The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Mousetrap Cars

By on May 8, 2010 8:01:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Have you ever built one?

They're pretty cool.

I have to make one for school, and I have a question for anyone who has built one.

How do you make the arm of the trap pull slowly on the string?

Mine just releases all the force at once and invariable snaps the string. 

Should I use a longer lever arm, should I change to fishing wire, or is there a major flaw in my design?

+29 Karma | 8 Replies
May 8, 2010 9:44:52 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I would just suggest stronger string. And look at the wheels and axle assembly: if it's stuck, that could explain the breakage. Just don't do what I did: I made these GIANT wheels out of an old "for sale" sign to maximize feet-traveled-per-revolution, but they were so massive, weak, and flexible that the hot glue I used on the axles did effectively noting to prevent them from wobbling and eventually just collapsing.

May 8, 2010 10:31:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm trying CDs, and I'm thinking about switching from regular thread to fishing wire.

When I watch videos, the lever seems to go a lot slower than mine. My mouse trap snaps shut instantly, I must be missing something...

May 9, 2010 10:01:24 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Probably something to do with the wheel size... larger wheels and heavier car = slower lever, IIRC. Posting a picture of this thing would go a long ways, BTW. Without it all I can do is guess at the most common cause of a problem and advise from there.

May 9, 2010 10:50:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I drive a Miata that everyone calls a mousetrap. 

Hey, I like the fact that I can stand at the gas pump next to my car and with the top down, lean down and reach the Gas Door Release.

May 9, 2010 11:55:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Mine looks somewhat like this. I don't have a camera though, so I can't show you exactly what it looks like. When I release the trigger, it will just snap like a normal mousetrap and either break the fishing line or  cause the back end to hop into their air and spin the wheels pointlessly.

May 9, 2010 12:20:42 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Yeah, looks like you've got some problems with the wheel size and string tension... the flipping problem is probably a result of too little weight on the back end and too much on the front... I would more the trap itself back a ways and wind the string around the wheels more.

May 9, 2010 12:31:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You should stack health Split, that'd fix it.

May 9, 2010 8:44:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

LOL noob, true pros stack speeeed!

I got my car to go eight feet, but then my idiot partner decided we could do better and changed the wheels and now it doesn't work at all. Thanks for helping though guys.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000141   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.