The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Master of Magic now available from GOG!

By on April 27, 2010 4:10:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental ForumsExternal Link

I do believe I may have to purchase this one.  Given all I've been hearing about it over the years (even before Elemental was announced), this seems too good to pass up. 

+9 Karma | 11 Replies
April 27, 2010 5:32:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Silly Gog wouldn't accept my trusty MasterCard! Visa Spell solved the situation though.

It works like a charm in Windows 7 (32 bit). At least what I have been able to play. Music and all without any tweak.

The OST, being in mp3, doesn't play in my Windows Media though.

And a unit of random raiders defeated me in the first game. Shame on me!

April 27, 2010 6:43:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yea I saw that. I was wondering did they patch to run better on Vista/Win7? Or is it the typical 1.31 Patch version?

I ask cause I was thinking of digging MoM out of my closest and simply downloading the patch. But I know people have had trouble getting old DOS games to work and needed to use DOS Box. If they have patched it to run better on newer OS it could be worth getting.

For those who never played it though and don't have a copy I recommend buying it. It's a great game.

April 27, 2010 7:20:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I had no problems running MoM v1.31 on x64 Vista.

April 27, 2010 8:26:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's awesome goodness.. got it today. Thanks for the post. Works fine on my windows 7.

April 27, 2010 8:31:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

oh man thanks for the heads up !

April 27, 2010 9:08:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I still have the original disks and manual - I have an install on my c: drive and use dosbox to play it. it's been perfectly stable and a lot of fun.  Let us all know if it has been patched or modded to run on newer systems though as that would be worthwhile

edit to add note - I run a vista 32bit system

April 28, 2010 8:25:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You know, all over these forums it's Master of Magic this and Master of Magic that. I thought, psshh, looks stupid to me. But last night I said, "what the hell, Ill pick it up anyway." I had no morning after regrets. Great game, I see what all the talk was about.

Vista 64 here.  Runs great!

-Othello

April 29, 2010 1:10:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I got the MoO series from there, it was released a few days before MoM. It's not that great. Worth 5 bucks sure, but... meh. Is MoM significantly better? There are just as many old-time strategy gamers who cream their drawers over orion as there are for magic, so it's certainly not ahead in terms of hype.

April 29, 2010 11:47:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think nostalgia plays a large part as well.  Having played MoM when it was released I really enjoy going back for a bit now. 

The same thing happened when I read a post here re: Warlords being available.  I grabbed it and played the heck out of it for a few days.  It was like meeting up with an old friend again.  There are definitely some limitations to look past but all in all both games are solid for what they are.

May 14, 2010 2:52:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for letting us know about gog.com!  I am now enjoying MoM in all its glory!

May 28, 2010 5:11:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think MoM goes beyond fond memories.

Im Sure people who perfer strategy and want to try something new, would love playing MoM like 17 years after release. Its an amazing game. I play like 2 hours a day. Too much

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.