The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Supreme Commander 2 $10.99 On Steam, Deal or Dud?

By on June 4, 2010 1:06:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Supreme Commander 2 is $10.99 on Steams weekend deal. I've played and enjoyed Warhammer 40k DOW2, Demigod and Company of Hero's online. I'd pick up Starcraft 2 but it sounds the beta is almost closed and I would want my multiplayer fix today and next week in addition to when it comes out.

I have no intention to play the campaign.

Is Supreme Commander 2's multiplayer worth $10.99? And keep in mind I would never play SC1 online for the same reason I wont play SoaSE online, I don't enjoy a multiplayer game lasting over an hour.

-Othello

+8 Karma | 121 Replies
June 4, 2010 1:52:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Most SupCom fans do not like it or play it.  I don't see it as worth it... they totally botched the game (developers)

June 4, 2010 2:06:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you view it as simply a SP game, I think you EASILY get $10.99 out of it.  I'm not a hardcore SupCom fan but am a huge Demigod fan.  If you think of it as $.50 an hour, its easily worth the price of admission.  I know this didn't live up to alot of you supcom 1/exp folks, bit for $11?  Are you kidding me?  You hate the game that much that you can't even enjoy it for 10 - 20 hours?  BS. 

All of that abrasive shite said, I played it completely through SP, played it a few times in MP and really doubt I will play it again.  I paid $50 for the game and feel a little disappointed.  If I could have purchased the game for $11 and played only SP, I could have felt like I easily got my money's worth - hell, a move ticket at night that lasts a couple hours costs you more than that... you get > 20 hours of SP gameplay for the cost of admission.  Step away from its not a true successor to Supcom 1 and you will likely agree with me. 

And again - All of that extra abrasive shite done with - I wouldn't buy if for $11 bucks for MP.  If that's all you care about, then stay away.  If you play through SP, then this is for you. 

June 4, 2010 2:09:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually if you have a few people willing  to play with you its worth a shot.. just turn off nukes. My problem is while there arent any real flaws with it the game doesnt grab you in the slightest. Still its worth 11 dollars for all the oh snap moments. 

June 4, 2010 2:16:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

my expierence is what pacov had: fun singleplayer that you can enjoy but underwhelming MP that makes it not worth $50, but okay for $11. 

Plus, it is HEAVILY supported. I think a new patch just came out (again!). That's like their tenth one since release a few months ago. 

June 4, 2010 2:17:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RandomEasyPlayer,
Actually if you have a few people willing  to play with you its worth a shot.. just turn off nukes. My problem is while there arent any real flaws with it the game doesnt grab you in the slightest. Still its worth 11 dollars for all the oh snap moments. 

I can buy that too.  Good feedback.  It doesn't come off as a AAA RTS, but it is good.  I still maintain yes for SP at $11 and prob avoid for MP at that cost, but if you and a buddy can get 11 hours out of this game, thats like a buck an hour (vs the $50 retail price). 

June 4, 2010 2:24:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Supreme Commander 2 is $10.99 on Steams weekend deal. I've played and enjoyed Warhammer 40k DOW2, Demigod and Company of Hero's online. I'd pick up Starcraft 2 but it sounds the beta is almost closed and I would want my multiplayer fix today and next week in addition to when it comes out.

I have no intention to play the campaign.

Is Supreme Commander 2's multiplayer worth $10.99? And keep in mind I would never play SC1 online for the same reason I wont play SoaSE online, I don't a multiplayer game lasting over an hour.

-Othello

It had a demo which I thought was very helpful in making  a buy decisions, so play that through to make sure you like the mechanical feel of the interface/game as well before buying.  My friends and I generally agreed that it wasn't worth it at the full price, but maybe $11 is more right, give it a whirl and see how it feels.

June 4, 2010 2:32:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This game is a good "filler" between epic RTS titles but only if you play with someone on vent/skype/steam/somevoicechatprogam that you know. I had a pool of mates from playing SoaSE with and while i liked the game quite a few were unimpressed after a while. So while id still play the game id need them to play with to have the right amount of fun for the good 30 -45 minutes the game lasts for. 

June 4, 2010 2:47:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, my plan is to get SupCom Forged Alliance (spelling?) when I get a new laptop. Skipping the second one. Sorry, off topic.

June 4, 2010 2:59:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

also - another side note... Supcom2's regular price tag is now $21.99?  So, its still 50% off, but... it only came out < 6 months ago.  I didn't realize it had been discounted so much.  It's $22 on amazon right now as well.

Here are some reviews from amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Supreme-Commander-2-Pc/product-reviews/B002BXN6GY/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

June 4, 2010 4:50:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i wasn't a fan but plenty of the good FA players rate it highly.

June 4, 2010 5:15:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you haven't bought it already, you should definitely do that now .

@pacov: the customer reviews are horrible. SupCom2 haters simply voted just because they expected the game to be something else. You are better off with browsing through the regular reviews.

June 4, 2010 6:39:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

To be honest, there's nothing wrong with the game. I think that it only suffers from the label "Supreme Commander."

On its own, it's a playable, and overall ok game, but it certainly doesn't do the large scale or strategy that the original and Forged Alliance did. My brother bought it and likes it over SupCom 1, but he didn't like having to constantly manage loads of things at once before you could start a proper attack, and I prefer the original, because it's, well, just more complicated, grander. As mentioned before, it felt like you were commanding an army, not a few squads. I also prefer the graphical look of the original.

So yeah, if you liked the original for its huge-ness, then this may leave you feeling a bit disapointed, but it still manages to capture some of the feel of the original's units (the Soul Ripper's still there ) and stands up to most of the mainstream (think of the latest C&C games (actually it's better than C&C 4. More like C&C 3 or Red Alert 3.)) RTS games out there. It's just not that different from the crowd, that's all...

PS: The one thing that genuinely pisses me off about SupCom 2 is the Aeon faction. Half of their unit names are puns! I mean, the Fighter/Bomber is called the "Weedooboth." We. Do. Both. What was Chris Taylor thinking...

June 4, 2010 6:48:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Chris Taylor wanted names that are a little bit more reminiscent of the unit names in Total Annihilation. But the "style" is not really the same.

June 4, 2010 7:15:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm one of the SupCom and FA players who has never seen TA in my life (I know, it's probably blasphemy of some kind...) so I couldn't be the judge of that, but I really think that what has killed the SupCom series now, is releasing for consoles. Let's face it, the consoles are inferior in terms of processing, graphics etc. to modern PCs (despite what Sony and Microsoft insist). Games made for that won't be as impressive as ones made for PC. SupCom 2 just seems dumbed down, on a level with average RTSes which can run on an Xbox or PS3...

June 4, 2010 12:51:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The TA names were cool, like the "Roach" suicide bomb, "Pyro" flamethrower K-Bot, "Zeus" lightning K-Bot, "Diplomat" rocket artillery (my favorite name), the "Pee-wee" swarm K-Bot, and the "Big Bertha" artillery system capable of blowing up someone's base from over half the map away.

June 4, 2010 12:59:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That reminds me of the SupCom Cybran Strategic Missile Sub called "Plan B"

But come on... "Weedooboth." And the subhunter's called "Wilfindja."

June 4, 2010 1:20:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Alpha_003_Snipe,
To be honest, there's nothing wrong with the game. I think that it only suffers from the label "Supreme Commander."

/agree

If they called it 'Generic Strategy Game 2' I would of had no issues with it and probably would of purchased. 

It's not SupCom and I'm royally pissed that I waited so long for an expansion that made my face hurt from face-palming so hard.

June 4, 2010 1:33:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

And you already face-palm enough for one person.

It WAS a disappointment as far as the SupCom series goes, but I agree with the above statements, it suffers from fan expectations.

Hey, I LIKED memorizing all 300 and something of the units from FA. They also got rid of the OMYGOODNESSITSANEXPERIMENTAL factor, something I think we all should miss. I liked seeing a Megalith smashing through units.

June 4, 2010 1:43:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_Teseer,
If they called it 'Generic Strategy Game 2' I would of had no issues with it and probably would of purchased.
You would have purchased it simply if it had a different name? That's pretty idiotic.

The important thing is if you like the game or not. Not if you like the name in combination with the game... jesus.

June 4, 2010 1:54:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

for 10$, why not i guess

compared to supreme commander, the game is a big fail. its been dumbed down to a kids level (wich isnt all that bad, but kills the reason what made supcom 1 so good)

if interested i reccomend on dling the demo,  to see what its like.

Quoting Spooky__,

Quoting OMG_Teseer,
reply 17
If they called it 'Generic Strategy Game 2' I would of had no issues with it and probably would of purchased. You would have purchased it simply if it had a different name? That's pretty idiotic.

The important thing is if you like the game or not. Not if you like the name in combination with the game... jesus.

actually,  if they named it something else it might have sold better,  it just feels like a cheap ripoff to Supreme Commander now

imho,  buy supcom + forged alliance, system req's are kinda high,  but it beats supcom 2  in olmost every possible way

June 4, 2010 2:07:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Shadow_of_Light,
actually,  if they named it something else it might have sold better,  it just feels like a cheap ripoff to Supreme Commander now
No, that wouldn't have mattered at all. SupCom haters would still know that it's a successor, no matter how it is called and thus be outraged about how it's not like they want it to be. The same might happen for Kings & Castles, people are already hoping that K&C will have the same grand scale as SupCom/FA.

June 4, 2010 2:17:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lol, Spooky is an asscock.

I'm not going to buy a game that promises to be a successor to the game I love above all other games and falls ridiculously short.

June 4, 2010 2:35:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting OMG_Teseer,

Quoting Alpha_003_Snipe,
reply 12

/agree

It's not SupCom and I'm royally pissed that I waited so long for an expansion that made my face hurt from face-palming so hard.

This. I (foolishly) bought it at full price, and completely regret it. For $11 it might have been worth it.

I want my Monkeylords back, dammit! And why the **** did they not put in a save game feature for skirmish? Seriously, WTF?

June 4, 2010 2:45:58 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

$11? I'd say deal if you have no qualms with Steam. I had fun playing through the campaign a couple of times, but I don't MP so no opinion there.

I guess we shouldn't have been surprised. Chris Taylor has been making sequels that seem aimed to anger the original's hardcore customers since Total Annihilation. Maybe he likes the abuse he takes over it, like a fetish

June 4, 2010 2:47:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, that's one explanation. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001390   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.