The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Gas Powered Games is Pretty Awesome

By on February 25, 2010 8:11:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I decided to take up on the offer about emailing GPG at [email protected] about Chris Taylor saying he wanted to move his company towards the Steam platform. I don't want Kings and Castles to be a Steam only game, so I decided to email about it. And I got responses.

I know its early in the development process, but Chris Taylor mentioning in the Best Buy chat he wants to go all Steam concerns me. I don't think a Steam monopoly on a game is a good idea. Didn't GPG help put together the Gamer Bills of Rights? http://www.edge-online.com/blogs/the-gamers-bill-rights

I love GPG games, but I don't have the same love for Steam's requirements.

Well, the choice to use Steam is a publisher decision, but now that we’ve been working with the guys over there, I think it’s an awesome service.  Having said that, we’ll continue to evaluate GFWL and other services, and as you know, Demigod uses Impulse.  So, we’re pretty good about spreading the love… don’t you think?

Thanks,

Chris

You make a decent point about spreading the love. Despite the bumpy start, I got a lot of love out of Demigod and I really like the Stardock people. The polish on the game, the visuals, especially the audio was just all awesome. While I acknowledge Steam's advantages, as a consumer who honestly pays for the game, the whole "internet required" stipulation is a turn off. Piracy sucks in the business, but even Valve games are cracked. If Steam, like Impulse, was only required to be on when there are updates, then I would be fine. I didn't think I was going to get SupCom 2 because of the Steam requirement, but the more awesome it looked as more trailers came out these pass few weeks, and the Adam Sessler independent studio session at DICE makes me want to support GPG.

Looking forward to Supreme Commander 2 next week and Kings and Castles way down the line. I agree with your strategy about letting the public know about the development process early on. I think its great!

Thanks for understanding.  One day we’ll hopefully have a really good solution, but right now… we’re just getting through the transition so that we can one day live without piracy, and also deliver the best experience to our paying customers. J

Thanks,

Chris

+37 Karma | 12 Replies
February 25, 2010 10:14:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Clearly the "really good solution" will end up being Xbox LIVE Exclusive!

February 26, 2010 4:39:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can agree to say that the fact that they answered is awsome.

BUT calling a company that will release SupCom2 on Steam only awsome. Well, I cannot bring myself to that. I will drop SupCom2 due to the Steam only choice.

-1 Awesomeness from me

I loved Total Annihilation and I liked SupCom, but SupCom2 I will have to pass

February 26, 2010 5:13:33 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Glad I don't really have to worry about this one. I was pretty set on not touching SupCom2 because of the Steam requirement (at least not legally), after trying the Demo, I can happily say that instead, I'm not going to bother with SupCom2 because I think it's crap, inferior in every way to SupCom1.

February 26, 2010 5:33:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I decided to take up on the offer about emailing GPG at [email protected] about Chris Taylor saying he wanted to move his company towards the Steam platform.

At least it's not Ubisoft? The only game that I'd consider to buy in Steam would be Alpha Protocol (if Sega goes as usual).

February 26, 2010 10:28:25 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting joasoze,
I can agree to say that the fact that they answered is awsome.

BUT calling a company that will release SupCom2 on Steam only awsome. Well, I cannot bring myself to that. I will drop SupCom2 due to the Steam only choice.

-1 Awesomeness from me

I loved Total Annihilation and I liked SupCom, but SupCom2 I will have to pass

Its a publisher decision, not a developer decision.

February 26, 2010 5:17:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Polynomial,

It takes two to tango.

February 27, 2010 2:42:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting joasoze,

Quoting Polynomial, reply 5
It takes two to tango.

Again, its a publisher decision.

February 27, 2010 7:57:48 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I've heard "It's the publisher's decision" repeatedly. GPG signed the contract either giving up their rights to diversify distribution or knowing going in what their publishers plans were. They are just as much to blame if people are unhappy with the choice. I could care less because I wouldn't be buying it either way, but that line really doesn't hold water.

February 28, 2010 4:36:41 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, if they wanted an integrated multiplayer portal, they had 3 choices...build their own from the ground up, Steamworks or Games for Windows Live. It seems the first wasn't an option, so it was one of the only two games in town.

February 28, 2010 6:20:03 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Steam is a way better than GFWL. GFWL is only supporting only 26 countries on the world and this is so stupid. I am not buying any GFWL enabled games.

February 28, 2010 6:21:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Steam is a way better than GFWL. GFWL is only supporting only 26 countries on the world and this is so stupid. I am not buying any GFWL enabled games.

February 28, 2010 10:51:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

After Demi I don't trust GPG anymore... Its a great game but the patch support !??!?! I mean thank you Stardock for trying but it seems as though GPG didn't deliver nearly as much as they should have.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.