The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Most over-powered/under-used ability in the game

The Allies chat line

By on September 10, 2010 10:37:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I’m fed up of being in games where your teammates don’t bothered typing a single word in Allies chat, UNTIL they decided that because you failed to do X, and as a result they died or someone else did not and therefore you are a noob who needs to be reminded of that fact at least 8 times  minute for the rest of the game.

Early game: If you pick up fs1 and you mention it in chat fine, its just bragging really, you can see for yourself. But if you get curr1 and don’t bother to mention it someone may well amble back quite unnecessarily.

The master silent types will even read someone asking specifically if curr1 has been bought. Then watch them amble back unnecessarily.

Mid Game: The silent types will never say that they need help. They will never say that they are about to piss off and go shopping while the enemy rook looms over your middle flag towers. They will just do there own bloody thing on single player mode. If they notice that the enemy erb has poisoned blood they will say nothing. Better still if their own blood is poisoned they will say nothing. If they notice a certain player in their lane is weak they won’t tell their team mates in another lane.

Late Game: By now quite-a-bloody-lot is going on. Grunts everywhere, towers in peril everywhere. At some point things can turn very quickly. Undoubtedly the demi in the middle of the events unravelling  will know things are going pear shaped. So excuuuuusssssssseeeeee me all the way up Hitlers stanic butt hole if I didn’t notice that you where loosing control and needed help. All you needed to do is tap the enter key, followed by help, followed by the enter key again. If you do that then its on me if I don’t help you. But otherwise I might be juggling grunts and towers while duelling with another hit and run demi assassin and I’m not keeping the closest eye on some who I will assume knows how to use a keyboard.

End Game: By now your team mate has died, normally giving the enemy demi(s) time to hot foot over to a portal flag, which by the time your scanning over to see why a teammate has died the portal flag is already turning. Good luck trying to get your TP off in time then.

Then suddenly your silent teammate has discovered their voice and spend the rest of the game firing as mush opprobrium as possible. Well after they have regened  and while multi tasking with their normal play. Clearly indicating their quite capable of typing and playing.

This is how I see it tell me if you think I’m being unreasonable.

I will assume that if you don’t need help unless you ask for it. I will assume you can maintain your lane.

If you do need help enter-‘h’-enter is sufficient.  

‘Portal’  or ‘flag’ or ‘gank’ are useful especially in the early late game when after ticking by for a long time the pace suddenly accelerates. Ideally I will see anyway. But if I’m half the map away trading blows with a kiting assassin don’t just assume I will.

The best teams I am on, are ALWAYS the ones that communicate the most. They share info on who is going where. Point out weaknesses in the enemy team. They call a target in 3v3 fights, they ask for cover when escaping. They request locks be brought up if they don’t have any.

/rant off. I had to get that off my chest after playing with too many players who think the Allies chat exists solely for the purpose of giving abuse and no other reason. 

0 Karma | 6 Replies
September 10, 2010 11:26:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah... There are various players and some do talk, some not (until they see you being bad)... I myself not always talk (and sorry for that), but not always I can... Sometimes doing other things while playing (thus not paying so much attention myself), or just simply being sleepy... But if I am fully ready for a game, I try to tell teammates as much as possible (help need depends on demigod, but when needed, I try to ping to allies, because is faster + can try to survive alone).

As for Citadel upgrades... I suggest you asking that before everything "Who will buy Currency 1 / fs 1?". Usual silence leads to the question giver , so tell them at least "I'll get currency 1", etc... Because this way, you can prepare gold for that and could know that you'll buy it (however sometimes people manage to buy before you, even after that...). + Some upgrades sometimes are not good (like troops), so better to ask for other people opinion (against full da team troops are good, while against full tb isn't...).

Some sort of lesson I learned. If you play with others, ALWAYS have tp. The earlier, the better. They not always have, so are in need of help quite often. And tp'ing or faking tp (depends on circumstances), can save him and even get you a kill. Also, when you are not in encounter with any demigod (meaning that probably someone on your team has 2v1), you should keep an eye on him. Maybe he needs help (by the way, do you use mod, which shows allies hp and mp? - helps a lot in such case). However low hp also not always shows that ally needs help.  Regulus with 2 hp and in fog can be dangerous and doesn't need any help.

Team erebus or enemy erebus potion thing... yeah... People must tell allies... Even mines if in dangerous places. (I like to see, when someone sees my mines and avoids them, while their ally comes to help him and jumps on all mines also damaging the previous demigod)

As about the portal thing... You should realise yourself when it's obvious that ally can't hold (if not obvious he needs to write). For example reg vs full hp oak/beast, barely could stand a chance unless he locks it before he captures. Also, this portal should be pinged at least for the attention.

And sorry those people whom I talked bad with in game chat... There are things, which I understand as a common sense (if reg is in team, he buys currency... unless he is totally bad...). Being able to stand alone in line without dying in 1v1 (if not our flag), etc. However even not being able to do that isn't so bad (unless you scream at allies for your own mistakes) If you at least talk, it's good. If not... then what can i say... try to do your best, and watch over allies when they are in combat and you are not.

September 10, 2010 4:02:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would agree and disagree with a lot of what you said KingBingo.  Saying "I got fs1" is just as useful as "I got cur1."  It's really a testament to your skill level, but you can notice cur1 being purchased just as easily as fs1 when you watch your income rate.  However, it's nice to see the written reminder of who got it so further things can be planned.  Saying you got any upgrade is not bragging.

Using lack of text as an excuse to tunnel vision is bad.  You should have full map awareness at all times.  It's nice to get a reminder about portals, but if someone has to type "h" to get your attention, that's not good.  What if you don't even notice that until 10 seconds later, and with your tunnel visioning you teleport in when your teammate is @ 10 hp and 3 enemies are there but you just didn't bother to look and you tp in anyway?

Assuming someone doesn't need help unless they ask for it is again, complete tunnel vision.  You're simply forcing your teammate to do superfluous things in order to hopefully get your attention.  By the time you notice the "h" perhaps it's too late.. or you still aren't really paying attention and the moment has passed to kill.  That's really the biggest issue.. by the time you notice, the opportunity to do something is usually in the past, whereas if you have full map awareness, you would have noticed your teammate trying to lure, or needing a clutch fake tp.

I do agree with discussing strategy.  Always solid when ppl aren't entirely sure of the best strat.

One thing I would say above all tho.. is I hate typing in dg and will usually only do it to say the bare minimum to my teammates not on ventrilo.  I do enjoy chatting on ventrilo about the littlest of things tho.

About all the chat I see from reallllllllllly good players tho is "oom" for when their teammates don't seem to pay attention to their mana, "___ get cur1" so that person can maximize their run back, "ill get monks" if their are 2 generals, " going mana" to lay their claim to the mana side.  Most of those comments are still superfluous.. and certainly aren't always said, just inferred.  The best players know when their teammates need help and tp or fake tp at the appropriate time.  They have full map awareness.

That is what I would consider the most over-powered / under-used thing in the game... the minimap.  Watch it.. understand it.. use it.. all the time.

September 10, 2010 5:29:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

heh – getting fs1 and telling the team you picked it up in chat is not really bragging imo.  That’s a little silly.  While I can notice that fs1 has been bought, I’m never going to complain that someone indicated they picked it up in chat.  I’m not constantly watching my teams towers unless one of them is getting wailed on and I’m defending – so I might not know that its been bought.  Anyway, I think it’s a good team move to announce when you buy (though a cool feature would have been an automatic announce for your team based on what is bought)

With currency, you can also tell just as easily if its been purchased or not by watching the rate that your gold trickles in, but I’d still rather see a quick note from someone indicating that they picked it up.  Another nice team move.  The best teammates typically let you know in advance that they will be picking up currency so you can plan your build knowing that you don’t have to pick it up (not just talking about a reg always getting cur1, talking about any teammate ready to buy when its war rank 2 and giving the team the heads up).

Good commentary re: mid game.

Re: late game, its gets a little dicey.  Experienced players should be very aware of what’s going on at portals without anyone telling them what to do.  I know what you mean though, a simple bit of communication is very important to make sure you don’t lose the portals.  I might keep an eye on the portals, but I might not be enough by myself to save it, so I need to request help and I do.  If I see any conflict going on at a portal, I’m doing my best to pay attention to what’s going on there – and at the very least I have flashed some fake ports and am ready to come in if needed or there is a kill op.    

Overall, I really agree – if you aren’t super freaking good (eg porting in on your own to get ganks, always mindful of the map and portals), then you should be communicating and people listening to each other.  But if you are super freaking good, you probably already communicate pretty well.

September 10, 2010 8:14:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well, you do have to co-ordinate who ports to the portal against bitchy speed stackers. Fuck them. 

September 10, 2010 8:37:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting awuffleablehedgie,
well, you do have to co-ordinate who ports to the portal against bitchy speed stackers. Fuck them. 

heh... damn happy boots...

September 11, 2010 6:22:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting 4Nana,

Using lack of text as an excuse to tunnel vision is bad.  You should have full map awareness at all times.

Yes , but this is a game not a full time job. You cannot expect people to be flawless at it, and a couple of well timed chat lines make it a lot easier for team mates to work a lot better together. 

I specifically talking about the 'the turn' or whatever you call it. That point in the game where things go from ticking over to bat-shit really quickly, the transition between mid and late game. If your playing in a mid game (I don't play in pro games) and you die, if you could not be bothered to mention anything at all in chat, but then find plenty of time for pumping out abuse, I'm not really sympathetic.  

A few lines of text during a game at the right point can really make a huge difference. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.