The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Looking for, ahem, skilled noobs :)

By on October 10, 2010 9:39:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dlarimit

Join Date 10/2010
+20

Actually, that's not a complete oxymoron. I'm new to the whole Demigod online multiplayer business. Currently, I have played a dozen online matches. Unfortunately for me, my winning ratio is ~80%. Unfortunately -- because such stats cause two reaction types: (a) in noob-only games that I tried to join: "WTF, man, you're not a noob! 80% wins! kick him NOW, host!"; ( in skilled-only games: "IN1 who? is this your second acc, huh?" (last night I tried to join a game hoted by marchiandu, with DarkLiath and 4Nana in: the host has begun to interrogate me as to my "true identity" to the point I felt really awkward and decided to leave!). Oh, almost forgot. There is a third possible reaction type: the intermediate level players tend to accuse me of being a "noob basher"

Anyway, I'm looking for someone, not really a pro player, more like a reasonably skilled newcomer that can be my more or less permanent game partner. Demigod is a good game that can be a lot of fun, but nothing is more frustrating than being in the same team with some 400+ matches veteran Rook obsessively fighting to death for a brilliance flag on Cataract while leaving the fortitude-gold lane totally unguarded and spending money leisurely on those cool shiny items instead of getting the necessary citadel upgrades in time. Of course, those guys refuse "to take orders" from noobs, so such matches are a rather unpleasant experience

Sorry for a rant, got frustrated a bit,

IN

Locked Post 65 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 16, 2010 1:52:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Anyway, in the past, people have simply opened threads indicating players to avoid. 

I've decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and spoken to him in Impulse chat. He claims: (a) that his computer just disconnected all of a sudden; ( that he was winning anyway, and since my tone was so aggressive (it wasn't) he isn't going to collaborate. FYI, the situation at the moment when his computer so conveniently disconnected was as follows: 6 out of 9 flags mine, gold permanently locked, warscore 11000:6000, my giants have taken half of his towers down, while all of mine were intact... You get my drift, and if you don't - well, I have the replay then. Look, I don't care much about stats: I host 1v1 (see below) games just to experiment with new setups, knowing I'll probably be forced to concede. Hell, I even concede when I'm in a winning position, but have absolutely no interest in the current match going on for another 10 minutes! What bugs me here is this approach: talking noobs into playing with him (he was well-spoken and cultured), then quitting when they suddenly begin to bash him.

Well, that and I don't enjoy 1v1 all that much

Neither do I. It's a team game, goddamit! But the difference between us is I have a lot to learn about this game yet. Now, experimenting mid-game in 2v2 or 3v3 would be unfair as far as my teammates are concerned. In 1v1, on the other hand, only my own stats suffer from being defeated.

October 16, 2010 1:54:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

eh the only thing is that builds successful in 1v1 aren't always the same builds that are successful in team matches, and vice versa.

October 16, 2010 1:58:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Of course. That's well understood. But they would still be viable in 2v2, at least in the majority of cases, right?

October 16, 2010 2:05:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

eh true  But some 2v2 builds not successful in 1v1 (i.e. speed rook).  But yes, any build successful in 1v1 should be good to go in 2v2

October 16, 2010 2:15:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That's the next step. For example, there is a lot of solid Tower Rooks around (not that it is particularly challenging to be solid with that build). Now, Tower Rook + ninja Sedna make a great team for any 2v2 (I'm trying to play with/against mids only now: noob bashing is nice as far as self-esteem goes, but very harmful otherwise). The same is true regarding tank UBs. Probably the most popular DG out there, so no problem finding a decent teammate (again, not a challenging DG to be decent with). After I learn the ins and outs of 2v2, I'll feel ready to join OMG vent channel to get my ass kicked 1000 times in a row by the likes of you and OMG-pacov. So I guess I am a masochist after all, huh?

October 16, 2010 2:26:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A question for the Elder Ones Can I get FP for fighting AI in Pantheon games? I'm impatient to test WotS and CoN, and don't want to play another 40 games to be able to do that... I don't feel comfortable at all with conceding 20 times in a row with my friend's account to farm a sufficient amount of FP, but I'll be forced to cheat if there is no other way :/ 

October 16, 2010 5:03:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

INI, I will be online a good chunk of tommorow, I'm going to guess.

Hit me up and I can give you some input on your Sed.

October 16, 2010 5:04:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

and I mean on Vent, of course (:

October 16, 2010 5:09:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That's great, Hedgie. Thanks a lot!   

October 16, 2010 10:26:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

2Hedgie:

Objectively, my Sedna sucks. Yes, I win a vast majority of games when not deliberately experimenting with weird (= interesting) setups, but these victories are all against mids, who only play 4 top-tier DGs (Oak, Rook, Erebus, UB) and, God only knows why, Reg. They don't know Sedna, QoT and Oculus at all, and usually are not too familiar with DA, either. Thus, the builds I use lack subtlety and balance, sadly  While I do understand that Sed's real forte is 'expert' skills like Silence and MP, I almost never rely on them *blush* Instead, I either go for a brute force approach (aka duelist build) or for a pure speed approach (aka ninja build). I wasn't successful with more balanced/hybrid/sophisticated builds, which evidently means I lack skill (and so do my opponents). Yes, the builds I use are perfectly adequate ATM, yet that doesn't mean I'm unaware of my all too obvious shortcomings. 

October 16, 2010 1:03:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I know. I play with people with 0 games all the time. Me and Thunder frequently took terrible newbs in 3v3 games and tried to help them. 

October 16, 2010 2:03:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well.. easy way to get some fast favor.. change the game options and do an ai match.  lvl 20, filthy rich, fast spawn, fast game speed, low towers, high grunt strength, warscore 10, fast flag cap.  Then do prison, buy giants, and walk up to take the valor flag.  Now, you don't get favor for the ai, but you get favor for getting lvl 20 and / or winning a game with each demigod.  The whole process takes under 2 minutes per win, so do it with each demigod once and see where you're at.

Just remember, you have to do this in the multiplayer lobby with ai, not in single player scrimmage.  Also, the favor you see at the end is meaningless against ai.  You only get favor for achievements against ai on multiplayer.

October 16, 2010 3:05:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I know. I play with people with 0 games all the time. Me and Thunder frequently took terrible newbs in 3v3 games and tried to help them. 

"I know" refers to your being aware of less advanced players' usual DG choices and unfamiliarity with Sedna/QoT/Oculus? Or are you just sarcastic? For some reason, you don't really strike me as an altruist type, but maybe it's only because of your avatar

October 16, 2010 3:18:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

BTW, I have no idea as to why Hedgie's excellent Definitive Sedna Guide (https://forums.demigodthegame.com/388569) is not linked here: https://forums.demigodthegame.com/349958.

May 3, 2011 1:30:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, even though the post was ment to be for another issue it helped me a lot to think about some new builds.. thanks guys and girls

Oh, btw, don't hesitate to use sedna's Yetis.. They are quite powerful, (even if they are a bit bugged) especially at level 15, when they hit with more powerful swings. And with a Nature's Reckoning  they solve the difficulties against any creeps. Also, yetis are not used regularly, so people think they are weak and they "fall in the trap". 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: