The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Which would you rather live on? Mars or Venus?

A comparison of the planets Mars and Venus to Earth.

By on March 18, 2010 7:42:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

To start with, Earth has an axial tilt of 23.4°, Mars 25°, and Venus 178°. The axial tilt determines the possibility of seasons. Mars' axial tilt is very similar to Earth's but Venus' axial tilt is way out there.

The length of day on Mars is 1.026 Earth days (or about 24 hours and 39 minutes). The length of day on the planet Venus is 243.02 Earth days and Venus rotates in the opposite direction of both Earth and Mars.

The length of year on Mars is about twice as long as on Earth though, 686.98 Earth days. The length of year on Venus is 224.7 Earth days, which is 18.3 Earth days shorter than its own day.

The mean average temperature on Earth is positive 46.1°F, on Mars it is negative 45.7°F, and on Venus it is positive 847°F. Making Mars frigid and Venus a furnace. Perhaps food could be cooked on Venus and sent for storage on Mars...

Links:

Earth: http://pds.jpl.nasa.gov/planets/special/earth.htm

Mars: http://pds.jpl.nasa.gov/planets/special/mars.htm

Venus: http://pds.jpl.nasa.gov/planets/special/venus.htm

+15 Karma | 21 Replies
March 18, 2010 7:56:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Mars; it isn't even in the same ballpark as Venus. Mars has water (albiet frozen), arable soil capable of growing crops, non-crushing pressure, and you won't spontaneously combust upon getting near the surface. Pressure is fairly low, at an avg of about 1% of earth at ground level, but as long as you had a heated wetsuit and oxygen, you could probably survive.

March 18, 2010 8:18:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Considering the O2 content of both, perhaps a better question would be "Would you rather die on mars or venus"...... I like it hot, so assuming that I didn't get the aforementioned heated wetsuit, I'd rather go out in fire than ice.

March 18, 2010 8:44:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd have to go with Venus. According to my research, Women originate from there
Sorry, I'll go away now.

March 19, 2010 11:08:35 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting ZehDon,
I'd have to go with Venus. According to my research, Women originate from there

Is that where theor hot flashes come from? (Ducks and runs).

March 19, 2010 1:48:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You guys are very brave

March 19, 2010 2:23:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Scoutdog,
Considering the O2 content of both, perhaps a better question would be "Would you rather die on mars or venus"...... I like it hot, so assuming that I didn't get the aforementioned heated wetsuit, I'd rather go out in fire than ice.

Best answer +1

March 20, 2010 6:51:57 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

On Venus you would be burned, crushed and corroded in a fraction of a second.

On Mars you could survive in an environment suit for many hours. You could have a large base with all the things required for survival, such as food and water. You could even grow things in the Martian soil (indoors).

With the right support, Mars is do-able. Venus is a no-go, even with our best technology.

March 22, 2010 2:08:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Mars, no question. 

March 22, 2010 2:11:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's hot on Venus and it has lots of smog.  The cool and relaxing clime of Mars sounds much more inviting.  Perhaps someone will go in on a condo there with me?

March 22, 2010 6:24:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Mars

March 22, 2010 1:40:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Mars, hands down.  Why do you think it's such a popular planet in Sci-Fi?

For another thing, it'd be easier to terraform Mars than it would be Venus.

March 22, 2010 3:04:34 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Warlord Mike,

I was thinking the same thing about terrforming.  And the added bonus is no one would complain about global warming!

March 22, 2010 3:11:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Warlord Mike,

Yeah, though Venus is still far more likely than any other planet. I guess there is Mercury, but really there isn't a lot that we can do about its temperatures. Venus at least in theory would be a lot cooler if it had a habitable atmosphere.

March 22, 2010 3:36:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Dr Guy,

And the added bonus is no one would complain about global warming!

I read the Mars series by Kim Robinson. One of the themes is how eco-terrorists rise up against the terraforming of Mars. "we must get rid of the nasty green stuff sprouting up everywhere!"

March 23, 2010 4:54:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Pretty interesting info. I think I would have to go with Mars too.

March 23, 2010 7:13:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting djcityscapes,

Quoting Dr Guy, reply 12
And the added bonus is no one would complain about global warming!
I read the Mars series by Kim Robinson. One of the themes is how eco-terrorists rise up against the terraforming of Mars. "we must get rid of the nasty green stuff sprouting up everywhere!"

I was going to mention the Mars trilogy, but you beat me to it. Recommended reading for anyone interested in space colonization, terraforming, or alternative socioeconomic paradigms.

Terraforming Venus might be doable, but we wouldn't be able to actually go there until very late in the process. In contrast, we can go to Mars now and build underground colonies or cover the canyons while we work on "polluting" the atmosphere to make it warmer and thicker.

March 23, 2010 7:38:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

And when you are fed up with Mars and Venus you can go to Jupiter's moon Europa - you just have to drill through the ice to get into the heated ocean (probably water) below. There might be some interesting fish swimming in there!

Or if you are willing to wait a bit longer you could go to Saturn's moon Titan: it's a bit cold today but you'll have rivers, lakes and mountains. If you just wait until the Sun is blown up to like 10 times its present size before dying, Titan could be warmed up and become a really cozy - if short-lived- brand new Earth.   

March 23, 2010 7:59:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would rather live in uranus.

March 24, 2010 10:39:22 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting djcityscapes,

I have read several authors that expand on that theme. Indeed, ST-TNG even had an episode along those lines.  One man's polution......

March 24, 2010 11:25:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Venus. It's like Los Angeles, but nicer.

March 24, 2010 1:39:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Warlord Mike,

For another thing, it'd be even remotely possible to terraform Mars than it would be Venus.
Fixed that for you.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.