The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Steam: A monopoly in the making?

Is a steamID as required as a copy of windows for gaming in the future?

By on June 14, 2010 11:41:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

(Im posting this in the forums since I can't post it like an article in the blog section.)

I remember the old days of gaming.  That long gone era called 2008.  Back when games were provided with their own custom installers, and were self-contained products that installed themselves separatedly on the computer you instaleld them.  I like to call this era the "Installshield Era" of gaming.  Back when game media only contained asset and binaries, and a registration window, when dialog box wizards ruled the gaming land, and when there weren't any remote validation hooks attached to executables.  That is why, with increasing concern, I am watching nowadays the way our most amazing form of entertainment is rearranging itself, how market forces and anti-consumer tendencies are beggining to shape the new landscape of gaming, at the expense of the average gamer.

Big game releases nowadays are abandoning these old, anticuated components such as autorun main menus, install wizards, or dedicated servers, and have moved to the all encapsulating remote delivery methods of popular DRM schemes, such as Steam.  By itself, Steam is convenient, fast if you have good internet connection, and easy to deploy.  Many games were released in normal "retail" form, and were offered in Steam's store shortly after.  Those instances however, are nowadays mostly the case with PC only releases from eastern european studios it seems.  Steam's "next step" in gaming convenience is anything but that, and could mark the beggining of a new mandatory requirement for gaming in the future.  More and more games are now announcing their complete deployment based around Valve's new Steamworks framework, touted as the "least intrusive" DRM scheme, "convenient" to gaemers and publishers alike, which takes care of formerly manual tasks like patching.  They claim it isn't intrusive when compared to the likes of Securom or Tages.  But I would like to point out that it is more than that. It's not only indeed intrusive, it's THE most intrusive DRM scheme to come along yet. The game is not at all installed or even located completely in your computer when you realize it.  At least Securom installed itself after it let the installer copy YOUR game to YOUR hard drive. Steamworks' remote always-on cloud network remotely controls one of ITS game's installation, patching, running.  When you start the game, you send a signal to the autenticathion servers situatied remotely from your location, and the order is sent back before you are able to game.  You are asked for an authorization each time to play the games you paid a hefty premium  to be allowed some few hours of playimte. It's the arcade coin-up model.  We've gone back full circle, to the arcade machins of old times. It may as well place a coin slot in your computer.  It's like trying the games you paid for thru a remote terminal.  A service that, much like an arcade place, can close up in after hours, or at the discretion of their owners.  The access to the games you are allowed to try remotely can be switched off at any moment without any explanation from the providers, and you are effectively out.  Cloud based gaming, and software as a service don't look like a good idea afterall under these terms.

"Blah blah, who cares, I don't have to deal with DVDs anymore!"  Maybe this is really making mountains out of molehills.  Steam does have it's merits, which mostly come from giving smaller indie developers a storefront to showcase their creations without needing a traditional expensive distribution contract. Companies like Tripwire and 2d boy have been the most vocal about their praise for steam, with Tripwire saying they wouldn't be around without Steam.  This piece is not an anti-steam call to arms, it's just an informational soundbyte, just to express concern about the trend Steamworks is creating, which isn't 100% in reality as advertised in the package.  A steamworks game instantly becomes a steam exclusive game. That situation could become the beggining of a monopoly.  Maybe this is a good time for competitors to shine.

+1 Karma | 472 Replies
June 16, 2010 5:57:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting coreimpulse,

larrypeterscomment 22I have to wonder if this is a test of sorts for Sony and if it works they integrate Steam further into PSN.  For Sony it beats having to build their own offering to compete with XBL.  Steam is already there and has infrastructure in place.Like Tridus, I also seriously doubt this will change anything for Steam powered games.Later,LAR 

Wouldnt having full steam support chip away at their playstation network service?

Not if PS3 users are going to Steamworks over PSN.

But even if it does, so what? Sony would like a platform that's at the same level of XBL. If Steamworks gets them closer, why not? If I'm a developer who wants to use Steamworks on the PC, being able to use it on the PS3 as well instead of PSN isn't a negative: it makes the game easier to port. It's normally easier to do PC/360 games instead of PC/PS3 ones, so if this helps them out, I'm sure developers will be on board.

In Valve's case the benefit is obvious: more market for Steamworks means more reason for developers on the PC to use Steamworks, which means more business for Steam.

June 16, 2010 8:41:50 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting joasoze,
It is interesting to see comments from the Steam people claiming that if they go bankrupt or something similar they will release all the DRMs. As if they will have any kind of focus on that in an extreme situation. They might not even be allowed into their offices.

It is also interesting to see people commenting that there is no way Valve/Steam will go belly up. May we remind ourselves of Enron or the more recent problems at BP?

Even if they could get back into their offices and complete work or start work, as it were, to release the DRM portion of steam, I don't know that they would be allowed to do that for any game Valve didn't make (or even the ones they made since ownership of IP doesn't just poof with BK, someone owns it). I mean EA probably wouldn't be happy with a bunch of SPORE games out there with no DRM attached them, and would say no, kill the games let our customers buy it again.

June 16, 2010 11:42:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Nesrie,

Quoting joasoze,
reply 9
It is interesting to see comments from the Steam people claiming that if they go bankrupt or something similar they will release all the DRMs. As if they will have any kind of focus on that in an extreme situation. They might not even be allowed into their offices.

It is also interesting to see people commenting that there is no way Valve/Steam will go belly up. May we remind ourselves of Enron or the more recent problems at BP?

Even if they could get back into their offices and complete work or start work, as it were, to release the DRM portion of steam, I don't know that they would be allowed to do that for any game Valve didn't make (or even the ones they made since ownership of IP doesn't just poof with BK, someone owns it). I mean EA probably wouldn't be happy with a bunch of SPORE games out there with no DRM attached them, and would say no, kill the games let our customers buy it again.

While I dont like PS3 (so I dont care about it) more money for Valve (or any other good developer) is IMO good

June 17, 2010 12:56:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks to Steam and Impulse (mostly Steam, sorry Stardock I like their community features more ATM [I am rooting for you guys though, really]), I have a mountain of PC game boxed that I'll never have to deal with. No more sliding boxes out hoping I don't knock the whole tetris style tower down.. 

Basically Digital distribution, done right, is a godsend to PC gaming. It's more convenient than pirating on good services like Steam and Impulse, keeps your games up to date, and you never have to worry about the box or install disk or CD keys ever again. I've probably bought Diablo and SC2 3-4 times in the last decade just because of that.

June 17, 2010 12:56:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Blaze of Glory
Welcome to the future. Businesses want to protect themselves from people stealing content and also reduce cost. So automatically being able to update software so they don't have to spend time on forums or on the phone helping people with installs and updates as much is a big plus. Additionally being able to ensure only one instance of a game is running on one license is also a big help in piracy prevention.Apple is probably one of the worst at making it practically impossible to even move your content from your old computer to a new one, much less copy it to someone elses. I suspect in the future it will be even harder. Yet somehow everyone loves Apple.Sometime ago some folks seem to have the idea it was their right to copy share content. It isn't physical, so it doesn't count as stealing. Well, it is. Music, movies, games, pictures, news articles, books, etc. are all commodities, just like cars, tvs, etc. If you think it is wrong to steal physical things, then you should think it is wrong to steal intellectual ones as well. Copying is the same as going to the store and stealing it.So, companies adapted. Faced with losing their revenue, they are now locking content down. Steam isn't evil, it is a business model designed to reduce distribution costs, reduce support costs and help prevent piracy. I can see how shortly in the future, music and movies will be tagged in a similar fashion with licenses.I wouldn't be surprised if in the future, none of your software would be on your computer. It will all be software as a service. Your computer will be nothing more than a terminal to a remote server. Businesses have been doing this and now are even having their software hosted off-site with a 3rd party.So in closing, it was inevitable that with piracy as wide spread as it has become, companies would seek to protect themselves.  They wouldn't have moved to that drastic step if people didn't steal.

I don't think it's about stopping piracy and protecting their valuable IP, since they know they can't curb piracy. It's about pretty much adopting an anti-consumer position, one example of such being killing the second hand game market for example.  We as gamers are slowly getting the short end of the stick.

June 17, 2010 3:28:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting coreimpulse,

I don't think it's about stopping piracy and protecting their valuable IP, since they know they can't curb piracy. It's about pretty much adopting an anti-consumer position, one example of such being killing the second hand game market for example.  We as gamers are slowly getting the short end of the stick.

Publishesr and developers have been trying to destroy the second hand market for years, and not just with software. Unfortunately, the only companies that have gotten away with it, so far, and actually claim its not anti-consumer and against first sale doctrine (claiming their works don't actually apply)is the software industry. All the other physical product related media have not dared try to pull the wool over the eyes of those idiots in law-making decision positions.

June 25, 2010 12:37:25 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

"Blah blah, who cares, I don't have to deal with DVDs anymore!" I've never really understood this argument.  Seriously - other than the .000001 percent inconvenience of having to treat your possessions with a bit more love and care than a 2 year old, what really is the big deal?  I use Impulse, but never for this reason.

I don't use Steam simply because I want to maintain control of my experience.  Period.  Frankly about as far as I'll go is Windows, since I won't be playing much of anything without Windows.  Doesn't mean you have to jump off the cliff head first.

I've always found it ironic that folks are having a cow over Facebook privacy, when majority share stuff they wouldn't have dreamed of before the 'net.  Facebook and Steam are data gathering hubs with a middleware veneer and always have been.  Face it head on, and take control of your own experience.  If that means refusing Steam if a game is Steam - exclusive, so be it.

Now excuse me, I have a black helicopter to catch .  Or maybe it's all the Alpha Protocol I've been playing lately.

June 25, 2010 2:03:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sola_III,
I've always found it ironic that folks are having a cow over Facebook privacy, when majority share stuff they wouldn't have dreamed of before the 'net.  Facebook and Steam are data gathering hubs with a middleware veneer and always have been.  Face it head on, and take control of your own experience.  If that means refusing Steam if a game is Steam - exclusive, so be it.

The number of people having a cow over facebook privacy is a rounding error in the total number of facebook users. Most facebook users don't care a whole lot.

"Blah blah, who cares, I don't have to deal with DVDs anymore!" I've never really understood this argument.  Seriously - other than the .000001 percent inconvenience of having to treat your possessions with a bit more love and care than a 2 year old, what really is the big deal?  I use Impulse, but never for this reason.

When I get a new computer, it's awfully convenient to hit the "install this" button in Steam/Impulse and get the thing installed with all patches already, rather then go to the basement to hunt down the DVD spindle where that game was, then find the CD key which is hopefully still with the case, then go looking online for patches.

As an added bonus, I get no extra clutter, there's no waste created by a box, and I don't even need to go to the store to get it (which since I don't own a car is pretty large consideration).

That level of convenience is great.

June 25, 2010 2:23:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tridus,

When I get a new computer, it's awfully convenient to hit the "install this" button in Steam/Impulse and get the thing installed with all patches already, rather then go to the basement to hunt down the DVD spindle where that game was, then find the CD key which is hopefully still with the case, then go looking online for patches.

It's even better than that. I have multiple hard drives, and one hard drive dedicated to Steam games. Move the hard drive over to your new computer, delete ClientRegistry.blob and then launch Steam. Everything works and is ready to play.

Third party games will still run their initial install processes (directx, etc) when you launch them, and you might have to reenter CD Keys (found by right clicking on the game, view CD KEY). First party games launch instantly.

June 25, 2010 2:35:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh nice, I didn't even know that.

June 25, 2010 3:22:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I wanted to try SupCom 2's Demo...

You require Steam to DNLD it. 

I was saddened.

June 25, 2010 3:29:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Happily, you're really not missing anything in SupCom 2

June 25, 2010 4:08:54 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

With more and more games coming out that use Steam exclusively, you have to wonder if Valve is pulling some strings here. They can easily convince publishers to require Steam by showing how popular Steam is (popular because people don't know much about the other digital services). I think Valve also may be viewing Impulse as a serious threat, and for good reason: Impulse is a lot better than Steam. It runs better, updates better, and most importantly: it doesn't chain games to itself, meaning you can run the games without running Impulse first.

So yes, I believe the Steam is trying to make itself the Microsoft of digital distribution. Hopefully more people will discover Impulse though.

June 25, 2010 4:26:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yeah, and these Steam sales are hard for people to resist. I have trouble persuading people as to the dangers of a Steam monopoly when Steam has frequent, incredible sales. How can I persuade users to purchase a game on a competing service if Steam has it on sale for 60% cheaper? Most people will follow the money.

June 25, 2010 4:41:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GeneralEtrius,
With more and more games coming out that use Steam exclusively, you have to wonder if Valve is pulling some strings here. They can easily convince publishers to require Steam by showing how popular Steam is (popular because people don't know much about the other digital services). I think Valve also may be viewing Impulse as a serious threat, and for good reason: Impulse is a lot better than Steam. It runs better, updates better, and most importantly: it doesn't chain games to itself, meaning you can run the games without running Impulse first.

So yes, I believe the Steam is trying to make itself the Microsoft of digital distribution. Hopefully more people will discover Impulse though.

There's a lengthy discussion on this in the Steamworks Civ 5 thread... but effectively, no. Steam exclusivity is tied to games using Steamworks, which requires Steam to work.

Developers and publishers like using Steamworks because it gives them a big feature set (matchmaking, achievements, friends list, chat, groups, etc), and it costs the developer $0 to license. For the features it offers, it's the best package in the industry from a developer point of view.

So no, Valve isn't pulling strings to get the exclusives. Valve simply offers the best platform for developers that want to add things like achievements without having to build it themselves. The hope is that when Impulse Reactor is released it'll provide some competition in that space.

June 25, 2010 5:09:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Tridus,

So no, Valve isn't pulling strings to get the exclusives. Valve simply offers the best platform for developers that want to add things like achievements without having to build it themselves. The hope is that when Impulse Reactor is released it'll provide some competition in that space.

There is absolutely no evidence to support this. Valve may or may not be pressuring publishers to use Steamworks. Because such communications are confidential, nothing short of an email leak will prove that Valve isn't actively trying to corner the market through unsavory means.

June 25, 2010 5:19:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Melamine,

Quoting Tridus, reply 40

There is absolutely no evidence to support this. Valve may or may not be pressuring publishers to use Steamworks. Because such communications are confidential, nothing short of an email leak will prove that Valve isn't actively trying to corner the market through unsavory means.

I'm sorry, but this is the funniest comment I've seen all day long.

"Use Steamworks... OR ELSE."

Or else what? They won't sell it in the Steam store with hundreds of other non-Steamworks games? As it stands, you have Steamworks and GFWL as complete gaming frameworks. Steamworks is better from both a consumer and publisher standpoint. The other solution would be the roll your own, which costs time and money to develop.

But I'm sure Gabe Newell must be holding a knife to the throat of 2kgames's CEO or something.

June 25, 2010 5:46:39 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

But I'm sure Gabe Newell must be holding a knife to the throat of 2kgames's CEO or something.

That's quite an exaggeration.

June 25, 2010 5:57:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Melamine,

And you have some evidence that they are, I presume? Other then that we don't like Steam on this forum, therefore they're guilty?  (And how would you prove the negative anyway?)

I've presented an explanation for why people are using Steamworks, which makes games defacto Steam exclusives. Developers using it because it's the best platform isn't "pressure", it's the market in action. Better solutions are supposed to win.

So please enlighten us. What pressure is Valve applying, considering that Steam is a fraction of retail sales and developers/publishers have no lack of other options?

June 25, 2010 6:01:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Tridus,

And you have some evidence that they are, I presume? Other then that we don't like Steam on this forum, therefore they're guilty?  (And how would you prove the negative anyway?)

I've presented an explanation for why people are using Steamworks, which makes games defacto Steam exclusives. Developers using it because it's the best platform isn't "pressure", it's the market in action. Better solutions are supposed to win.

So please enlighten us. What pressure is Valve applying, considering that Steam is a fraction of retail sales and developers/publishers have no lack of other options?

Notice that I said that there is no evidence to prove your claim or the opposing claim. It would be foolish to draw conclusions in favor of either argument.

Please don't straw man me.

June 25, 2010 6:34:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

SteamWorks isn't tied to the Steam shop. VALVe usually offers a standard distribution agreement when giving away the SteamWorks API. SteamWorks is free to use and most developers/publishers also sign on the distribution agreement. So far there is only one exception.

During the development of Supreme Commander 2, GPG had to decide which online multiplayer platform should be used. Their options were basically their old GPGnet client, Games for Windows Live and SteamWorks. They decided to use SteamWorks. There was no pressure from VALVe or anything like that.

Or look at Modern Warfare 2. It's distributed over Steam and uses Steam as DRM. However, it does not use SteamWorks. It uses its own multiplayer solution.

Quoting Melamine,
Yeah, and these Steam sales are hard for people to resist. I have trouble persuading people as to the dangers of a Steam monopoly when Steam has frequent, incredible sales. How can I persuade users to purchase a game on a competing service if Steam has it on sale for 60% cheaper? Most people will follow the money.
Peope have to be careful with Steam sales. They look juicy, but often times some of the games are or were already cheaper in other stores.

Quoting Sola_III,
For some it's a matter of principle . I for one find optical data mediums incredibly outdated and inconvenient. Why would you want to go through all that trouble of physically getting an object with data on it, when you can have it directly over the network (unless of course you don't have internet or just very slow internet). I abhor optical discs. That's why I am also reluctant to buy a Blu-Ray drive, since this is "ancient" technology. Why should I go through all the hassle of handling an optical disc, using a dedicated Blu-Ray player (Hardware or Software), getting annoyed by menus etc. when I can have the movie or tv show directly from the network without any trouble?

Sure, some like to have a box and I can understand that. But generally I follow the Star Trek principle, where virtually every data is available to you everywhere through LCARS

June 25, 2010 6:36:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

easy boys....

Either way, STEAM, Impulse, D2D and others are here to stay.  Get used to it.  Embrace it.  Cloud-computing is the way of the future.  What is software piracy anyway?  In a way it is the predecessor of cloud-computing.  I mean it's all out there.....to be had.....except piracy made it all avalilable for free.......so now companies want to call it "cloud-computing" and make it NOT free.  Oh well, I'm not complaining.

Again, I will sound like a broken record......but imo......most of the griping against digital "controls" (I would have called it "digital distribution", but let's face it......it is all about CONTROL) comes from the part of humanity that would like to continue having everything at their whim.....and FREE! 

Life is all about control.  We listen to (or should) our parents, we pay attention to speed-limits (or pay dearly), we turn off our cell-phones on airplanes or in doctor's offices etc. etc.  So why do we care when a company wants some control over how we use software?  I guess we've come to think that since the computer is in our home (our domain) we should be able to do anything on/with it exactly how/when we wish.  These new "control-schemes" by the software industry are challenging that "ideal".  I for one, don't have a problem with it.

Cloud-computing, digital-signatures, personal digital-ID's etc. are all signs of technical progression and are NECESSARY in order to keep pushing ahead.

Onwards I say.........faster and farther......here we come brave new world we embrace you! 

the Monk

June 25, 2010 6:37:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Spooky__,
SteamWorks isn't tied to the Steam shop. VALVe usually offers a standard distribution agreement when giving away the SteamWorks API. SteamWorks is free to use and most developers/publishers also sign on the distribution agreement. So far there is only one exception.

During the development of Supreme Commander 2, GPG had to decide which online multiplayer platform should be used. Their options were basically their old GPGnet client, Games for Windows Live and SteamWorks. They decided to use SteamWorks. There was no pressure from VALVe or anything like that.

Or look at Modern Warfare 2. It's distributed over Steam and uses Steam as DRM. However, it does not use SteamWorks. It uses its own multiplayer solution.

Steamworks is modular, if you will. The DRM is in fact a part of Steamworks. Developers can choose which parts of Steamworks to implement, but from what I've read (and experienced), the attractive middleware features (matchmaking, achievements, etc.) require that developers use the Steamworks DRM component, hence the lock-in concerns.

June 25, 2010 6:46:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Steam also have the flaw of downloading the installed game instead of running a setup of compacted files

which is really stupid when trying to install larger games

take "The Witcher" as an example, if you use an iso mount it would be 5 GB i guess,

steam downloads the entire installed game which is larger than 30 GB in order to install it.

June 25, 2010 6:48:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Melamine,
Steamworks is modular, if you will. The DRM is in fact a part of Steamworks. Developers can choose which parts of Steamworks to implement, but from what I've read (and experienced), the attractive middleware features (matchmaking, achievements, etc.) require that developers use the Steamworks DRM component, hence the lock-in concerns.
Of course, but VALVe isn't forcing the game developers/publishers to use SteamWorks. Unless you interpret 'using SteamWorks because it's so great' as 'forcing', since the alternatives would simply be not as good as SteamWorks . Then yes, you could say that VALVe is forcing SteamWorks and thus Steam DRM onto the developers/publishers, because it's such a great solution. Basterds!

Maybe Stardock can break this up a bit with Impulse::Reactor (which is free to use for everyone and also completely independent from Impulse itself).

Quoting Overlord5,
Steam also have the flaw of downloading the installed game instead of running a setup of compacted files

which is really stupid when trying to install larger games

take "The Witcher" as an example, if you use an iso mount it would be 5 GB i guess,

steam downloads the entire installed game which is larger than 30 GB in order to install it.
Steam downloads compressed files. Not directly the whole game in an extracted format.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000313   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.