The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Universal Hotkeys

By on April 9, 2010 10:01:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

BadDaddy8

Join Date 06/2009
+5

I've been playing Oak since the beginning, with occasional experiments with Rook. Now, trying to learn TB (basically by unabashedly ripping off Teseer) for pacov's upcoming tournament, I find one thing frustrating trying to make a transition from one DG to another; I really wish the hotkeys were all assigned by broad "categories" of what they do.

I don't have the game in front of me, so forgive any errors I make. But, for example, 4 lays down Oak's banners. When I switch to Rook, it is 3 (? or 2) for towers. And Reg's mines are, what, 1?

I think it would have made the game just that much easier to transition between DGs if the hotkeys all did roughly the same thing for each DG. Of course, the abilities are varied enough that it won't be 100% match up, but I think it would make playing a new DG an easier tranisition. It would look something like this:

Hotkey 1: Basic defensive/ healing spells- Shield, Heal, Structural Transfer, Bat Swarm, Mulch, TB's Novas (?), Brain Surge (w/e it's called), etc.

Hotkey 2: Primary Nuke- Penitence, Bite, Hammer Slam, Fireball, RoI, Spike Wave, Spine Attack, Spit, Pounce, etc.

Hotkey 3: AoE/ Stuns- SoF, TB's Nova's or DF, Mass Charm, Blast Off, Warp Area, Spike Wave, Boulder Roll, etc.

Hotkey 4: "Laydown" or Form Changes- Banner, Mines, Towers, Fire/ Ice, Open/ Closed, Mist, Ooze, etc.

Again, it won't be perfect, some DGs have abilities that could go on multiple keys, or have abilities that don't fit these categories; Bestial Wrath, etc.

However, I do think it would make trying a new DG a little easier. Maybe something SD/ GPG could think about for DG2 (they know they want too) or someone with way more programming skill than me could include in a mod?

(And yes, I know you can reprogram your hotkeys, but then you have to reprogram them everytime you want to switch DGs, so that doesn't really solve the problem.)

Locked Post 5 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 21, 2010 12:59:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You can change the Hotkeys and UIpositions of your skills for each hero, too.

I tried it with Rook, but the only problem is, that the mod only works if you set it on "UI only = false", which means, you can't use it online.

Maybe someone knows how to fix it: Here is the link.

If you even like it, you can try to change the skills yourself, or you can tell me which Skills you want to be changed and I will change them for you.

Hope I could help at least a bit.

~DonDoen

April 21, 2010 1:20:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I dont see any problem with it, the pictures are huge and accurately describe what they do.  Might take me a couple seconds to remember each demigod buttons (like I can't remember if fireball is 1 or 2), but once I get in game I'm g2g.  You just have to play them all enough to remember every build / button.

On that note, having a grasp of every demigod makes you a better player  If you know that qot can't ground spike and shield in the same form and that it takes a couple seconds to switch forms, then you can take advantage of this.  Knowing the cooldown on all player abilities and how much damage they do at every level is also very, very helpful.  You can accurately predict how much damage you will take and can escape with very little hp sometimes while they estimated incorrectly and died thinking they had you.  Kind of off topic, but meh.  

April 21, 2010 5:55:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

On that note, having a grasp of every demigod makes you a better player If you know that qot can't ground spike and shield in the same form and that it takes a couple seconds to switch forms, then you can take advantage of this. Knowing the cooldown on all player abilities and how much damage they do at every level is also very, very helpful. You can accurately predict how much damage you will take and can escape with very little hp sometimes while they estimated incorrectly and died thinking they had you. Kind of off topic, but meh.

To add to that, and just as off-topic sorry, if you know your DGs you can tell alot about their equipped items and mana pool based on hp numbers.  For example, if I see an Occulus with 2400 hp and a monk at level 1 I know he went BotF, and at most has a single mana pot.  That means he can't use his nukes more than two or three times without ooming. 

Paying attention to this stuff and what has changed or not when a DG comes back from the crystal gives you a fairly clear picture of how hard you can push and when you need to back up well before you start fighting, in most cases.  

And the flip side of that is that you can use your active items to juke analysis.  No one expects multiple combat pots at level 1, and sigil pulls work more often than they should.  

April 23, 2010 6:27:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, Rawrrr. you're right. During Epoch 2, I had probably 250 games, but this time around I've only had time for roughly two games a night fri and sat. Not really enough time to more than one or two dgs fairly well. That said, having switched to TB recently, games where I play Oak or Rook, it is not a hard transition back.

I don't think it is terribly broken, I just think there is an obvious way to make it even a little better.

And Ke5trel- so true. I now have a much better idea of what to expect when facing TB than I ever did and as I learn more DGs it only seems to make analyzing one's opponents that much easier.

April 23, 2010 6:36:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Man, I totally need to do this when I start other Demigods.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time: