So far the community hasn't been able to do much with creating new units. There are extreme limitations to our ability to create new content because of the necessity to use Granny for models and animations, the lack of non-ingame tools (Effects creator, Mesh Display, etc), and the lack of documentation (most of the SC information kinda works). To my knowledge, the following projects have been successful in creating new content.
- mrappard created Blackulus, a modded version of Regulus.
- Exxcentric has produced a number of modified units in his Favor Mod.
- Blackthorn modded Demigod model sizes in his Equilibrium Mod.
I'm trying something slightly different than either of these. I'm trying to create a modified version of the Shambler to replace the essentially useless Tribute Skill. I've made reasonable progress so far. I've modified the mesh, resized the model, added him to the QoT's abilities, and modified his weapon. At this point however, I've gone beyond my knowledge based on the engine and am entering more unit making territory.
To my knowledge what still needs to be done is:
- Add effect animations when attacking
- Add effect animations when taking damage?
- Confirm animations are acceptable.
- Confirm audio effects are acceptable.
- Fine tune movement and pathfinding.
- Change target point for attackers. (Currently Towers of light shoot beneath him to hit him. I'm not sure what this is a side effect of.)
- Eventually balance him.
This brings me to the point of this post.
- I'm providing a reference point for anyone else interested in doing something like this. Unlike the other mods this one only includes only the necessary components for adding a new unit. It reduces the amount of information to be grokked.
- I'd like a hand if anyone has the time working out the above list of issues.
Here is a link to the mod. It is a manual install version.
To summon the Ancient Shambler, activate any of the Summon Shambler abilities.
Here is a screenshot showing the size and mesh.