The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Challenge: Replicate this Oak bug

By on May 27, 2010 7:24:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them. While testing an Oak build in single player, I was once able to get about 8-9 spirits with just 1 point in Ward. It was extremely strange. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I wish to god I'd saved the replay. Basically, I ranked up divine justice, pent, and shield until level 10, then I threw 1 point in Ward and it happened. Can anyone else confirm having this happen to them? I know someone else on here has had it happen before. If anyone is super bored they might try to replicate it. If it's possible to do this, it could have a dramatically large impact on builds.

+38 Karma | 22 Replies
May 27, 2010 10:18:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Any more details?

Are you sure the limit was 8 or 9? It should have been 7 or 10.

Did you have any mods on?

Were you able to lose spirits and then regain them up to your limit?

Were there any other Oaks in game?

Did you gain the spirits all at once, or did you build them up over time?

May 27, 2010 11:09:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've actually had that happen quite a bit, pretty regularly, in fact. I had a build a while back where I was getting a few levels of ward early on to be strong early game w/o too much mana cost and then the rest after level 10. When I got the first level, at char. level 1, I'd just have three spirits. But if I hit 8 or 9 with only the first level still, I'd notice my army had grown to 7 or more. I think at one point I did count ten.

Of course, I don't have any screen shots, but it happened so often that I bet I could do it without much effort. And to answer Ptarth, I was playing (back then) w/o mods, I was able to lose and regain them, there were other oaks occasionally but the spirits were clearly mine, and they seemed to build up over time.

May 27, 2010 11:16:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I remember hearing about that bug some time ago.  I dont think it would be easy to replicate.

j

May 27, 2010 11:21:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've played a lot of low-level hybrid Oak (prioritize Ward, low level Pent) and I've never seen this bug before. 

May 27, 2010 11:36:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Never had this happen.  My standard build includes pen / shield / dj to 10 and spirits @ 11.  I just tested an ai game starting with 1 pt in ward and never had more than 3.  Around lvl 17 I got Ward II and never had more than 5 spirits.  In between, I got more minions to see if that would make a difference (gunners / minotaurs), it did not.  It also did not matter if I left my spirits @ citadel while I was out farming other creeps.  It also did not matter when the enemy got priests and spirits came from 2 waves of creeps w/ priests.  Never more than the amount stated by Ward.  (don't worry I had fast xp and fast game speed.. whole test didn't take very long, but I killed a LOT of creeps..) 

May 27, 2010 11:56:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Maybe it happens if you die... your old wards stay out and collect spirits, you res, get spirits, make new wards. 

May 28, 2010 12:14:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hmmm... that has potential I suppose.  I might test that tonight with another person to make it easier to test.

May 28, 2010 7:30:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have had it happen in a couple of games lately and it was not with low level oak, but rather when I got first level spirit ward after I was level 10...don't know if that's relevant or not. I assumed it probably had to do with some other ability or item that is usually not present until later in the game. The most interesting part of it is that I have the minion mod on, so you would expect only three circles around the spirit ward when you get the first level. In both of these cases it started out with four circles.

May 28, 2010 8:07:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_BlackHatHedgehog,
Maybe it happens if you die... your old wards stay out and collect spirits, you res, get spirits, make new wards. 

death is unrelated, spirits don't spawn during death.  Tested anyway, and it did nothing, but more spirits started spawning the moment I rez'd.  

May 28, 2010 9:53:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pfizzy, do you mean the Uberfix mod?

May 28, 2010 10:01:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

he means the minion ui mod.. which I never got around to installing but I'm doing it right now because it looks awesome and helpful

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/370227

June 2, 2010 12:08:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

While testing an Oak build in single player, [...]
  If it's possible to do this, it could have a dramatically large impact on builds.

I agree.

You gonna own comps with much more ease.

June 2, 2010 10:13:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

damn rawr you must be bored testing that

June 3, 2010 9:04:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sorry for the long delay, no, I mean the uber minion mod. That allows you to see the health status of your minions.

June 21, 2010 11:36:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Finally got back to playing Demigod, and first game back got this Oak bug to trigger. It happened when at level 11 I took my first rank of Ward, planted it in a creep wave, and immediately (after a Surge) had 10 Spirits. Let me say, RAAWWRR's build is a lot more effective when you get ALL your spirits at level 11.

Up until 5Nana dropped, it was a good game too, although we were gonna lose from the start, since I couldn't slow down OMG-Zex's Rook.

http://www.gamereplays.org/demigod/replays.php?game=51&show=details&id=130110

June 22, 2010 1:19:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Interesting, that's the exact build that I use, but I've never been able to get it to work quite right except 1. I might take some time to figure it out...

June 22, 2010 2:53:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It happens about 19 minutes in. The other Oak had Spirit Ward IV at that time which gives 10 spirits. It is very likely that there is a relationship there.

If someone could run a test game with a friend under the following circumstances, that would be great.

Circumstances:

• Starting level 15.
  • Oak 2 levels up spirit ward IV and kills creeps to get 10 spirits.
  • Oak 1 then picks up spirit ward I and kills creeps to max spirits.
  • Count spirits, if there are 10, save the replay and host it.

Second Experiment

• Starting level 15.
  • Oak 2 levels up spirit ward III and kills creeps to get spirits.
  • Oak 1 then picks up spirit ward I and kills creeps to max spirits.
  • Oak 2 levels up spirit ward IV and kills creeps to get 10 spirits.
  • Oak 1 kills more, count spirits, if there are 10, save the replay and host it.

I'd fairly busy with other things otherwise I'd try to do it myself. If someone could do it for the rest of us, that'd be great.

Also, thanks for the replay BigDaddy.

June 22, 2010 12:08:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Replicated a couple of days ago.  I dont know if you were in the game with me or not Epi.

The game was fairly late level i think i was level 12.  I had 1 point in spirit ward and 1 point in Soul Power (1 in DJ, pen max, SoF max, shield 3) sold my L4 siege to get giants. 

Once i sold my L4 siege my bishop icons disappeared but my siege icon was still available.  Could not summon bishops nor l4 siege though.  Sold my bishops scroll, repurchased (even though i already knew it wouldn't work but i had to try) This very well probably cost us the game. It was a great game as well but i lost a lot of staying power by not being able to summon bishops and a lot of DPS by not having L4 siege. 

Anyways once this happened I had full spirits on the field even though i had just 1 point in ward.  I couldve switched my gear to minion gear but without morale and not having a minion favor item wouldve probably just made it worse. 

June 22, 2010 4:26:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Jon, if you lose the icon, you can still summon them by bringing up the character item screen and clicking them there. That ALWAYS, ALWAYS works. It's quite a bit of a hassle and I've certainly died because of it blocking my view and me missing a port in or something, but at least you have your monks again.

June 22, 2010 7:20:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Jongalt26 - was there another Oak in game?

June 23, 2010 4:10:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I had this happen when the other Oak went all minions.  I had 1 point in ward, and when we met in a creep wave and surged, we both wound up with a dozen spirits.

July 8, 2010 9:23:53 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hedgie, i figured that out.  I also found a fix for it...  I can't remember the damn fix though lol.  I think you have to repurchase both, & summon at the shop from the character screen.

Ptarth, i think there was an oak on the other team. 

j

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000407   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.