The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Next Laptop

By on October 6, 2010 10:03:21 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

My beloved Thinkpad T400 is starting to get a bit long in the teeth. It’s 3 years old now, the longest I’ve ever kept a laptop as my primary non-programming machine.

I’m thinking that I want to wait until USB 3 is in these laptops but I’m not sure how long that’ll be.

+77 Karma | 45 Replies
December 23, 2010 6:46:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have the same machine but mine has different specs. Mine has a dual core AMD CPU and 3 GB DDR3 memory. Strange.

Not really. Sometimes you can find the same machine with different specs. Its like buying a car. Some have a standard transmisson with no A/C (been there done that) and see the exact same car with an automatic, A/C, P/W and all the other bells and whistles. Very much depends on how much you're willing to spend. 

December 23, 2010 4:32:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I guess I'm just looking for a little more reassurance that other people configured their laptops with their swap space, cookies, etc. on their SSD drive (and they've been doing okay for awhile) before I go out and get a laptop with nothing but a 128GB SSD.

December 23, 2010 7:12:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting tetleytea,
I guess I'm just looking for a little more reassurance that other people configured their laptops with their swap space, cookies, etc. on their SSD drive (and they've been doing okay for awhile) before I go out and get a laptop with nothing but a 128GB SSD.

If you're talking Win7, it won't use an SSD for a pagefile last I read about it.

I'm not 100% positive on that, but pretty sure.

December 28, 2010 10:02:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't think you need a pagefile if you have more than enough RAM to run all of your apps and Windows.

December 28, 2010 10:12:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, I was thinking that.  I don't think I even want to thrash VM.  I would rather have the crash.   But there's still the temporary internet files from your browser. 

December 28, 2010 10:21:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

"If you're talking Win7, it won't use an SSD for a pagefile last I read about it.

I'm not 100% positive on that, but pretty sure"

Win 7 can put a page file on a SSD.... I have one.

Kona... Win7 will still WANT a Pagefile...no matter how much ram you have.

Frustrating thing is.... the more ram you have the bigger Page it'll want to have.

60 gig SSD ...12gig of ram... pagefile is... 12,875,587,584 ... Hiberfil [my UPS wants it] 9,656,688,640

Realistically what that means is... the minimum 'workable' OS drive for win7 64 is about 60gig ... assuming BIG stuff...like games, etc are located on another drive [which mine are]...

December 28, 2010 10:55:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Indeed, I was wrong - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx

Guess I should look before I talk, but usually I remember the facts right

December 29, 2010 5:14:04 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I agree with everyone saying go SSD.

I have a one year old 17" notebook with a 160G Intel SSD. I have Windows 7, 4G actual mem, and an 8G pagefile on the SSD. The SSD is showing 98% remaining life. Not a chance I'll use all of that at this rate and I'm a fairly heavy user. I also have a larger capacity 7200 rpm second drive, the drive which shipped with this notebook. I use it for large one-time stuff such as archives and movies. But all my intensive HD use is on the Intel SSD. Boot time is so good that I still very much enjoy it after a year, it is still fun to boot Windows at this speed. A good SSD is hands down the best single thing most heavy computer users can do to improve performance, given that they've already decided to make the obvious upgrades to large (4G+) amounts of memory and to multi-core 2Ghz+ cpus.

December 29, 2010 6:16:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How much do you think SSD goes down in price this year?  I'm in the market myself, but my budget is $1400 max.

I'd want quad-core 4GB ram and an SSD. 

Last laptop was a G71G from Asus, it's been not that reliable, but it's kept working otuside of one minor maintenance case.  6 Gigs of RAM was overkill.  I don't pay a lot of high-end PC games though, but I want what I do play to be fast.

December 29, 2010 1:23:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I just picked up an ASUS All in One PC and sold my laptop.  (Well, am selling my laptop, the buyer isn't ready yet.)

It's got HDMI in so when my brother isn't here I'll be using it for its screen   Way better than mine

I can see snagging a 128GB in 2011 since I've already been waiting and the prices are becoming decent, but I can't see what I would actually do with it that would be all that fascinatingly different from what I'm doing now.

December 29, 2010 1:38:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

it's supposed to be much, much faster in accessing data.  Would make a real difference in some games.

December 29, 2010 3:25:32 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I understand that, and that's fascinating, but aside from loading things faster nothing would really change.  It's not a necessity IMO.

December 29, 2010 10:02:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

People are talking in terms of 2 drives on their laptops.   Only the big laptops have 2 bays (?).   What about having only 1 bay and that is an SSD?

December 29, 2010 10:42:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
tetlytea.... if you have only one bay....for an SSD only.... then make it as big as you can reasonably afford....128gig would just about be fine.... as long as you can offload 'stuff' to an external HD via USB ...
December 30, 2010 4:15:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Or esata yeah.  I would never use USB 2 for a drive

December 30, 2010 4:42:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

usb 2 is BETTER than usb 1.1 OR parallel OR even SERIAL, but I have only seen parallel, usb 1.1/2.0/3.0 & esata drive boxes

harpo

December 31, 2010 2:25:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting harpo99999,
usb 2 is BETTER than usb 1.1 OR parallel OR even SERIAL, but I have only seen parallel, usb 1.1/2.0/3.0 & esata drive boxes

harpo

yeah, it's also better than ps/2 ports and VLB and ISA cards.

...but what does that have to do with anything?

December 31, 2010 10:01:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OK...I only mentioned USB as in EXTERNAL drive....use whatever method you want...but either way if you have only one bay for the OS SSD you'll probably NEED to think external as well.

Yes, USB2 is better than 1 ...and 3 is better than 2....

...and then there's eSATA as well.

December 31, 2010 6:26:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm thinking in terms of the 1TB network drives--or really 1 or 2 SATA drives and fit them in those external casings that turns them into network drives.  But capacity is not really my primary concern--I'm more worried about the web browser thrashing my SSD drive with tons of writes.   Anyone know of any laptops that can take 2 SD cards at the same time?   That would be ideal, I'd think.

January 2, 2011 11:43:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Found the laptop I wanted today

160GB solid state drive- I don't need a large HD, I'm only using 60 Gigs of my current HD.

Quad Core, 8 GB Ram, 1GB Graphics Card  (more then enough for the types of things I play)  17"

Got for just over $1200.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.