The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

What is the best Exploration era Naval Battle simulator?

By on August 31, 2010 8:09:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I would like suggestions as to which games are the best in this genre. Currently I've been playing Empire: Total War which has, seemingly, a great naval battle simulator. However, this is the only game of its sort which I have played. At my local Half Price I found a copy of East India Company, of which I'm not sure what to think about it after watching what I could find of it on YouTube. Does anyone know of any sea battle (or Age of Exploration era (1400's through 1800's, prior to steel battleships that is)) simulators which you think are good either by experience of playing or by the reading of positive reviews?

+15 Karma | 2 Replies
September 1, 2010 3:37:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's very niche market. I seem to recall Shrapnel Games having a library of naval titles, but when I checked all I saw was Salvo!. I've never played it, though. There's a series, though I can't recall what it was called. Something like Cutlass and Cannons, or Men and Iron or... something. I couldn't find it via Google, but the title was something like those...

Oh, also, Pirates Gold (Sega Genesis) has aged fairly well, and the remake Pirates! is a solid game. They might not be quite what you are looking for, but the production value on either is better than the genre's average.

September 1, 2010 3:54:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually I found East India Company (fully patched of course) to have very long and engagaing battles.  Well, as long as there aren't islands involved, AI ships tend to run into them and sink.  I have Privateer also, you can have more sea battles in this version as you play as a pirate.  Another one, but might be hard to find is Pirates of the Caribbean (2002 I believe, it was released along with the first movie) patched with the "Build 14" or maybe higher now.  DL it for free and piratesahoy.net.  Modders have added a ton of things and changed it completely over the years.  Last time I played it there were 7 or eight character to play as and a sandbox kinda play or quest driven.  Sea battles had you ducking cannon balls and were tactical more than arcade type.  That website covers everything pirate.  Hope that helps..........

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000140   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.