The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Steam: A monopoly in the making?

Is a steamID as required as a copy of windows for gaming in the future?

By on June 14, 2010 11:41:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

(Im posting this in the forums since I can't post it like an article in the blog section.)

I remember the old days of gaming.  That long gone era called 2008.  Back when games were provided with their own custom installers, and were self-contained products that installed themselves separatedly on the computer you instaleld them.  I like to call this era the "Installshield Era" of gaming.  Back when game media only contained asset and binaries, and a registration window, when dialog box wizards ruled the gaming land, and when there weren't any remote validation hooks attached to executables.  That is why, with increasing concern, I am watching nowadays the way our most amazing form of entertainment is rearranging itself, how market forces and anti-consumer tendencies are beggining to shape the new landscape of gaming, at the expense of the average gamer.

Big game releases nowadays are abandoning these old, anticuated components such as autorun main menus, install wizards, or dedicated servers, and have moved to the all encapsulating remote delivery methods of popular DRM schemes, such as Steam.  By itself, Steam is convenient, fast if you have good internet connection, and easy to deploy.  Many games were released in normal "retail" form, and were offered in Steam's store shortly after.  Those instances however, are nowadays mostly the case with PC only releases from eastern european studios it seems.  Steam's "next step" in gaming convenience is anything but that, and could mark the beggining of a new mandatory requirement for gaming in the future.  More and more games are now announcing their complete deployment based around Valve's new Steamworks framework, touted as the "least intrusive" DRM scheme, "convenient" to gaemers and publishers alike, which takes care of formerly manual tasks like patching.  They claim it isn't intrusive when compared to the likes of Securom or Tages.  But I would like to point out that it is more than that. It's not only indeed intrusive, it's THE most intrusive DRM scheme to come along yet. The game is not at all installed or even located completely in your computer when you realize it.  At least Securom installed itself after it let the installer copy YOUR game to YOUR hard drive. Steamworks' remote always-on cloud network remotely controls one of ITS game's installation, patching, running.  When you start the game, you send a signal to the autenticathion servers situatied remotely from your location, and the order is sent back before you are able to game.  You are asked for an authorization each time to play the games you paid a hefty premium  to be allowed some few hours of playimte. It's the arcade coin-up model.  We've gone back full circle, to the arcade machins of old times. It may as well place a coin slot in your computer.  It's like trying the games you paid for thru a remote terminal.  A service that, much like an arcade place, can close up in after hours, or at the discretion of their owners.  The access to the games you are allowed to try remotely can be switched off at any moment without any explanation from the providers, and you are effectively out.  Cloud based gaming, and software as a service don't look like a good idea afterall under these terms.

"Blah blah, who cares, I don't have to deal with DVDs anymore!"  Maybe this is really making mountains out of molehills.  Steam does have it's merits, which mostly come from giving smaller indie developers a storefront to showcase their creations without needing a traditional expensive distribution contract. Companies like Tripwire and 2d boy have been the most vocal about their praise for steam, with Tripwire saying they wouldn't be around without Steam.  This piece is not an anti-steam call to arms, it's just an informational soundbyte, just to express concern about the trend Steamworks is creating, which isn't 100% in reality as advertised in the package.  A steamworks game instantly becomes a steam exclusive game. That situation could become the beggining of a monopoly.  Maybe this is a good time for competitors to shine.

+1 Karma | 472 Replies
June 14, 2010 11:55:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You forgot to talk about Impulse Reactor.

June 15, 2010 12:18:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hi.  We've had large scale discussions on Steam here, here, here and somewhat here.  We've also discussed cloud computing here.  I highly recommend reading through those threads, they're a great read if you're interested in the topic.

June 15, 2010 6:32:55 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Loki, the way I understand it, Impulse reactor takes all the "good" things about Steamworks, but adapts them so that games using I::R function the same as an "Installshield era" game.

June 15, 2010 1:34:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

lokideath
You forgot to talk about Impulse Reactor.

Well, I think Brad Wardell and Island Dog have pretty much covered Reactor fairly well.

June 15, 2010 1:36:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

DoomBringer90
Loki, the way I understand it, Impulse reactor takes all the "good" things about Steamworks, but adapts them so that games using I::R function the same as an "Installshield era" game.

That's another reason I'm really looking forward to Elemental.

June 15, 2010 5:41:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

So what would happen to all the games purchased online when the provider goes tits up or the business is taken over?

June 15, 2010 6:44:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Funny I just saw that portal 2 will be using steam on the consoles too.  Welcome the drm machine to the console.  The monopoly is almost complete.

June 15, 2010 6:51:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting thyro,
So what would happen to all the games purchased online when the provider goes tits up or the business is taken over?

I guess you're done playing those games.

June 16, 2010 5:24:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It is interesting to see comments from the Steam people claiming that if they go bankrupt or something similar they will release all the DRMs. As if they will have any kind of focus on that in an extreme situation. They might not even be allowed into their offices.

It is also interesting to see people commenting that there is no way Valve/Steam will go belly up. May we remind ourselves of Enron or the more recent problems at BP?

June 16, 2010 5:34:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting thyro,
Intermediate solutions will be found and at the very least, you will be able to play your already downloaded games in Steam offline mode. SteamWorks games will not work anymore of course, but that's not that different from any other game, where the multiplayer system goes down.

June 16, 2010 8:34:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting SwerydAss,
Funny I just saw that portal 2 will be using steam on the consoles too.  Welcome the drm machine to the console.  The monopoly is almost complete.

Surely you jest...  The lack of a smilie worries me though.  I shall have to look into this.

Eidt: You...you were serious.  This is truly terrifying.

June 16, 2010 8:40:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting SwerydAss,

Which is different from the locked in propriertary DRM on Xbox Live/PSN how exactly?

June 16, 2010 8:40:08 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Bill_Door,

Quoting SwerydAss, reply 7Funny I just saw that portal 2 will be using steam on the consoles too.  Welcome the drm machine to the console.  The monopoly is almost complete.

Surely you jest...  The lack of a smilie worries me though.  I shall have to look into this.

He does not jest.  Valve and Sony announced yesterday at E3 that Steam is coming to the Playstation 3.  I weep for this generation that accepts this.  I really do.

June 16, 2010 8:42:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Bill_Door,
https://forums.demigodthegame.com/384456/page/1/#2654207
Newell's reason for crowning the PS3 edition of Portal 2 was that it will be supported by Steamworks. Released in 2008, the free toolset allows developers to integrate support from its Steam content delivery service into their games. Steamworks will allow for Portal 2 auto-updates, downloadable content, and community support directly from Valve, a feature the 360 edition of the game will not have. How it will exactly work on the PlayStation Network is unclear.

June 16, 2010 8:45:21 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting joasoze,
It is interesting to see comments from the Steam people claiming that if they go bankrupt or something similar they will release all the DRMs. As if they will have any kind of focus on that in an extreme situation. They might not even be allowed into their offices.

It is also interesting to see people commenting that there is no way Valve/Steam will go belly up. May we remind ourselves of Enron or the more recent problems at BP?

Yep.  Honestly I highly doubt that Valve/Steam will still be here 10 yrs from now.  The video game market always goes in cycles and many companies go under.  If they do and nobody decides to spend the money to keep the Steam servers going guess what, you just lost all your games, thousands of dollars worth perhaps in an instant. Maybe that doesn't really matter to the FPS kiddies who toss games in the garbage every 6 months never to be seen again but heck I still play games from 15-20 yrs ago because I have the disks and can install the game.

The same thing could be said about Stardock/Impulse but there is a big difference.  Making games is just a very small part of Stardock.  They make most of their money in productivity software so the chances of them going under from a video game down cycle are pretty slim.  Diversification is key for them.  And at least with Impulse you can archive your games to CD and you have your game forever so if Stardock were to go under and the Impulse service go away, you won't lose all your games.

June 16, 2010 8:49:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You do know you can do the same thing with Steam right? You can archive and save your games to disc or whatever you want to. Just grab steambackup.exe as well and you are good to go if Steamworks should ever explode

June 16, 2010 8:54:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Razgon,
You do know you can do the same thing with Steam right? You can archive and save your games to disc or whatever you want to. Just grab steambackup.exe as well and you are good to go if Steamworks should ever explode

But you still need Steam running to play them, not so with impulse.

June 16, 2010 8:59:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thats true, but since you can do so in offline mode,it means that you wont loose all your games should steam mysteriously disappear.

June 16, 2010 10:07:46 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Which is different from the locked in propriertary DRM on Xbox Live/PSN how exactly?

You will have to be online with your xbox and ps3 at all times now.  Don't forget to pay you xbox live fee or you won't be able to play your steam games.  Not to mention the horrible face of PSN Plus.  Now you have to pay a monthly fee on PSN to get DLC, exclusive ingame items etc....

June 16, 2010 10:24:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Welcome to the future. Businesses want to protect themselves from people stealing content and also reduce cost. So automatically being able to update software so they don't have to spend time on forums or on the phone helping people with installs and updates as much is a big plus. Additionally being able to ensure only one instance of a game is running on one license is also a big help in piracy prevention.

Apple is probably one of the worst at making it practically impossible to even move your content from your old computer to a new one, much less copy it to someone elses. I suspect in the future it will be even harder. Yet somehow everyone loves Apple.

Sometime ago some folks seem to have the idea it was their right to copy share content. It isn't physical, so it doesn't count as stealing. Well, it is. Music, movies, games, pictures, news articles, books, etc. are all commodities, just like cars, tvs, etc. If you think it is wrong to steal physical things, then you should think it is wrong to steal intellectual ones as well. Copying is the same as going to the store and stealing it.

So, companies adapted. Faced with losing their revenue, they are now locking content down. Steam isn't evil, it is a business model designed to reduce distribution costs, reduce support costs and help prevent piracy. I can see how shortly in the future, music and movies will be tagged in a similar fashion with licenses.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the future, none of your software would be on your computer. It will all be software as a service. Your computer will be nothing more than a terminal to a remote server. Businesses have been doing this and now are even having their software hosted off-site with a 3rd party.

So in closing, it was inevitable that with piracy as wide spread as it has become, companies would seek to protect themselves.  They wouldn't have moved to that drastic step if people didn't steal.

June 16, 2010 10:45:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting SwerydAss,

You will have to be online with your xbox and ps3 at all times now.  Don't forget to pay you xbox live fee or you won't be able to play your steam games.  Not to mention the horrible face of PSN Plus.  Now you have to pay a monthly fee on PSN to get DLC, exclusive ingame items etc....

You only need to pay for Xbox Live if you want to play multiplayer, and I don't see that changing. You don't have to pay for PSN Plus to get DLC, just their exclusive stuff which will largely be frills and crap anyway. And you won't need to pay for that to play Portal 2 either.

Just because they offer stuff doesn't mean you have to buy it. All they're doing here is letting Steamworks function on PSN, making it easier for people like Valve to port games over.

I mean, people act like this is some kind of new DRM, when in reality consoles are already locked down DRM laden platforms. Nothing really new is going on here.

June 16, 2010 11:16:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have to wonder if this is a test of sorts for Sony and if it works they integrate Steam further into PSN.  For Sony it beats having to build their own offering to compete with XBL.  Steam is already there and has infrastructure in place.

Like Tridus, I also seriously doubt this will change anything for Steam powered games.

Later,
LAR 

June 16, 2010 1:14:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Penny Arcade had some good commentary on this today. The point here seems to be Steamworks, and the extra advantage that gives people using it. Let's face it, GFWL is a pretty huge failure. Steamworks is not, so far. Being able to use it on PC and PS3? That's pretty nice.

For Sony, they get a platform developers already like on their system without having to build much themselves.

June 16, 2010 5:04:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

larrypeters
I have to wonder if this is a test of sorts for Sony and if it works they integrate Steam further into PSN.  For Sony it beats having to build their own offering to compete with XBL.  Steam is already there and has infrastructure in place.Like Tridus, I also seriously doubt this will change anything for Steam powered games.Later,LAR 

Wouldnt having full steam support chip away at their playstation network service?

June 16, 2010 5:07:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Spooky__
Bill_Doorreply 11Surely you jest...  The lack of a smilie worries me though.  I shall have to look into this.https://forums.demigodthegame.com/384456/page/1/#2654207Newell's reason for crowning the PS3 edition of Portal 2 was that it will be supported by Steamworks. Released in 2008, the free toolset allows developers to integrate support from its Steam content delivery service into their games. Steamworks will allow for Portal 2 auto-updates, downloadable content, and community support directly from Valve, a feature the 360 edition of the game will not have. How it will exactly work on the PlayStation Network is unclear.

And Gabe Newell was one of the ps3's most vocal critics.  I suppose some millions in cash changed his opinion.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.