The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

I don’t like monopolies, especially ourselves

By on March 18, 2010 2:19:15 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Back a few years ago, more than one person remarked how odd it was that Stardock hosted (for free) its primary competitor in the Windows desktop theming world (Samurize). It competed (and still does but the market has changed quite a bit since Windows Vista came out) with DesktopX.  Why would we do that? 

My answer was: I don’t like monopolies, especially ourselves. 

When we were designing up the specifications for Impulse::Reactor, there was much debate over whether it should require the inclusion of the Impulse store or require the creation of Impulse store accounts.  I was adamant that it shouldn’t because the job of Impulse::Reactor isn’t to replace Steamworks with something that’s just as exclusive. On the contrary, I don’t want Impulse to dominate. I don’t want Steam to dominate or any of the others either.  In the past couple of years, I’ve seen enough of the sausage factory that is the game industry to know that you definitely do not want anyone having leverage over publishers or consumers.

If your motivation is to create excellent things, you want competition. If you’re a consumer, you want competition for your dollars.

No matter how wonderful a thing is when it starts out, the end behavior is inevitably the same once they have leverage. The solution is to prevent anyone from ever having a monopoly in the first place.

+891 Karma | 69 Replies
April 26, 2010 1:54:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting VicenteC,

Quoting Nesrie, reply 49
This might have been true in the beginning, but after they got their foot in the door they pretty much beat down any competition to a bloody pulp anytime anyone even attempted to compete with them. They've had enough legal issues that say exactly that, with enough blood on their hands not to be able tojust claim they deliver what consumers want. They're right up there with Intel in shady business practices. I am not exactly anti-Microsoft and certainly not pro Apple or anything like that, but I won't just sit back and applaud Microsoft for their business practicies.

Well, Microsoft has improved their behavior a lot in the last years, those legal issues are pretty old in general. In the meanwhile, Apple is starting to behave just like Microsoft used to...

I think Apple has, for the most part, always behaved the same way. Just with the market share they had/have, it really isn't an issue for monopolistic type laws.

April 26, 2010 2:13:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't think so, their latest change to the iPhone OS 4.0 SDK License is a clear move to try to establish a monopoly on the mobile phone market. Right now the iPhone is the platform that moves more money with apps, if they cut out middleware that allows multiplatform apps, developers are forced to:

- Develop only for the iPhone (the more profitable market).

- Develop for the rest of the platforms (less profitable).

- Make every app 2 times (one for the iPhone and another for the other platforms).

Cutting middleware out of the iPhone is a good way to avoid other phones marketplaces taking off as most developers will stick with the iPhone, and thus trying to build a monopoly on Smartphones making the iPhone more attractive because it has better apps than the competition.

No idea if they did similar moves in the past, but this case is pretty clear.

April 26, 2010 3:15:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting VicenteC,

Well, Microsoft has improved their behavior a lot in the last years, those legal issues are pretty old in general. In the meanwhile, Apple is starting to behave just like Microsoft used to...

Old is a relative term. It's not so long ago like the Baby Bell splits and it's certainly recent enough that their practices still left a heavy impact on the industry. As for Apple, I have no love for that company at all. They've pretty much proven the same thing Toyota did, that no matter how "friendly" a business is towards it's customers, no matter how much of an underdog you start as and certainly no matter how popular the management team might be, in the end all businesses pretty much steer towards the same direction, trying to get a monopoly position and once they get it, acting just like the large companies they railed against during their early years. I mean if it was up to Apple, via iTunes, we'd see our music downloads and handicapped as our games are.

April 26, 2010 4:30:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In the business of computer science, I would say it's old, but of course they continue paying for it (and they will continue for a lot of years surely). About Toyota, I suppose your perception of them depends on the country you live: in most of the world they have a pretty good brand, but in the USA they have been attacked lately just to save the sales of their own car manufacturers...

April 26, 2010 6:56:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting VicenteC,
In the business of computer science, I would say it's old, but of course they continue paying for it (and they will continue for a lot of years surely). About Toyota, I suppose your perception of them depends on the country you live: in most of the world they have a pretty good brand, but in the USA they have been attacked lately just to save the sales of their own car manufacturers...

Well that's just bullshit. They're getting what they deserve, and it has nothing to do with the companies origin. There is a huge, huge list of companies thave have taken their lumps for fking up badly in the consumer eyes. Firestone, Ford, Jack N Box, Toyota... nothing special about any of them. You mess up, you're going to get it hard and then you can try to recover. Whining about it to the rest of the world is just pathetic.

April 27, 2010 7:31:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The biggest car recalls in recent history are mostly from american companies (Ford and GM), but they haven't received such a mediatic gangbang in the USA as Toyota recently has (and their recalls were for far more important problems). Outside USA, Toyota is a brand with a pretty good name in general (that's one of the reasons they are the number 1 manufacturer in the world and why they were able to overcome GM faster than anyone expected).

April 27, 2010 3:15:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting VicenteC,
The biggest car recalls in recent history are mostly from american companies (Ford and GM), but they haven't received such a mediatic gangbang in the USA as Toyota recently has (and their recalls were for far more important problems). Outside USA, Toyota is a brand with a pretty good name in general (that's one of the reasons they are the number 1 manufacturer in the world and why they were able to overcome GM faster than anyone expected).

You're not even in the USA, you have no clue as to what GM and Ford have gone through in the USA. GM and Ford have had many, many issues and that is why they didn't sell very many cars. Toyota was at the top, largely because of PR issues with Ford and GM. I think it's pathetic that Toyota whines that they are being picked on for something they knowingly did. But hey, I forgot the new motto is guilty if America, innocent if you are not. Cheers

April 28, 2010 6:10:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've lived in the USA, in fact, I was living there when all the Toyota thing exploded The way things around Toyota recalls were handled and advertised was a joke given how other brands have had far bigger and important problems in recent times.

April 28, 2010 3:45:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting VicenteC,
I've lived in the USA, in fact, I was living there when all the Toyota thing exploded The way things around Toyota recalls were handled and advertised was a joke given how other brands have had far bigger and important problems in recent times.

Then maybe you were too young to watch the exact same thing happen to Firestone and Ford, or the Pinto incident, or the other dozens of exampls. This is not new. Toyota is hot a whipping boy that the rest of the world needs to feel sorry for. This is part of being in the US market. They are welcome to leave it. No one forces them here.

April 28, 2010 7:36:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Nesrie,

Then maybe you were too young to watch the exact same thing happen to Firestone and Ford, or the Pinto incident, or the other dozens of exampls. This is not new. Toyota is hot a whipping boy that the rest of the world needs to feel sorry for. This is part of being in the US market. They are welcome to leave it. No one forces them here.

Ford has had a 14m vehicles recall between 2008 and 2009, I'm old enough Compared to the 4m Toyotas it is just a joke.

April 28, 2010 9:20:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting VicenteC,

Ford has had a 14m vehicles recall between 2008 and 2009, I'm old enough Compared to the 4m Toyotas it is just a joke.

Do you know what I am talking about when I say Firestone and Ford? You keep giving these half-ass generic remarks like you think you know something but you aren't actually willing to show it.

April 28, 2010 9:39:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You are talking about and incident from 10 years ago. And I'm talking about an incident that happened more or less in the same timeframe of the Toyota recalls, which seems a better comparison, instead of talking about the "old times".

Feel free to compare recent recalls and how they were managed and decide yourself if it was right or not. You seem to believe they were handled the same way for everyone, I do not.

April 28, 2010 9:58:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Nesrie,
...in the end all businesses pretty much steer towards the same direction, trying to get a monopoly position and once they get it, acting just like the large companies they railed against during their early years...

Oh how true these words really are.
Long before I joined the techno-crowd, IBM were the big boys and Microsoft were the ones people rallied behind for change and innovation.  Then Microsoft became the PC company, and established a monopoly and managed to hold on to it for quite a while.  This earnt them a place of hatred amongst many users, gamers and developers.  People rallied behind companies like Apple for innovation and change.  Apple's adoption rate has increased of late, and with the iPod and iPhone, they've really become a force unto themselves.  Now look what's happening: they want the market to themselves and are taking steps to ensure that they achieve a monopoly, and they're releasing things like the iPad who's design limitations actually seemed designed to ensure a dependancy on Apple accessories and service partners *cough*AT&T*cough*.  It makes me wonder if a company like Stardock achieve market dominance against Steam, would they too surcome to the lure of the sound of cash registers?

April 29, 2010 12:51:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting VicenteC,
You are talking about and incident from 10 years ago. And I'm talking about an incident that happened more or less in the same timeframe of the Toyota recalls, which seems a better comparison, instead of talking about the "old times".

Feel free to compare recent recalls and how they were managed and decide yourself if it was right or not. You seem to believe they were handled the same way for everyone, I do not.

Who said anything about recalls. If I recall, your complaint is how the media and public in the USA is treating Toyota. Ford and Firestone were dragged through the coals for the incident. It is NO different. And wtf, old times 10 years ago. What are you 12?

April 29, 2010 1:05:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

[quote who="ZehDon" reply="63" id="2606603"]

It makes me wonder if a company like Stardock achieve market dominance against Steam, would they too surcome to the lure of the sound of cash registers?

[/quote]

I like Stardock just fine. I really do for the most part but there isn't a single company that started out as the giant hated monopoly they are today. EA, Ubisoft, Activision... they didn't really start so differently than Stardock did. Hell, just look at Valve/Steam... they only have a small market share (including the BM sales) and are already showing tendencies to trying to solidify a monopoly position they don't actually have yet. They are clearly the leader in digi sales at the moment, but it's not as if its guaranteed that can't change.

No one comes out when they are small saying they intend to get customers through innovation, solid products and value only to turn around and screw them over later and use their fat coffers to pay lawyers to make sure any competitors have to spend more time figuring out how similar their fruit looks to Apple's logo than whether or not they have something solid to offer as alternative to what's top in the market now.

April 29, 2010 12:11:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Nesrie,

Who said anything about recalls. If I recall, your complaint is how the media and public in the USA is treating Toyota. Ford and Firestone were dragged through the coals for the incident. It is NO different. And wtf, old times 10 years ago. What are you 12?

And why is the media talking about Toyota? Why they are not talking about other car companies in the same terms NOW?

April 29, 2010 3:53:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting VicenteC,

Quoting Nesrie,
reply 64

And why is the media talking about Toyota? Why they are not talking about other car companies in the same terms NOW?

I thought you said you were here when Toyota had it's issue? If you are actually informed as you say you are, then you are aware that Toyota is having a massive recall involving gas pedeals (its still ongoing actually more models keep coming up since they used this design in multiple models) complete with coverups and inside memos that indicate they knew about the problem before deaths were caused by it, this is complete with an actual numeric total that says how much they would save if they convince regulators not to actually not do their jobs. Yeah, when you have a flaw in your design, lie about it, try to convince your customers that its their floor matts and then your memos are leaked that reveal you knew all along there was a problem your company and your ass will wind up in trouble and in the media. It doesn't matter if your name is Toyota, GM, or Ford. When any of these companies have a big recall, they wind up in the news. Toyota's gets a little extra heat because when the news broke, their response was pretty much... nothing. Yep a big fat zero as info is rolling out. Apparently they decided it was more important to whine to countries outside the US.

Having lived in Japan, I am not at all surprised that Toyota is getting a lot of sympathy from the Japanese. There is a cultural link to that sort of think, especially with big companies Japan is really, really proud of.

As to why is Toyota sometimes still in the news, they are still working on the problem, still offering fixes, still recalling models. It's not exactly headline news anymore but they have a new issue to play with since they pulled one their SUV's after getting a terrible, terrible rating from Consumer Reports. Since you are so informed about the USA, I am sure you know all about Consumer Reports right? And, of course, you are also aware that it is a private company and no one forced Toyota to pull that model, they did it themselves. And since it is not an every day event that a any car company yanks hits model from the floor because its labeled a pos of shit, they're in the news again for that reason.

Oh and they get to be in the news a lot now because when a Toyota is involved in a crash, they get to investigate if there was an auto acceleration involved.

So let's recap shall we? Toyota had a love affair with consumers, the media, and reviewers for years while Ford and GM and company struggled. Toyota messed up big time with a design flaw that hits a lot of models but hides it, tries to cover it up, is caught and instead of apologizing and going into damage control, they offer no real response at all and whines to the rest of the world that they are being treated unfairly, probably leaving out the part that some of information on this issues is still being held back and designed in a way that regulators in the market they choose to sell in, no one forces them here remember, can't get to it. Then you have someone on a Stardock forum saying hey, what's the deal here, Ford and GM aren't getting any spankings, well that's just not fair! Totally blowing this out proporation right, have to overlook the actual deaths involved to say that I guess. To that I say, you know what, it's Toyota's turn today. If they're smart, they'll fix their issue, regain some trust again, not all that will take time, and move on. Next time it could be Ford or GM or god forbid VW or some European brand because then you'll back throwing a fit right, claiming things aren't fair again... right? Get real.

April 29, 2010 5:19:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Since you are so informed about cars and their market, you probably know that nearly ALL car companies have MASSIVE recalls every month. Saying that big recalls should make the news is really believing most of the crap that has been said about this subject: recalls and defects have been used to generate worries and trying to sink the sales of a brand (this happens in cars, banks, and so on).

For example: Toyota recalled 600k vehicles in April. In March GM recalled 1.3m, Honda 410k, Nissan 540k,... Ford has had in the last two years the biggest recall in USA history with 14.1m vehicles (nearly 4 times the Toyota recall, nearly 2 times the second biggest recall in USA history,...). Given how Toyota has been treated about their recall (and you are partly right, how they handled the affair), the Ford recall should have been legendary, but it wasn't.

April 29, 2010 6:18:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting VicenteC,
Since you are so informed about cars and their market, you probably know that nearly ALL car companies have MASSIVE recalls every month. Saying that big recalls should make the news is really believing most of the crap that has been said about this subject: recalls and defects have been used to generate worries and trying to sink the sales of a brand (this happens in cars, banks, and so on).

For example: Toyota recalled 600k vehicles in April. In March GM recalled 1.3m, Honda 410k, Nissan 540k,... Ford has had in the last two years the biggest recall in USA history with 14.1m vehicles (nearly 4 times the Toyota recall, nearly 2 times the second biggest recall in USA history,...). Given how Toyota has been treated about their recall (and you are partly right, how they handled the affair), the Ford recall should have been legendary, but it wasn't.

You must have missed the cover up part and the fact they lied about the problem. You don't have to let me convince you, the insurance companies going after Toyota for their bs is proof enough.

Also, you seem really stuck on the word recall, try dropping that from your vocab for a minute, if you can. They are not in hot water because of the recall... its the issues around these recalls that is the issue.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.