The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Steam: A monopoly in the making?

Is a steamID as required as a copy of windows for gaming in the future?

By on June 14, 2010 11:41:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

(Im posting this in the forums since I can't post it like an article in the blog section.)

I remember the old days of gaming.  That long gone era called 2008.  Back when games were provided with their own custom installers, and were self-contained products that installed themselves separatedly on the computer you instaleld them.  I like to call this era the "Installshield Era" of gaming.  Back when game media only contained asset and binaries, and a registration window, when dialog box wizards ruled the gaming land, and when there weren't any remote validation hooks attached to executables.  That is why, with increasing concern, I am watching nowadays the way our most amazing form of entertainment is rearranging itself, how market forces and anti-consumer tendencies are beggining to shape the new landscape of gaming, at the expense of the average gamer.

Big game releases nowadays are abandoning these old, anticuated components such as autorun main menus, install wizards, or dedicated servers, and have moved to the all encapsulating remote delivery methods of popular DRM schemes, such as Steam.  By itself, Steam is convenient, fast if you have good internet connection, and easy to deploy.  Many games were released in normal "retail" form, and were offered in Steam's store shortly after.  Those instances however, are nowadays mostly the case with PC only releases from eastern european studios it seems.  Steam's "next step" in gaming convenience is anything but that, and could mark the beggining of a new mandatory requirement for gaming in the future.  More and more games are now announcing their complete deployment based around Valve's new Steamworks framework, touted as the "least intrusive" DRM scheme, "convenient" to gaemers and publishers alike, which takes care of formerly manual tasks like patching.  They claim it isn't intrusive when compared to the likes of Securom or Tages.  But I would like to point out that it is more than that. It's not only indeed intrusive, it's THE most intrusive DRM scheme to come along yet. The game is not at all installed or even located completely in your computer when you realize it.  At least Securom installed itself after it let the installer copy YOUR game to YOUR hard drive. Steamworks' remote always-on cloud network remotely controls one of ITS game's installation, patching, running.  When you start the game, you send a signal to the autenticathion servers situatied remotely from your location, and the order is sent back before you are able to game.  You are asked for an authorization each time to play the games you paid a hefty premium  to be allowed some few hours of playimte. It's the arcade coin-up model.  We've gone back full circle, to the arcade machins of old times. It may as well place a coin slot in your computer.  It's like trying the games you paid for thru a remote terminal.  A service that, much like an arcade place, can close up in after hours, or at the discretion of their owners.  The access to the games you are allowed to try remotely can be switched off at any moment without any explanation from the providers, and you are effectively out.  Cloud based gaming, and software as a service don't look like a good idea afterall under these terms.

"Blah blah, who cares, I don't have to deal with DVDs anymore!"  Maybe this is really making mountains out of molehills.  Steam does have it's merits, which mostly come from giving smaller indie developers a storefront to showcase their creations without needing a traditional expensive distribution contract. Companies like Tripwire and 2d boy have been the most vocal about their praise for steam, with Tripwire saying they wouldn't be around without Steam.  This piece is not an anti-steam call to arms, it's just an informational soundbyte, just to express concern about the trend Steamworks is creating, which isn't 100% in reality as advertised in the package.  A steamworks game instantly becomes a steam exclusive game. That situation could become the beggining of a monopoly.  Maybe this is a good time for competitors to shine.

+1 Karma | 472 Replies
June 25, 2010 10:48:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So, I know Steam has a sale going on right now so they have higher than average traffic, but seriously this message:

Is one of the most annoying things in the world to see after you've plunked down cash for a game. I'll likely have to pick a weird hour to try and get my downloads in.

I think this is a weak point that Steam's competitors can use against it - at the worst it will cause steam to invest more in server resources than they currently do.

June 25, 2010 11:19:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Indeed Sareln, while Steam's high-traffic events (sales, major game updates) cause buyers grief, I have yet to experience any bandwidth shortages with Impulse.

June 29, 2010 3:07:09 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Interesting article from an anti-trust lawyer about Steam actually not beeing a monopoly:

http://www.gamesbrief.com/2010/06/steam-is-not-a-monopoly/

June 29, 2010 4:01:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I doubt Sony if offering Valve cash, if that is what you are implying, coreimpulse.

More likely Newell would prefer the Xbox, with its more internet-inclined player-base. But seeing as Microsoft is trying it's damnedest to turn Game For Windows Live (or whatever their current moniker is) into a serious competitor for Steamworks... I just can't see them letting Valve in the door. PS3 then, is the only other option if Valve wants a console presence, and I'm sure Sony doesn't mind the partnership either.

June 29, 2010 5:56:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Guest83,
Interesting article from an anti-trust lawyer about Steam actually not beeing a monopoly:

I dont' recall anyone really saying Steam IS a monopoly so much as what the title of this thread suggests, they are in the process of becoming one. For a number of monopolies, as in companies that the courts stepped in and literally broke apart, you could see the problem coming. I don't see this article suggesting that Steam is not in the process of doing just what a lot of people are concerned about, trying to push everyone into a closed system. After all, you lure them in with free and then, after you have consumers and publishers in your grips, then you start trying to control prices.

June 29, 2010 1:13:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Sola_III,
"Blah blah, who cares, I don't have to deal with DVDs anymore!" I've never really understood this argument.  Seriously - other than the .000001 percent inconvenience of having to treat your possessions with a bit more love and care than a 2 year old, what really is the big deal?  I use Impulse, but never for this reason.

I don't use Steam simply because I want to maintain control of my experience.  Period.  Frankly about as far as I'll go is Windows, since I won't be playing much of anything without Windows.  Doesn't mean you have to jump off the cliff head first.

I've always found it ironic that folks are having a cow over Facebook privacy, when majority share stuff they wouldn't have dreamed of before the 'net.  Facebook and Steam are data gathering hubs with a middleware veneer and always have been.  Face it head on, and take control of your own experience.  If that means refusing Steam if a game is Steam - exclusive, so be it.

Now excuse me, I have a black helicopter to catch .  Or maybe it's all the Alpha Protocol I've been playing lately.

Exactly.  DVDs are a cool offline storage medium, that doesnt have to launch through a authorization server miles away from your location to install and start.  And it's a cool collector's item.

June 29, 2010 1:26:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Spooky__,
SteamWorks isn't tied to the Steam shop. VALVe usually offers a standard distribution agreement when giving away the SteamWorks API. SteamWorks is free to use and most developers/publishers also sign on the distribution agreement. So far there is only one exception.

During the development of Supreme Commander 2, GPG had to decide which online multiplayer platform should be used. Their options were basically their old GPGnet client, Games for Windows Live and SteamWorks. They decided to use SteamWorks. There was no pressure from VALVe or anything like that.

Or look at Modern Warfare 2. It's distributed over Steam and uses Steam as DRM. However, it does not use SteamWorks. It uses its own multiplayer solution.

I think that's not entirely correct.  SteamWorks isn't free as in freely available to anyone to include.  Developers have to apply for a SteamWorks license and only after Valve approves it they are given the SteamWorks API to include it in their games.  Given that the SteamWorks API pretty much is part of the game's binary code AND asset file formats,  developers who want to make their games SteamWorks game have to apply for a license during the planning stage of development.  And MW2 does use SteamWorks, btw.  MW2 is a full Steamworks game. That game, like New Vegas too, is part of the Steam network.  Steamworks is not only for MP and stats.  It's also for anti-cheat and autentication too. MW2 uses it, and as everyone knows, it doesn't work at stopping cheaters. 

June 29, 2010 1:38:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting the_Monk,

easy boys....

Either way, STEAM, Impulse, D2D and others are here to stay.  Get used to it.  Embrace it.  Cloud-computing is the way of the future.  What is software piracy anyway?  In a way it is the predecessor of cloud-computing.  I mean it's all out there.....to be had.....except piracy made it all avalilable for free.......so now companies want to call it "cloud-computing" and make it NOT free.  Oh well, I'm not complaining.

Again, I will sound like a broken record......but imo......most of the griping against digital "controls" (I would have called it "digital distribution", but let's face it......it is all about CONTROL) comes from the part of humanity that would like to continue having everything at their whim.....and FREE! 

Life is all about control.  We listen to (or should) our parents, we pay attention to speed-limits (or pay dearly), we turn off our cell-phones on airplanes or in doctor's offices etc. etc.  So why do we care when a company wants some control over how we use software?  I guess we've come to think that since the computer is in our home (our domain) we should be able to do anything on/with it exactly how/when we wish.  These new "control-schemes" by the software industry are challenging that "ideal".  I for one, don't have a problem with it.

Cloud-computing, digital-signatures, personal digital-ID's etc. are all signs of technical progression and are NECESSARY in order to keep pushing ahead.

Onwards I say.........faster and farther......here we come brave new world we embrace you! 

the Monk

Digital distribution is a feasable working model for PC games, this isn't an argument against them. Cloud computing is a very different thing, which both has its advantages and its disadvantages.  For instance, it assumes everyone has a super fast and very reliable internet connection, which in reality most people don't.

I don't think it's about control.  It's about money. It's the theme park business model. It's putting a theme park in the middle of nowhere and charging people for entry.  Apparently when a system is open to everyone, *HINT* *HINT* the internet anybody?, *HINT* *HINT* big companies can't make a profit out of it.

June 29, 2010 4:48:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting coreimpulse,

I think that's not entirely correct.  SteamWorks isn't free as in freely available to anyone to include.  Developers have to apply for a SteamWorks license and only after Valve approves it they are given the SteamWorks API to include it in their games.  Given that the SteamWorks API pretty much is part of the game's binary code AND asset file formats,  developers who want to make their games SteamWorks game have to apply for a license during the planning stage of development.  And MW2 does use SteamWorks, btw.  MW2 is a full Steamworks game. That game, like New Vegas too, is part of the Steam network.  Steamworks is not only for MP and stats.  It's also for anti-cheat and autentication too. MW2 uses it, and as everyone knows, it doesn't work at stopping cheaters. 

Stopping cheaters on the PC is extremely difficult unless the gameplay allows for a central server to arbitrate and control everything. You can do it in a MMO because most things are controlled by the server, but even then anything that isn't is subject to abuse (teleport hacks in WoW, as movement is client controlled for performance reasons). Strategy games could also do it with enough server horsepower, the server could simply not send any data to the client that the client shouldn't be able to see. That eliminates things like fog of war hacks as the data simply isn't there.

But your typical FPS doesn't work that way, and the client does tend to know where other players are. So cheats like invisible walls and such work and are nearly impossible to really stop.

June 30, 2010 2:28:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting coreimpulse,
I think that's not entirely correct.  SteamWorks isn't free as in freely available to anyone to include.  Developers have to apply for a SteamWorks license and only after Valve approves it they are given the SteamWorks API to include it in their games.
You get it either "at VALVE's discretion" or with an Unreal Engine 3 license.

Quoting coreimpulse,
And MW2 does use SteamWorks, btw.  MW2 is a full Steamworks game. That game, like New Vegas too, is part of the Steam network.  Steamworks is not only for MP and stats.  It's also for anti-cheat and autentication too. MW2 uses it, and as everyone knows, it doesn't work at stopping cheaters.
MW2 uses VAC yes. The matchmaking is done by IWNET.

July 1, 2010 11:04:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

"Valve's discretion" means they get to decide whether they want to give it to you or not.  Valve now leverages what they want to include in their store now.  The UE3 license doesn't inmediately grant you a Steamworks license.  They touted Steamworks as a complete backend for online gaming, leaderboards, anti-cheating and such. IWNET connects to Steamworks to establish P2P connections between clients for online games, Xbox-live style, which is a complete fail.

July 1, 2010 3:57:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Guest83,

this article is quite intresting, because the way he argues, you could argue that windows isn't a monopoly, by saying that it is software and that even thought a large amount of people own it it is acturly a rather small piece of the software sales of the world

and like steam microsoft don't controll the prices enought to raise them without people going over to linux and risk lossing more money that way...

edit: actuarly the only monopoly i can think of fitting his requirements are sony, with Blu-ray and DVD-rom

July 5, 2010 1:44:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, at least you can get the 1C games at gamersgate at 75% off now (Kings Bounty is a steal). So there is still some life left in Gamersgate, Impulse and a few others. I have yet to buy anything connected to steam. Was gonna buy Empire: Total War boxed version until I read the fine print on the box.

July 5, 2010 11:32:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

will any blizzard games be steamworks exclusive.  I hope not.  It doesn't sound like starcraft 2 needs to use steamworks services.

July 6, 2010 12:24:16 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting elias001,
will any blizzard games be steamworks exclusive.  I hope not.  It doesn't sound like starcraft 2 needs to use steamworks services.

blizzard has their own drm distribution method.  They don't need steamworks.

July 6, 2010 6:09:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Blizzard also has their own store, not that they sell anything via DD until it's been out in stores for a month.

July 7, 2010 2:44:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

As it has been pointed out, that article only mentions that Steam isn't a monopoly right now, but it does add in their last paragraphs when a monopoly has been reached, and steam is right on its way to becoming one.  It may actually take them much less time that it took windows to become one.

July 11, 2010 6:41:09 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Interesting turn of events: Direct2Drive is now selling Modern Warfare 2:

http://www.direct2drive.com/

Remember, that's where the whole Steamworks boycott started:

http://kotaku.com/5398259/online-retailers-refusing-to-sell-modern-warfare-2

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25944

July 11, 2010 6:59:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Then they'll be selling other Steamwork enabled games, which means Valve have one less reason to remove the client requirement for Steamworks.  Might as well just send ol' Gabe Newell to their customers' houses to download and install Steam for them.

July 12, 2010 3:57:47 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Guest83,
Interesting turn of events: Direct2Drive is now selling Modern Warfare 2:

http://www.direct2drive.com/

Remember, that's where the whole Steamworks boycott started:

http://kotaku.com/5398259/online-retailers-refusing-to-sell-modern-warfare-2

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25944

No surprise - it was just matter of time before they start wawing white flag...

July 12, 2010 10:52:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

That means now D2D is an affiliate of the Steam network. They probably made a google adsense-like affiliate deal, by which D2D sends their visitors to the Steam Store, since I doubt any money they charge for MW2 stays with them MW2 being a Steamworks game, and Valve sends them a little paycheck for their efforts. 

July 12, 2010 11:22:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting coreimpulse,
That means now D2D is an affiliate of the Steam network. They probably made a google adsense-like affiliate deal, by which D2D sends their visitors to the Steam Store, since I doubt any money they charge for MW2 stays with them MW2 being a Steamworks game, and Valve sends them a little paycheck for their efforts. 

*facepalm*

You can't be serious, right?

July 12, 2010 11:40:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

"This game requires Steam." They are advertising the competition's service in their own storefront. When have you seen that in the offline world?

July 12, 2010 11:52:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I still don't understand the way this Steamworks D2D game sale works. Could someone who wants to buy MW2 and hasn't yet please buy it on D2D and put here the details?

July 13, 2010 2:06:46 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting coreimpulse,
"This game requires Steam." They are advertising the competition's service in their own storefront. When have you seen that in the offline world?

Would you prefer them to not telling their customers about the requirement of a third party program? Games for Windows Live is a competetor of Steam, yet Valve "advertises" the service on Steam's Bioshock 2 Page: "Other Requirements: Initial installation requires one-time internet connection; Ability to save game, earn achievements, receive title updates and online play requires log-in to Games for Windows LIVE"
http://store.steampowered.com/app/8850/

And of course every retail game with Steamworks has the word "Steam" written on the box. So it already exists in the offline world..

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000360   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.