The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Locked Post

Updates?

By on March 22, 2010 4:25:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Legitimate question here guys, so take it easy on me before you post any overly-opinionated remarks about my question.  Have they stopped updating this game?  I still see issues with the invalid game states, lobby crashes and Pantheon connectivity issues.  The release of two additional characters was nice, but I haven't seen any other additional updates to this game?  I'm about all "Cateract'd" out so to speak.   Play another map then you say? Sure I do that to, but all in the same, you can only play a map so many times before it eventually becomes old and uninteresting.   In other words, a patch to fix these issues and more maps (not mods) would be very nice and probably a wise investment for the company unless they have abandoned the betterment of the game.  I'd also like to mention that I've seen a sharp decline in the number of people playing (agree with me or not), I would assume it's for the above mentioned reasons and some.  Just my two cents.

+2 Karma | 16 Replies
March 22, 2010 4:59:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Based on the huge influx of players on release date to now, there is a definite decrease in players (at least on the weekends). I think it has to do with people moving on as they generally do with only the dedicated, veteran, or competitive players remaining. It's not like console games where everybody makes a mass exodus to the next big thing like Xbox players moving from Modern Warfare to World at War, then finally to Modern Warfare 2.

I don't know much about updates, since I haven't played much since release. But, other than the two new demigods, there will be some payable DLC according to the devs. As for the maps, they would get old, but considering its competition, it's not too bad at all (DoTa has one map to my knowledge and has had 1 map for years which is pretty sad).

I think the next few updates that will be free will be bug fixes and balance issues. Other than that, I think the maps and new demigods (if they do come) will have to be bought as stated by the devs.

March 22, 2010 9:10:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

From what I understand, there will be some kind of updates in the future...but there is unlikely to be anything substantial such as new DC (maps, new DG's). I suspect these updates will actually never occur. Frogboy is confident he can make them happen, but the money just isn't there.

March 22, 2010 6:40:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So basically in a nut shell we are S.O.L.  It just seems odd, the game has only been out...what...a little over a year and further development to better the game and the playing experience has ceased.  That just doesn't make sense to me.  This game is so much fun, has so much potential.  Everyone is always talking about money, at $50 dollars a pop I'd say the company made a pretty penny along with their other projects?  I'm almost thinking that's just a canned response now or an excuse.

March 22, 2010 6:42:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Pfizzyhead,
From what I understand, there will be some kind of updates in the future...but there is unlikely to be anything substantial such as new DC (maps, new DG's). I suspect these updates will actually never occur. Frogboy is confident he can make them happen, but the money just isn't there.

So basically in a nut shell we are S.O.L.  It just seems odd, the game has only been out...what...a little over a year? and further development to better the game and the playing experience has ceased.  That just doesn't make sense to me.  This game is so much fun, has so much potential.  Everyone is always talking about money, at $50 dollars a pop I'd say the company made a pretty penny along with their other projects?  I'm almost thinking that's just a canned response now or an excuse.

March 23, 2010 8:42:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

From what I understand, there will be some kind of updates in the future...but there is unlikely to be anything substantial such as new DC (maps, new DG's).

That's my understanding as well.

March 24, 2010 2:31:31 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

a user side map maker would have been the better way to go, less flashy but more user content would keep the community alive.

March 27, 2010 4:47:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting lordkosc,
a user side map maker would have been the better way to go, less flashy but more user content would keep the community alive.

That won't be possible sadly.

March 29, 2010 11:15:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Pfizzyhead,

Yes, I believe that we are now playing the final version of the game (1.2).  I would be very surprised if anything else is forthcoming.

March 30, 2010 12:54:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Final Version of the game...hmmm...guess they just said the hell with fixing invalid game stats, lobby crashes and adding more content for the betterment of the game.  That's piss poor in my book no matter how you look at it.

March 30, 2010 2:02:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I for one feel that they owe it to us to at least fix the invalid gamestate and constant crashes with this game. It is no way to do business to not completely fix this game to a consistently playable level before moving on to the next project. It is bad business and will earn GPG and Stardock a reputation they can do without. I for one really enjoy the game and get about 65-70 % of my games completed without errors of some kind ( counting other players bugging out). Some of this may be through the players own problems, but most of it is the game. Think about it, lobbies time out, password randomly resets on me and many other things. I feel that by posting about this Im just pissing in the wind though.

March 30, 2010 2:06:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Only thing they owed us were two new demigods, and now they paid their due and have left us a float. Welcome to the business world my friend where you get fucked the second you bend over.

March 30, 2010 2:50:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting fedex818,
I for one feel that they owe it to us to at least fix the invalid gamestate and constant crashes with this game. It is no way to do business to not completely fix this game to a consistently playable level before moving on to the next project. It is bad business and will earn GPG and Stardock a reputation they can do without. I for one really enjoy the game and get about 65-70 % of my games completed without errors of some kind ( counting other players bugging out). Some of this may be through the players own problems, but most of it is the game. Think about it, lobbies time out, password randomly resets on me and many other things. I feel that by posting about this Im just pissing in the wind though.

I feel like I've gotten my money out of demigod.  I played ALOT of games.  I enjoyed ALOT of games.

Here's the negative.  Yes, it is right to feel that a company selling a game FOCUSED ON MULTIPLAYER should provide a good MULTIPLAYER experience.  Is the multiplayer experience great?  No.  It is not.  Is the multilayer experience good?  No.  It is not. Seriously - ask yourself if you think the MP experience is good.  It ain't.

Are MP stats easily skewed?  Yes.  Is it easy to cheat?  Yes.  Will they fix the exploits at this point?  No. 

You will not get automatic fair matchmaking with this game.  Any MP focused decent gameplay out today will provide this.  What you can get is automatic matchmaking in pantheon.  This means that if you choose forces of light, you will lose the 1v1 game you will fight against Erebus.  If you choose erebus - you will either win or likely wait a very long time to play.  In short, the multiplayer experience is okay if you have an experienced buddy willing to walk you through the paces or are experienced with MP gaming.  But only if. 

I bought demigod after reading a review that it was a diamond in the rough.  Excellent gameplay, but plagued by pirates at launch and MP issues.  I knew I was getting into a great game with terrbile issues.  I had hoped most of the issues would be overcome, but many remain... now to the point that we can't expect any fixes in a reasonable timeframe.  Eg - I expect the next patch in > 6 months at this point, if at all.  And when I say patch, I mean changes that anyone will care about.  

I really wish this was a game developed and published by SD.  Alot of this sounds like a gripe against them, but frankly, I'm really confident that this game would have been a labor of love for brad if it was his IP.  He would have turned this into something amazing.  This could have been your counterstrike.  We'd see our bug fixes at the very least.  As it is, I could fix most of the bugs in demigod in 2 hours thanks to our great community.  If only I could get the fixed version of dgdata.zip released.  So, 2 hours of my time to get a compiled dgdata.zip.  Then SD distributes that and we have our bug fixes.... but thanks to the corporate model or something... oh well.

March 30, 2010 8:54:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The corporate model could be fixed by people at GPG talking to one good tax attorney. They could massively improve their tax relief on their current income streams if they would bury thier IP in SD and leverage their basis in it immediately.

March 30, 2010 9:08:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

frogboy explicitely said there will be at least ONE additional update. he didnt mention its contents though. i believe it will contain some balance and bug fixes but the gamestate error wont be fixed and the lobby will stay the same as well. my hope is that they will open up the lobby (or the whole dgdata.zip) for modding so that some of the community members will be able to fix the lobby crashes and add some new maps.

frogboy also mentioned that the next patch wont come in the near future!

his comment is somewhere in the forum. search yourself if you have time.

March 30, 2010 10:12:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

To quote an uncle of mine that is from the deepest appalachian mountains...he can give you promises in one of your hands and he can sh|t in the other and you can see which one fills up faster.

This is to tell you that I do not believe that the update will come.

March 30, 2010 10:24:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Via Brad:

Our model is to release a title and generate revenue from it over a long period of time through free updates.  GPG has the more traditional model of a AAA game studio where their income is generated via publisher advances on new titles.  That's why GPG went on to SupCom2 and why they're pushing Kings and Castles so hard right now (they are looking for publishers to pay for its development). 

I am hoping that GPG will release more updates to Demigod. And I will be lobbying them to let us include fan made updates with the game.  

Demigod's support isn't at an end. There WILL be more Demigod updates. I promise you that even if I have to do LUA updates myself.

Also read the journals.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000578   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.