The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

SOLVED - PS3 Update issue - 8002F147 Error

By on July 7, 2010 2:08:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+182

I recently attempted to update my PS3 to the latest version as required by sony for online blahblah.  The update failed and now I receive error code 8002F147.  I've gone through Sony's tongue in cheek joke they call troubleshooting (unplug the unit, wait a few minutes, then boot up again) but still get the error code.  I found a guide that indicated how to boot into safe mode (essentially holding the power button through a cycle of beeps), but I can't get to the menu.  I've tried pulling out the hard drive and trying to get to safe mode and doing the same and trying to get the update to initialize, but I still get the error code.  And now, I'm in the process of formatting the hard drive to fat32 on my pc and will throw it back in and repeat the safe mode attempts, etc. 

As Sony wisely chose a 1 year warranty (for my 2 year old system), I'm on the hook for $110 bucks + shipping to send it to them and get a refurb or new replacement unit. 

Update - please read on for how I solved the problem.

Locked Post 19 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 7, 2010 2:09:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

NT

July 7, 2010 3:38:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

the reformat made it so I could get to safe mode, but I'm unable to use any of the functions therein to resolve my problem.  I used a free program called fat32format for the fat32 conversion of the HD... apparently formatting to fat32 in win7 is a challenge now.  Anyway, I need to find a usb drive to try to load the update onto to see if I can load it there... other than that, I might have to figure out a way to image the HD itself.  Good times.

July 7, 2010 7:00:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

still stuck.  I get error code 8002f281 when i try to install firmware 3.30 or 3.40.  Just about out of ideas and info on the net is a bit sparse.

Betting NFL Lines
July 7, 2010 8:49:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well... i might have finally sorted this out.  So painful how there is so little documentation on this.  I'll do a write up soon for the random folks that get this same error and hit this page via google.  At this point, I'm on the 3.30 firmware and my PS3 is functioning again.  About to usb flash to 3.40 and see if my pain goes on.

July 7, 2010 8:58:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Pain goes on.  USB update to version 3.4 fails.  Version 3.4 was downloaded this afternoon directly from Sony.  Anyway, I think my system is now back to exactly where my problems started again.  yay.  But I think I can get it back to version 3.30 without much more of a hassle.  Hopefully sony releases a new patch or... something.  For whatever reason, I can't seem to upgrade to 3.4. 

July 7, 2010 11:29:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Here's quickly what I did to end the endless loop.  If that's what you have, this fixes it (or did on my 80 gig ps3).

• take out the hard drive
  • connect hard drive to pc (running windows 7 64bit, but any windows os should work without other software)
  • open up disk management - in win7 it asked me to make a master book record, so I did.
  • format in NTSF - that's right, NTSF - don't use quick format
  • get the rom of whatever version you were on before you upgraded - i had to search, but i found the us 3.30 rom
  • copy that rom to usb drive in folders PS3 ==> UPDATE ==> put rom named PS3UPDAT.PUP here
  • shut down pc, take out hd, take usb drive too
  • put hd back in ps3, put usb stick in ps3
  • boot ps3
  • a screen will pop up.  press select + start
  • another screen (i think) later, press select + start
  • configure your ps3 setup - done

I thought I was completely screwed here too, but at least got back to having a functional ps3 instead of a brick.  Be nice if sony bothered to research and include the actual steps required to fix this stuff.  Anyway, after doing all that, my ps3 works exactly as it did before, but I cannot update to 3.40.  Tried it again using 3.40 on usb drive and had to repeat this procedure.  So, I'm hoping for an update.  Hope this helps any of you without costing you the 6 hours it took me.

July 8, 2010 4:14:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Another user indicated they could actually get to version 3.40 by following only the following instructions.  I suggest you try just this method first and if that fails, try the method I posted in above.  Best of luck!

WoooooW ......  Finally I have fixed my PS3 and it's working fine  with 3.40

Thanks to you Pacov 

I have followed your guide without using any roms!!

• take out the hard drive
  • connect hard drive to pc (running windows 7 64bit, but any windows os should work without other software)
  • open up disk management - in win7 it asked me to make a master boot record, so I did.
  • format in NTSF - that's right, NTSF - don't use quick format
  • shut down pc, take out hd, take usb drive too
  • put hd back in ps3, put usb stick in ps3
  • boot ps3
  • a screen will pop-up saying the hard disk have to be formatted
  • hold start + Select for 5 sec.
  • After formatting the system will restart and the update will start installing 
  • configure your ps3 setup - done
July 17, 2010 5:47:39 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

im relieved to have found the instructions to fix the endless loop, but can it work on the slim version too?? because im not sure how u are meant to connect you HDD to the pc.

July 17, 2010 10:18:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Tebo101,
im relieved to have found the instructions to fix the endless loop, but can it work on the slim version too?? because im not sure how u are meant to connect you HDD to the pc.

Yes - it would work on the slim edition.  Follow the attached link to a video showing you where the hard drive is on the slim:  http://ps3.ign.com/dor/articles/1015007/gc-2009-ps3-slim-and-price-drop-announced/videos/gcom09_ps3slim_opening_081609.html.

Once you take the hard drive out, you need to connect it to a serial ata cable and power cable in a computer.  If you can't do that, then you won't be able to complete the process I described.  I'd suggest doing a google search and seeing if you can find a "How to connect your ps3 hard drive to a computer tutorial" as I'd wager there is probably a good one out there.  Once you have that sorted out, come on back here and follow the directions I posted and you should be all set. 

July 20, 2010 6:59:48 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

How I fixed the 8002F1F9 error on my 60 gb (fat) Ps3 (European version, PAL)

First of all I bought the ps3 for a very charming price, with two wireless controller and one game included( Gran Turismo 5 Proluge). The seller told me, that the ps3 is not capable of connecting to the internet, but I didn’t really care about that…

So problems were starting when I first time put in the gt5 game, and the console did scan the disk(the little clock at the upper right corner was rotating), but the game did not start. After a while the rotation of the little clock stopped, and nothing happened. I tried to re insert the disk, or to restart the system, or to turn off the main power, and unplug the power cable, or to clean the disk with alcohol, but without success… It red everything but blu ray (actually I had the chance to try out only the Gran turismo 5 proluge, because I don’t have any other blu ray, nor film, or game)

Then I thought, that maybe the firmware is not good, so I tried to update it via external memory (1 gb Kingston USB stick). I downloaded the latest firmware the 3.40 from Ps3 UK site ( the reason that I chose the UK site, because my Ps3 is European production, so I had to use European software too) and put it on my unformatted USB stick(had various files on it, like pictures, pdf, other folders, BUT NO VIRUS OR ANYTHING HARMFUL-I scanned it before putting it into the Ps3). On the USB stick I created a “PS3” folder then in it an “UPDATE” folder, and there did I put the downloaded LATEST update file. The PS3 system did recognize it, and guided me trough options, and asked me, do I really want to update to 3.40 firmware, then I chose YES. The update started, and stopped at 72%. Then the system restarted, and began to update again, and again. It only got to 72% every time… I got this error message 8002F1F9….loop.

What I tried, but did NOT succeeded:

Tried to restart it, to turn off the power switch, to unplug the power cable, to unplug the USB stick, to reinsert the hdd.…, but nothing worked. Any time, when I turned the console on, it started the update automatically.

What DID  fix 8002F1F9 error:

So I took out the Ps3’s hard drive (hdd) and linked it with the pc via SATA cable. My pc has Xp, and it did recognize the hdd.

Right click on “My computer” select “manage” , a new window will pop out, there choose “Disk management”. A new window will pop out, and ask you to “Initalize” the hdd, choose “yes” (or “next”  I don’t remember), then in the next window “mark” the field (you should have only one field to mark), next window: it will ask you, that do you want to make a DINAMYC HDD? (this is very important!) Mark this one too (also I had only one field to mark here too, because only one new hdd is inserted, it’s logical isn’t it?    . Now you will be able to format the ps3’s hdd with your Windows Xp to NTFS. Yes, NTFS! Still in disk management: format your hdd to NTFS, it will take a while, and the hdd will get warm. That is not a problem, just watch out, that on the ps3’s hdd do not cover the breathing hole. For my 60gb it took around 20mins to complete.

Now... I also took apart my Ps3(literally). I  strongly advise that in this operation use “Gilksy ylod fix” video on you tube, so you can safely disassemble the console. Lord Gilksy is the master! I honestly don’t know, that did this help, but it did not harm the console. It was very dusty (literally). As I mentioned, took it apart, cleaned it fully, with alcohol, and cotton. Be really cautious, to not damage anything in this operation, if you choose to clean it, then do it properly… also short circuited the bios, by contacting the two pins, where is the battery linked. Assemble it, put in the hard drive, and when turning it on, enter into safe mode (there are plenty of posts, how to enter safe mode, I won’t write it down). Then choose restore Ps3 system. It should loud up, ask for the time, etc… This time I did not even connect the USB stick!

What I experienced:

Can’t access to safe mode, when system loop is running. Had to format hdd to access safe mode.

While I was experiencing, tried to format the hdd into: FAT32, NTFS, EXT2. all of them were recognized by the ps3, but never could “restore Ps3 system”.

Personally I think, the problem was, that I did not format the disk into “Dynamic disk”.

(operation after initializing the hdd, mentioned above)

Whenever I formatted the hdd, the system loop stopped, and safe mode was always accessible.

Also tried to update trough safe mode, but it always stopped at 72%.

Also tried to update trough safe mode with different update, but still just 72%.

Originally my Ps3 had (and still has) 3.15 firmware.

Firm wares I tried: 3.15 and 3.40

When I succeeded in restoring the system, the original firmware came back…

For me it worked!

I know how it feels, when your console is broken down, so I decided to post this, and I take the chance to thank everyone who posted, and asked on forums. It’s like I red min 20 forums, and the fix took me two days, and about 2 year from my lifespan . Good luck for everyone!

My question is: why is, that sometimes Ps3 just won’t read in the blu ray, but sometimes there is no problem at all? Also it can play DVDs, CDs without any problem… if it can read in sometimes, then I don’t think, that the laser is the fault, so what could it be?

Anyone who has an idea, send me a mail to: adam [email protected]

Cheers

July 20, 2010 8:37:31 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks for posting your experience here as well.  Hopefully that helps out some people. 

It’s like I red min 20 forums, and the fix took me two days, and about 2 year from my lifespan . Good luck for everyone!

I know what you mean.  Its not EXCEPTIONALLY uncommon, but there was so little information out there that I had to do most of the trial and error to sort things out. 

August 4, 2010 2:19:04 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

So I'm assuming there's no way of doing this and saving the info that is already on my HDD.  

Well there goes game-saves for over 50 games *tears*

August 4, 2010 8:44:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting NavSingh,
So I'm assuming there's no way of doing this and saving the info that is already on my HDD.  

Well there goes game-saves for over 50 games *tears*

I'm not entirely sure if you could save your files or not.  The HD might be accessible after you connect it to your pc, but I'm not sure.  Wouldn't hurt to hook it up and see if you can get at any data. 

August 9, 2010 10:57:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow, super work pacov and adam.  Much appreciated.

I just bought an 80 GB PS3 off of ebay and i have been reading up on issues just in case.
Very fortuitous that this was posted/updated here..  although I'm sorry you had to go through the pain.

September 17, 2012 11:56:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey pacov, 

Awesome man!! I was about to throw my ps3 in a bin and i fopund your post ....it worked ..BRILLIANT!!

September 17, 2012 4:48:50 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Glad it could help someone out.  I was really surprised how much research was required to sort that mess. 

September 17, 2012 8:14:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Since it's solved....changed the title to reflect that more closely...

September 17, 2012 8:26:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Since it's solved....changed the title to reflect that more closely...

thank you fancy pants

September 17, 2012 8:31:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting pacov,
thank you fancy pants

I thinks he's more about the headgear.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000187   Page Render Time: