The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Basic question: How do you see what the heck is going on?

By on May 23, 2010 11:36:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm not talking about in general, when it's still not always so easy to see what enemy demigods are doing. I'm talking about when you have a billion creeps surrounding you and, say, an enemy Oak who tends to blend in with the creeps.

It's impossible to tell when they are casting or what they are doing, and sometimes it's difficult to see even that they are there at all. Anyone else experience this problem? And what do you do about it?

+2 Karma | 11 Replies
May 23, 2010 12:34:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Heh, I know what you're talking about.  Just yesterday I played a tight, high-level game (3v3) as Sedna, and I was really struggling with watching my teammates' health, watching my opponents' health, etc. esp. when we all got into 3v3 scrums.  I know I f'ed up a couple times with my heals because I couldn't track peoples' stats fast enough.

A couple things:

1.  Use your scroll-wheel to zoom in when things get crazy, like a 3v3 scrum.  In general, it's best to play maps zoomed out as far as you can, so that you can get a perspective on what's going on everywhere (do I need to port over to help out/protect a tower, cap a flag, etc.) but in tight battles, zooming in can be really helpful.  I esp. find myself zoomed in a lot on Prison, where things are pretty much always a 3v3 scrum.

2.  The more you play, the easier it will get.  You'll learn the sound-cues associated with all the skills, you'll be able to pick out an Oozing beast from a mile away, etc.

When playing against Rook, be wary of enemy Dg's that port in right undernearth him (to a tower).  I find those the hardest to see, but you gotta look for that swirl.

May 23, 2010 1:32:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Mods, mods, and more mods. Get the team panel mod, it will let you see all of your teammates' health and mana in real time. Another mod to get is the always visible health and mana text. This lets you do all the calculations without wasting time to scroll over your health bar. Get the other mod that lets you see your teammates' items and cash; it's useful for coordinating citadel upgrades and yelling at them for getting orb of defiance and narmoth's 

If you're getting targetted, you can back up quickly, then turn around to keep fighting. It's called dancing, and it can help spread out the damage your team takes across 3 demigods so you can focus fire one of the enemies without suffering a loss. It also helps clear up what is going on because you won't be so bunched up. Be especially wary if the enemy team has a regulus; you don't want your whole team getting mined.

Hold down spacebar while fighting most the time. It lets you easily swivel around to see what you want. The camera controls in Demigod are PERFECT.

May 23, 2010 3:30:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It can be easy to get lost in the fray sometimes.. but.. generally:

Play zoomed out, but not to the point you can't see animations (like a teleport).  Easy to test this point.. just grab a tp and zoom out as far as you can go.. start casting the tp and if you can still see it, great.. if not, zoom in a little more.  Probably don't want to finish the tp until you get it sorted out tho.  Anyway.. this let's you still see enemy abilities as well as see most of the map.  A great mix of both worlds.

Oak and Rook are the only ones I can get lost in.. but.. through maneuvering of the camera.. I can usually spot my target, and I know all the animations / how much damage they do to see enemy abilities

May 23, 2010 5:49:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

can you use those mods even if other players dont have them?

May 23, 2010 6:01:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yup! Certain non-game-changing mods will allow you to join games. Things that would change gameplay like the Favor Mod would bar you from entering a game, whereas the godlike team panel will let you join games even if the other players do not have it installed or enabled.

May 23, 2010 7:52:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks Rawrrr! and Nucleus. I'll be more careful about how zoomed I am from now on

Also thanks Splitshadow: I didn't get any UI changing mods thinking that others in my game would need to have them as well, but now I will definitely try one

May 24, 2010 1:56:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ya the UI mods are AMAZING.  Srsly.. I don't remember how I played w/out them lol.  So handy to see your teammates mana, what items they have if you want to give suggestions, favor, gold to plan citadel upgrades, your own hp / mana numbers stickied so you can get technical in your calculations on living or dying in battle.. mmmm

UI Mods to get:

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/369937

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/369526

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/369556

Follow install directions if necessary.. I thiiiink they are all .exe and autoinstall when you run after downloading.. but if not, directions are in the threads

May 24, 2010 6:06:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I only have the problem whenever Rook is around... which is... always, since I always play Rook . He frequently obscures the view on Demigods that just teleported in for example.

May 24, 2010 10:48:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Predict whats going to happen before it actually does, no seriously plan your move ahead of time and put every possible situation into play really.

May 24, 2010 12:08:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

just played a quick game vs AI to try these mods out

the seems pretty awesome, though is embarrassing how few items i can remember by the picture alone

May 24, 2010 12:40:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There's already some good advice in this thread.  I completely agree with getting a UI mod that let's you see what your allies have.  Also, get a good zoom level that you are comfortable with and don't be afraid to rotate the camera.  

Most of the time, these kinds of traffic jams happen around valuable flags and portals in the mid to late game.  When you lose sight of your demigod, it's time to move out of the fray.  Probably more players get ganked and killed in these situations than any other.  Since traffic jams are usually around flags, make sure that your team controls the flag or that it's neutral (yellow)--otherwise, you are asking to get ganked by a teleporting UB or some other ganker.  Sometimes you have to fight in a mob, such as when you are trying to save your portal from being captured.  Still, when you lose sight of your demigod, you can almost assume that he/she will be dead shortly. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000171   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.