The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Just Cause 2

By on March 30, 2010 9:45:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This game looks DAMN good.

It's hard to believe games are starting to look this good.

Pretty dang fun too, though obviously not terribly deep.

+11 Karma | 38 Replies
March 30, 2010 9:56:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow, those are some terrific graphics. If the gameplay is as good, it would be quite the nice game!

March 30, 2010 9:58:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Its a DX10 only game.  XP users not wanted.

March 30, 2010 11:45:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting SpardaSon21,
Its a DX10 only game.  XP users not wanted.

Cool!

March 31, 2010 3:11:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Also STEAM only.

March 31, 2010 5:15:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Blowing shit up.

I like where this gameplay trend is going - as a big fan of Crusader games, I really like blowing shit up. Mercs 2 a bit, Sabatour and Red Faction: da big G and JustBeCause 2 all have this REALLY fun element (persistent destruction).

March 31, 2010 10:21:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I liked the demo enough to buy it even though it requires Steam (though that probably wouldn't have happend if I had to pay the full $50- I got it for $35).

March 31, 2010 10:58:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Played the 360 demo several times over this weekend...tons of fun.

March 31, 2010 11:36:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

i will likely buy it, but on 360.  my pc isnt powerful enough and im not really interesting buying from steam

March 31, 2010 7:07:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Played the demo on 360 and hit the time limit quite a few times.  For some reason, I felt the game, while quite open, felt a little "empty."  I'm not sure if I'd pay the full $60 price to get it.  But I may pick it up for around $30.

Bara

March 31, 2010 8:57:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It is LOADS of fun. It's like Grand Theft Auto taken to the Extreme. The grappler is tons of fun too. Have you tried tying someone to your helicopter yet and flying off? lol it's hilarious. There are some seriously sick stunts in this and blowing crap up is really satisfying. I'd say it's worth the 60 bucks depending on how your cash flow is. The only way it doesn't compare to GTA is in it's storyline. Some of the voice acting leaves a lot to be desired.

March 31, 2010 9:26:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As long my 'cousin' doesn't ring me every thirty seconds to invite me for a beer, it's already better than GTA4.

March 31, 2010 10:00:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting GunslingerBara,
Played the demo on 360 and hit the time limit quite a few times.  For some reason, I felt the game, while quite open, felt a little "empty."  I'm not sure if I'd pay the full $60 price to get it.  But I may pick it up for around $30.

Bara

The demo starts completely differently from the game.  (WTF, developers.  Why do they keep doing this when it just makes it seem like the game will have no story?)

Just Cause 2 is a lot of fun so far, I'll definately keep at it.  Travelling long distances can be a pain in the arse before you have any settlements nearby to extract to, but that's the only problem I've had with the gameplay.

(Back to how I started the thread) I can't compare with Crysis graphics because...well, I never really played Crysis.  I got to a point with a rocket launcher and a tank I was supposed to blow up, and I'd already USED the rocket launcher so couldn't figure out what the hell they wanted me to do, so I gave up on that one.

March 31, 2010 10:08:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Raven X,
Some of the voice acting leaves a lot to be desired.

I assume you mean "All of "...but at least its funny.

March 31, 2010 10:56:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I own the first Just Cause, and while tons of fun for the first few hours.......I found (like I do with every other open-world destruction-fest-shooter) that I was mindlessley moving from mission to mission wondering what the hell the point of the missions even was.

I say the above, keeping in mind I extensively played Just Cause, GTA, Mercs, Mercs 2, Far Cry 2 etc.

In my books they all end the same for me........somewhere in the middle of the game I get bored enough to never touch them again....

Beautiful to look at......but when attempting a relationship....found to be somewhat vapid.  Hmm..... 

the Monk

April 1, 2010 9:13:25 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The one open world game I keep going back to is Crackdown.  I haven't found another open world game so mind-numbingly AWESOME.  Can't wait for the sequel.

Just Cause 2 is way better than the first one.  I've barely put any time into the first one, and I don't really intend to.

April 1, 2010 11:03:31 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Savyg,
The one open world game I keep going back to is Crackdown.  I haven't found another open world game so mind-numbingly AWESOME.  Can't wait for the sequel.

Just Cause 2 is way better than the first one.  I've barely put any time into the first one, and I don't really intend to.

I love Crackdown!  Getting that last stupid green orb took me forever.

Bara

April 1, 2010 5:52:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Nice. 

I haven't tried to hunt down all the orbs.  I just keep deleting my save and starting the game over entirely. 

April 1, 2010 5:55:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Savyg,
Nice. 

I haven't tried to hunt down all the orbs.  I just keep deleting my save and starting the game over entirely. 

Most people only do that with thier girlfriends. How could you do that with a game?!?

April 1, 2010 6:17:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, when all the gang bosses are dead, you have the options of resetting them but they'd be so easy there'd be no point except collecting more shit and upgrading your skills further, or deleting your save and starting over, which is infinitely more entertaining to me.

I like collecting stuff but I'm not so into it that I'd put any particular focus to it.  I've gone through this game probably over twenty times.

Hell, I'd say over 35 but it's not like I've kept count.

April 4, 2010 4:50:50 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Savyg,

Holy crap the cheese meter just broke.  I love this game.

April 4, 2010 5:48:18 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I really want to like this game, but I am having a hell of a time getting into it. Maybe it's the controls. Seems like it would be more fluid with a controller(especially for driving), the mouse just feels a little "off" though I can't pinpoint how. The lack of any controller configs besides an Xbox360 controller is almost a gamebreaker. If I had a 360 controller I would probably have a 360 and not be playing it on the PC to begin with. Whenever I see that I think console port and that opens a whole lot more worries about how the game will be if I get further in. I'll keep giving it try here and there and hopefully eventually get into it.

April 4, 2010 12:57:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Umm? I'v mapped my controls nicely to my n52 and mouse (needed to put one macro on the mouse for the side button to jump).

My only real problem with this game is the sheer lunacy of the enemys spawning. Im only at the 4th heath level but I get a constant stream of rocket armed choppers at the same time as a billions of bullets from the never ending infantry. I've seen infantry spawn directly on the spot where and at the instant I shot the last one too. Its just dumb, walk 20m away from a base and the whole thing respawned.

This almost ruins the game since it forces you into one kind of playstyle. When there isn't a a comm tower to blow anyway which seems to disable choppers. I don't even know what the other things do (gas lines, coronels and statues).

I run out of ammo with my main weapons faaar too quickly, theres no blood effect on your character or similar so you don't really know your being hit in the hail of bullets until you hear the heart beat. There isn't enough medpacks (small medpacks should drop from the enemies imo!).

If there wasn't as many enemies CONSTANTLY spawning I would use the grapple to kill them more, as it is I just try and kill them or run away as fast as possible.

Beyond that - the game is AWESOME. lol Its really fun - just completing the settelments is a great experince. You really get the progression feel with the fact all main pickups actually improve you, your guns vehicles, give you money or chaos and then you get a TICK! when its done. I've only put 17 hours into so far and thats only been doing the settelments (and I've only done about 20% of them, im at 8% game completion).

I just wish this game had Coop... oh how I would wail in enjoyment at this in Coop. If it did this would almost beat Saints Row 2 in fun.

April 4, 2010 4:23:49 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting DethAdder,
I really want to like this game, but I am having a hell of a time getting into it. Maybe it's the controls. Seems like it would be more fluid with a controller(especially for driving), the mouse just feels a little "off" though I can't pinpoint how. The lack of any controller configs besides an Xbox360 controller is almost a gamebreaker. If I had a 360 controller I would probably have a 360 and not be playing it on the PC to begin with. Whenever I see that I think console port and that opens a whole lot more worries about how the game will be if I get further in. I'll keep giving it try here and there and hopefully eventually get into it.

It is definately a multi platform release, but that doesn't mean port.  I have a 360, but theres no way I'd be playing it on my 360.  The 360 doesn't have DirectX 10/11.

Driving with a keyboard feels off in every game I've ever played.  I do it anyway since controllers suck for shooting, but meh.  I haven't tried hooking both up and switching, wonder if that'd be cool.

Usually if the controls feel more off than they should, your system is overloaded and the controls suffer with the framerate, but that could just be a sweeping generalization that doesn't mean much to you.

April 4, 2010 5:41:43 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Umm? I'v mapped my controls nicely to my n52 and mouse (needed to put one macro on the mouse for the side button to jump).

I had to google n52 to see what it was . I'll try to use my Logitech profiler to map over controls, just usually lose the analog part if the pad isn't supported directly in game. Still would be better then driving with KB/mouse though.

It is definately a multi platform release, but that doesn't mean port. I have a 360, but theres no way I'd be playing it on my 360. The 360 doesn't have DirectX 10/11.

Driving with a keyboard feels off in every game I've ever played. I do it anyway since controllers suck for shooting, but meh. I haven't tried hooking both up and switching, wonder if that'd be cool.

Usually if the controls feel more off than they should, your system is overloaded and the controls suffer with the framerate, but that could just be a sweeping generalization that doesn't mean much to you.

I was kind of wondering how the 360 could hope to do the Gfx justice. I guess there's my answer, they don't.

I've tried the switching on and off thing with GTAIV and Red Faction:Guerilla with ok results. Maybe what I try here once I get the controls mapped over. I still see this game as a ton of fun once I get sorted.

I might check framerate with FRAPS, but I haven't felt that there has been any slowdown. My system has run pretty much everything I've thrown at it maxxed, so I hope this isn't the beginning of my hardware starting to show it's age.

April 4, 2010 7:44:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Savyg,
It is definately a multi platform release, but that doesn't mean port.  I have a 360, but theres no way I'd be playing it on my 360.  The 360 doesn't have DirectX 10/11.

Truth be told the graphical differences are minimal, at best. The PC obviously has the usual benefits - higher resolution textures  - but generally with cross-platform releases like this, the differences aren't game-breaking.

Screenshot comparison one
Screenshot comparison two
Screenshot comparison three
Screenshot comparison four

The only real difference is controler VS keyboard, and I'd prefer this with a controller.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.