The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Ubisoft is dropping PC DRM but....

By on January 26, 2010 3:41:12 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Yes, Ubisoft is dropping PC DRM but you must go online and log in to Ubisoft's servers to play the game, see the main menu, save and load the game. Their games will be like MMO games, you need to log in to play. It is so bad decision because there are huge of gamers who don't want to get online to play their games or don't have internet connection.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/52668/Ubisoft-Drops-PC-DRM-Takes-Everything-Online
+7 Karma | 107 Replies
March 12, 2010 7:38:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Nesrie,
Explain to me why you are completely ignoring the EA example. EA threw out some pretty crappy DRM on top of Spore, got a lot of flack for it, and then released Sims 3, (shortly after the event), followed by DA and ME2 all with simple disc checks and the options (it's still an option) to grab an online account and get more content for additional moneey. People voted with their wallets, were not silent about their rejection of DRM and guess what, EA is not using the OA plus limited install limit on their retail products anymore. This is a real life recent example that completely contradicts that article and what you say. I've not seen any metric that suggests DA and ME on PC was a failure or a loss for them. Do you have that data?

I don't think it was lack of sales that made them do that. I think they just didn't like the adverse publicity and the installs thing was not exactly a big thing for them. Unlimited vs 1 has NO effect on piracy, second hand sales or whatever they want to control. The DRM in general only annoys second hand customers, you can get more installs.

Ubi is in a different position. Its either Online or Not online. They can't 'tone it down' and if it works like they claim they probably wont.

Thats why I conveniently ignored your example.

Edit: And after rereading the last page, Im not even sure what we are aruging about anymore. My Psotion: Ubi seems to think their DRM works, its difficult to tone down without completly redoing the entire system (thats a guess btw). The reaction from the public probably can't change anything unless its apparent they would make money without the DRM. Which leaves 2 possiblitys:

1) They keep the DRM since they can't remove it, it 'works' (they say) and they can still sell lots of games

2) They make no money so they drop PC development altogether.

Lets not also forget that DRM costs money. Apparently SecuROM costs PER DISK SOLD. Large selling franchises are not a great place to put DRM unless its proven (and someone has done the numbers).

March 12, 2010 10:07:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How many good PC games has Ubisoft released?  I'm asking to find out if I will care whether or not Ubisoft drops the PC.

March 12, 2010 11:42:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SpardaSon21,
How many good PC games has Ubisoft released?  I'm asking to find out if I will care whether or not Ubisoft drops the PC.

All the tom clancy stuff

Prince of persia

Myst stuff

Brothers in arms

Farcry

IL-2

Beyond good and Evil

obiovusly Assassins Creed

and Silent Hunter

Anno 1404 (previous Annos were not Ubi)

Its quite a list.

I own 80% of those. It dosn't really matter though what the DID, as what they are DOING. And there is still quite a few I want to play (Almost everything they are doing is also console now - they could drop the PC in a heart beat if it wasnt for all the money they have already spent on it.)

March 12, 2010 11:58:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, I'll be honest and say that none of those games interest me.  So, I really couldn't give a crap if Ubsoft ditches PC, especially with the shit job they did on the RE4 port.

March 13, 2010 12:53:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Don't they also do the Settlers series?

March 13, 2010 1:22:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting MichaelCook,
Don't they also do the Settlers series?

Yes, unfortunately they do although that series hasn't done real great for a number of reasons.

March 14, 2010 10:49:14 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

What would happen if Ubisoft servers were down for any reason ?! We wouldn't be able to play their games !?! Just try to go to www.ubi.com.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Their website is down since yesterday...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000078   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.