The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

A new rook has risen

TEXTURE-mod

By on January 18, 2010 5:40:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Babylon Rook

How to use this TEXTURE-mod:
            o  Download this file: Rook_Albedo.dds   -> Version 1.21
            o  Go to ...Stardock Games/Demigod/bindata/characters/Rook
            o  replace the existing file with the downloaded
            o  start Demigod and enjoy a new rook

How to use this Texture as a UI-Mod:
            o  1. Download Babylon Rook file.  Rook_Albedo.dds   -> Version 1.21
            o  2. Locate this file: StardockGames/Demigod/Bindata/Characters/Rook
            o  3. Make a new map, called NewSkins. Locate the RookAlbedo file
                     thats in there too. Cut and paste it to NewSkins.
            o  4. Copy Babylon Rook to Newskins,
            o  5. Copy Babylon Rook  to .../Bindata/Characters/Rook

Voila, it works beautyfully and you can use it online.
( thx. to liefekatana for this UI-Mod )

Version 1.21
  Changes
            o  color-fix: now all elemtes are coloured
            o  ball is collored blue-green
            o  gloweffect effects added (feet, "neck", han ds, back-towers)
            o  file is compressed now (around 2mb instead of 20mb)

Texture Download: Rook_Albedo.dds
                    Gloweffect Download: Rook_SpecTeam.dds

+6 Karma | 54 Replies
January 18, 2010 6:08:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good idea, placing images on your protected site. Real bright.

January 18, 2010 6:14:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it is not protected! it is an open server (777)

January 18, 2010 6:15:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

He looks sick.

January 18, 2010 6:19:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i tried to give rook some kind of a babylon stile... 

like this: 

but while working on it, it started to become to colorful, but I decided to finish my first texture project on demigod and want to share it with others.

January 19, 2010 1:15:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

they r some pretty kool screen shot compositions of rook using his abilities. I especially like the second image down (boulder roll).

i like the colouring of the rook also, but i think the obelisk on his right shoulder needs to be golden aswell.

January 19, 2010 2:06:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thx, nice idea. I will try this!

January 19, 2010 2:14:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Whoa, rad.  I'll have to try this out.  But ya, your server is prompting for a username/password, your links are all like this:

http://[email protected]/Bilder/rook_06.gif

Internet Explorer no longer supports that format, and most other browsers pop up warning messages.  You should get rid of the "benjsch@" part which it looks like you put in by mistake, because it's not needed.

Edit your original post and fix all those links.

January 19, 2010 11:31:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

EPIC WIN.

Please make it an ui mod!

January 19, 2010 12:45:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thx ogham. I guess it is fixed now.

How can I make an UI mod?

January 19, 2010 3:11:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I love your craftsmanship here! well done! I would love to see that bluer deeper, abit darker, such as a marine blue, but I love this none the less, specially with rook being my fav so far!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

...now if I was to start changing rook's colors, how would I do this?

January 19, 2010 3:30:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No I actually like the Babylon color. I saw it IRL.

January 19, 2010 3:34:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i will remember the darker blue in my next update. at the moment I'm working at unclean beast.

changing rook's colors is hard work  because you have to change brick for brick. There are some tricks with masks and effects, but it still took me more then 10 hours. Especially because it is hard to say where every single part of the texture actually is on rook.

This is the texture file.  Change it with Photoshop for example, save it as .dds and thats it.

January 19, 2010 4:54:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice job! Though I guess it will first be useful when it is an UI mod

January 19, 2010 4:59:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great job!

January 20, 2010 8:56:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

UI mod please.  Is this possible, can some tech guru do this?

January 20, 2010 9:01:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think Ptarth said it was possible but very bothersome in his thread about his Sila mod.

January 20, 2010 9:06:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If someone tells me what to do, I'm perfectly willing to do the bothersome work.

EDIT: I'm not a good modder, but I think I've found what Ptarth means. 

EDIT 2: OH FUCK YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! I got it to work. Pretty easy.

1. Download Babylon Rook file.

2. Locate this file: StardockGames/Demigod/Bindata/Characters/Rook

3. Make a new map, called NewSkins. Locate the RookAlbedo file thats in there too. Cut and paste it to NewSkins.

4. Copy Babylon Rook to Newskins,

5. Copy Babylon Rook to StardockGames/Demigod/Bindata/Characters/Rook

Voila, it works beautyfully and you can use it online.

January 20, 2010 3:03:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i added it to my first post, so everybody can find it easily.

If there are ideas for changes, throw them all to me, I will try to give my best.

At the moment I am working on a Unclean beast, which will be more unlcean and soggy than dead  

January 20, 2010 4:25:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Bah. I lost my post so I have to retype it now. Please forgiven my bluntness.

re: Esuzu

You can't make a nonUI mod to use skins. You can however move files around to have the same effect. It is bothersome if you haven't copied and manipulated files, but to someone comfortable with the file system it is easy.

re: Lifekatana

Hmm, I thought my instructions were pretty clear (otherwise I would have changed them). What about them wasn't clear? I'd like to change them so they are very understandable and readable.

re: BenjaminR

Lifekatana's instructions are good enough if you have already used a skin replacement. If you haven't though, they aren't very clear. You might consider checking out my instructions in one of my skin threads. Furthermore, this isn't a UImod. It is a skin replacement. If you don't warn people they might overwrite their original rook files and be unable to put them back. This may make some people very unhappy.

re:Hosting Service

I tried to download your skin a couple of times and it was causing FireFox to crash. I'm not sure if it is the ads or what.

Initial Post's Rook Graphic

Very pretty. Very nice. Lots of good work. Why is it in 100x600 slices?

Rook_albedo.jpg

It is over 2 meg in size. You'll be better served by making it smaller. It uses up less bandwith and is easier to deal with. To see what is going on you don't need such a large image.

re: Rook Skin

Given my own work with skins, I know that it takes a troublesome amount of time to complete. Looking at how complicated the rook is and how nicely you recolored everything, I have no doubt that you spent 20 hours fixing it up. It looks very nice. Congratulations on your first skin.

re: Rook Skin File size

The file is uncompressed and too large (over 20 megs). For the base albedo.dds files GPG used BC1/DXT1 compression. I would suggest using it as well. It will shrink your file size by a factor of 10 (i.e., make it 2 meg).

re: Skin appearance

I tried out your skin (the 21 meg uncompressed version and a different compressed version). You want to be careful when it comes to areas that are covered by team color (see the *_specTeam.dds file). Those areas will be overwritten when Team Colors are on (default hotkey F12). Also, for some reason, the textures on my Rook in game weren't nearly as clear as the textures in your pictures. Any ideas why? I do have a relatively low tech graphics cards (256 megs, dx10 compatible, etc), but I wouldn't think it would be that bad. The following graphic displays both the team colors (compare left to right), and the skins (It is currently set to high visual settings).

January 20, 2010 4:41:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah you could probably use Ptarth instruction for the nontechsawy.

January 20, 2010 4:52:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

+1 Karma, cause I forgot before

January 20, 2010 5:22:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The blurry one made me think, how awesome would a solid gold rook be? Also, to mod dds files do you need photoshop? I can't seem to get into them in GIMP.

January 20, 2010 5:24:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great work man!!

January 20, 2010 5:31:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thx Ptarth for all your ideas and your compliments.

Honestly I have no Idea why rook is looking that different on your pc. I am playing with highest resolutions, effects...

I know that I have to change the specTeam. colors, and one side of the hammer is still grey instead of yellow. and I am going to try around with different compressions. when it is finished I will upload the file to another hoster.

do have others the same problem with rook? that he is not looking the same as on my screens?

ps: @splitshadows: You can use Gimp too, but you have to download kind of a plugin or so.

January 20, 2010 5:39:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for your quick response and great work on the mod!  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.