 2v1 while trying to save your ass (which was totally avoidable in the first place) when you decided to fight bravely 1v2 for a third time in a row. When Sedna ports in, she ports in to heal you -  but no, instead of getting an easy 2v1 kill against Quin's Erebus you were just running away in total panic, out of Heal's range, which made me chase you feeling like a total cretin.

The monks issue: FYI, I play Sedna almost exclusively (though I've begun to study Ice TB and Ooze UB gradually: yes, I like less popular/more interesting builds and DGs). I never attach a monk to the harassment-type assassin DGs (highly mobile, always on the move). The monk ends up stuck somewhere in less than half a minute, so no one at all benefits from his healing. Pusher/defender DGs with their relatively limited movement options and almost fixed positions are an altogether different matter, of course.

But my main point is this: all the situations you try to justify here were easily avoidable have you tried to think strategically for a moment instead of attempting to noob-rush that Erebus alone. One doesn't have to be a Napoleon reincarnated to realize it's better to hold hp flag all the time + concentrate on the weaker player of the two. By going with me to the hp flag you would have helped our team to achieve both goals at once (I'm 95% sure we could pull off an early kill on Beowulf, that guy is overly cocky and overextends himself mercilessly). Early warscore advantage from flags is totally insignificant in the long run. So instead of fighting to death like a moron for that mana flag, you should have listened to me, that's all: I have proposed this simple strategy implicitly in the team chat.

If I still have a replay of this nightmare (I think I do), I'll post it. Otherwise, I suspect you'll continue to claim we were doing just fine and feeding that Erebus was a part of your grand scheme. 

PS: Oh, and I'm still waiting for your explanation as to why have you stolen the victory from those guys by quitting the game as a host? I'm going to concede to Quincrane today because I feel he deserves it (as I deserve my defeat for having an inept teammate, no doubt). Well... You know what? You don't have to explain: in this light, your humble skill vs. high win rate issue is not so enigmatic anymore.

PPS: Personally when i see unbalanced teams I pick a lower tier demi or go random, to make it interesting.

I have to answer this. First of all,  I play Sedna. Sedna, goddamit! Not UB, not Erebus, not Oak, not Rook (top-tier DGs which can be your "random choice" with 40% probability). SEDNA. I trust this counters your lengthy rant about me playing OP only. Secondly, it's fine if you want to have fun with your dilettante DA 1v1. I do it when I wish to experiment with new builds/setups all the time. But to play something you are not acquainted with at your teammates' expense?! Excuse me, but I think it's a very selfish idea, to say the least.  

omg you need to get laid.

October 25, 2010 2:22:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting IN1,

PS: Oh, and I'm still waiting for your explanation as to why have you stolen the victory from those guys by quitting the game as a host?

I did not, you sat at the crystal for several minutes bitching and then you quit. Not me. 

Quoting IN1,

If I still have a replay of this nightmare (I think I do), I'll post it.

Please do, I played bad at first which I do not deny for a second. And then you sulked at the crystal rather than make any attempt to turn the game around.  Facts. 

October 25, 2010 2:25:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You know what?

What ever dude, I've got a life and your way too invested in this little crusade. Hate me, make people suspect me, whatever turns you on kid. 

I just don't care and be bothered to play who said what and did what. 

Bye...

October 25, 2010 3:42:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

omg you need to get laid.

whatever turns you on kid. 

I've got a life and your way too invested in this little crusade

I applaud your impeccable logic! If you think your disgusting attempt at condescending faux-grown-up attitude is going to impress someone, you are mistaken. "Facts", to quote you, are that you happen to be a hypocrite, dear sir. Bitching on the forums at great length about quitter hosts, then exiting the game you hosted so our defeat won't get recorded, then denying the very fact of it. "Facts".

I did not, you sat at the crystal for several minutes bitching and then you quit. Not me. 

Please, do not pretend to be more stupid than you really are (here I was really tempted to comment on your IQ as reflected in your posts...). You were hosting that game. When the host quits, the game result either becomes N/A or the game is not recorded in the games log at all (that's what happened in this case). In other words, your behavior was inappropriate, especially for a person advocating fair play. Is it clear now or shall I have to repeat myself all over again?

PS: If you prefer to call apologizing to our opponents for leaving the game and congratulating them on good game "bitching", I don't know what to say... 

October 25, 2010 9:44:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you want to argue, do it in private.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000187   Page Render Time: