I bought Demigod a few days ago. Initially I was able to play multiplayer games even though they lagged a little. My ping is slightly on the higher side as I am located in India.
But then this weird problem started happening.
Within 2-3 minutes of starting a multiplayer custom game, the game freezes. Not just for me, but for everyone who is in the game. This happens to games I host as well as games hosted by others that I join.
The freeze is not simple lag because:
1. The connectivity window comes up and shows that some other player is lagging. This player is subsequently ejected by all other players. Then another player shows lag and gets ejected and so on. All this while the game remains frozen for everyone.
2. Weirdly, the in-game chat (not impulse overlay) works fine. I can send and receive chat to 'Allies' and 'All' channels.
3. The game interface as well as background music continues to function and respond normally, including the mouse-cursor.
4. Nobody in the game is able to quit the game by normal means, "concede" and "end game" buttons do respond, but nothing happens once I or anyone else clicks them.
5. My ping does not spike during any of this. My sim speed remains comfortably at 10 throughout.
Initially I was able to play a few multiplayer games to completion, but now every game I join experiences the freeze. When I terminate demigod (ctrl+alt+del), the game un-freezes for the other players and they are able to continue normally till completion.
The singleplayer games as well as singleplayer tournament works fine. Also, a multiplayer custom game with just me and AIs works fine. Haven't been able to test out in the Pantheon as there are no games happening there.
Here are the things I tried that failed to fix the problem:
1. Setting the game to minimum graphics and sound settings.
2. Delete game prefs.
3. Reconnect my internet, reboot my PC.
4. Re-download and reinstall impulse+demigod after formatting my PC and doing a clean install of the OS. (no antivirus, no firewall)
My PC is an Acer ASPIRE 5745G laptop with the following:
Intel Core i5 processor 430M (2.26 GHz, 3MB L3 cache)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I am now inclined to blame my internet connection for this as I have tried everything I could think of fixing on my PC. I have looked through the forum and was unable to find a similar problem.
I would really appreciate if someone could help me out on this as the true fun in Demigod is in the multiplayer part.
Thanks in advance,
Edit: Problem solved, see 2nd reply.