The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Freedom of Speech

By on March 9, 2010 3:57:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I noticed the post I made last night has been deleted.  When that happens you know you've hit close to home.

+2 Karma | 46 Replies
March 9, 2010 4:19:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Please read the announcement at the top of your page for more information on where your post went.

March 9, 2010 4:23:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Freedom of speech does not apply to privately owned forums you know.

March 9, 2010 4:26:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Itsmevic sounds like one of the customers that call me.

Reading notices seems to be a lost art.

March 9, 2010 4:28:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

In all fairness, he posted this before we posted the notice.

March 9, 2010 4:32:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Doh. Man, now I look like a customer.

March 9, 2010 4:32:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Also:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Congress had nothing to do with our servers having issues, Stardock being a privately owned company.

March 9, 2010 4:33:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Teseer,
Itsmevic sounds like one of the customers that call me.

Reading notices seems to be a lost art.
rEADIN A NOTICE? WHAT IS THAT!

March 9, 2010 4:35:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I hate you Synn. So...so much.

March 9, 2010 4:45:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As noted, "freedom of speech" only applies in regard to what the government may or may not do. You have no right or freedom to do anything at all on someone else's private property (including websites)--only what revocable priveleges the owner allows you.

March 9, 2010 5:10:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Teseer,
I hate you Synn. So...so much.
tHIS IS A PRIVATE SERVER SON; WE DON'T ALLOW YOU TO HATE ON SYNN!!!!

March 9, 2010 5:18:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As noted, "freedom of speech" only applies in regard to what the government may or may not do. You have no right or freedom to do anything at all on someone else's private property (including websites)--only what revocable priveleges the owner allows you.

Don't tell him....but I'm going to steal this para for my own use on WC...

Only bit I'd change is 'the government' should be 'your government'... Spell checker

March 9, 2010 5:20:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Not everyone here is from the U.S of course.

March 9, 2010 7:38:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i fail to see its privacy atm. It's on the internet and its public.

is it percieved to be as private as ur profile on facebook?

March 9, 2010 8:03:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Private property has nothing to do with privacy. The term refers to something owned by an individual third party, as opposed to government (public property). If you walk into a store, business, or home, you're on private property (the door being open or not to random passersby is irrelevant); you'd be on public property in the street, in a state park, government office, etc.

When you're on someone else's property, they get to decide if you're allowed there and what you're allowed to do, even if what you're doing is completely legal. If you walk into a business and start making a disruption or ranting about how horrible you are to everyone around, they've got every right to show you the door.

March 9, 2010 8:42:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Im trying to bring what you have written there into the context of the internet. I don't know all the technicalities.

But i think there is an underlying message behind all the "Rage" threads. I mean, people can only have so much patience and when voicing something constructive that falls on deaf ears (so its seems to be the case) makes this process much more frustrating. Hence, the high occurance of these types of threads.

I found myself supporting the game for such a long time yet i didnt see many changes based on the complaints people made throughout the lifetime of this game.

Then came the time i started to question the game itself, since ongoign support was at its bare minimum. I understand costs are involved and they can be restrictive, but that's what project planning is for. Maybe the game was too ambitious?

Demigod had great potential but at this rate and judging by it's history, we'd be kidding ourselves if we thought the game were to be worked on and improved. There are mods that exist now addressing a lot of demigods issues but no dev has taking the oppourtunity to sit down and make it official.

March 9, 2010 9:27:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting gkrit,

Demigod had great potential but at this rate and judging by it's history, we'd be kidding ourselves if we thought the game were to be worked on and improved. There are mods that exist now addressing a lot of demigods issues but no dev has taking the oppourtunity to sit down and make it official.

these things have to be paid and thats the problem. the only thing that bothers me is that no developer posts in the forum. really its not that hard or time consuming to give hints or something. its like the game has been abandoned by every single programmer.

March 9, 2010 9:30:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

and thats another issue ... communication. We are left in the dark.

March 9, 2010 10:11:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

these things have to be paid and thats the problem. the only thing that bothers me is that no developer posts in the forum. really its not that hard or time consuming to give hints or something.

As I noted this morning in the lock message in one of the lost threads, Brad went over all this in another thread over the weekend. There's really no need to keep making new threads on the subject to say the same things again (or for that matter, to turn this thread into one of them).

And for those who think it's a great idea to make new rant threads to gloat about having another rant locked, please avail yourself of the above comments re: private property.

March 10, 2010 12:16:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd like to ask a couple of questions and will appreciate a direct answer.

- What approach (if any) will be undertaken to relieve these forums of such threads? If this issue has already been addressed, soulc we have a detailed version of it posted in the journals section.

- How or when will we know things will change with the game (ongoign support, patching, content etc)?

- Why hasn't there been any more news on demigod in the journals section? Is it because it's not being worked on anymore?

March 10, 2010 1:04:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

- How or when will we know things will change with the game (ongoign support, patching, content etc)?

- Why hasn't there been any more news on demigod in the journals section? Is it because it's not being worked on anymore?

Brad's the one who posts journals, and he's been otherwise occupied as Elemental work ramps up. As he noted on the thread linked above, we're working towards further support and updates for Demigod as well. However we'll be doing it quietly as givng ETAs and progress updates just leads to more complaints in many cases.

March 10, 2010 1:25:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think the problem there, is that when a patch comes out we fear that the following patch won't be any time soon after.

To know that a patch will come out regularly is very reassuring, because it tells us that things WILL be done and that we won't have to wait forever for another patch. It's when we have to wait for long periods at a time that it becomes frustrating to see any results addressing very obvious issues that 'everyone' complains about.

I think as a consumer we have to understand that there's a lot we dunno that goes on behind the scenes that we take for granted but a developer also needs to realise that a consumer is going act upon how they feel about a product and its usually for the benefit of the company. Feedback is very important and im pretty sure we all know this.

But it is good to hear something is being done, its just that it's taking forever. And a lot of gamers dont know patience.

March 10, 2010 8:50:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting gkrit,
I think as a consumer we have to understand that there's a lot we dunno that goes on behind the scenes that we take for granted but a developer also needs to realise that a consumer is going act upon how they feel about a product and its usually for the benefit of the company. Feedback is very important and im pretty sure we all know this.

I've been at Stardock for a little over 6 months, and it still amazes me how willing they are to engage the community that surrounds them.  I've worked for large corporations, small businesses, non-profits, and everything in between.  I, for one, want customers to act on how they feel, because you're right, it usually does benefit the company.

The problem is when people (and I'm not referring to you or the OP in this case, just in general) react with venom, and vitriol.  Anger I can understand.  Frustration I can understand.  But some of the things I've seen people say just make me wonder what they hope to accomplish.  I'm all for an argument.  I'd LOVE for there to be more real arguments around here.  When you argue, you're stating your side of things, while trying to refute the other side of things, all with the end goal of making things better.  But an argument requires an open mind.  If your mind is closed, then it becomes something else, something where your only goal is then to hurt your opponent, and that's not going to accomplish anything worthwhile.

March 10, 2010 9:07:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well since demigod has such a good gameplay. graphics and kind of balanced characters it attracted lots of hardcore players, and belive me those people tend to get angry when their game been exploited 5th or 6th time in a row by some noob who only knows that if he leaves before victory screen he wont loose his winning streak. Such a obvius and ridiculusly stupid exploit should be patched ASAP in multiplayer orientated game such as demigod wanted to be. But instead of quick fix we get 2 new demis or modding tools.

So we write posts askin to fix it sometimes fev times and what happends? Either no response or you hear somethin like "you already paid money for the game so we dont care about you anymore, be glad that we let you write on our private forum, coz you should either contact atari (which only have 2 posts on their forums made by admin) or GPG (which redirects everyone to this forum)"

Seriusly this is meant to be multiplayer orientated game and even freakin stats are not working the way they should. It's rather pathetic.

Kryo or Rosco please give example of other game in last 5 years that had such a multiplayer problems. I looked really hard and couldnt find any.

And when forgboy said there is no vilans and no one to blame in this story it really made me stop playin this game.

Like i said before if only you would be as good in banning exploiters in the game as you are in locking posts many more people whould have still be playin

March 10, 2010 9:43:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That is very close to true Synn. but not quite. Freedom of speech does apply to private forums when a.) the administrator entity of the forum is located within the United States, and b.) the forum is being operated in a capacity that provides a public function that is generally provided by the government. "A." is true here, but "B." is not. So, you were correct in implying that there is no freedom of speech in this context.

March 10, 2010 10:36:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Rosco_P,
But some of the things I've seen people say just make me wonder what they hope to accomplish. 

The best thing anyone can do to better their lives imo is realize that roughly 4% of the population are psychopaths.  They have literally no conscience, no concept of right or wrong, no empathy, they know only what they want... they were born like that and they will die like that.

Take the 15 minutes it takes to read about... you won't be sorry in the long run. 

Once you understand that, it's easy to understand all the stupid things you hear about people doing, shrug them off or avoid them entirely.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.