The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

What do I need to make my computer dual-boot for Vista?

By on January 15, 2010 8:24:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I know a lot of WC folks have their computers dual boot to a different operating system and I've been curious about whether I could get my computer to do that.  I have no idea how to even begin.  Right now I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop (model L505-S6959), that came with Vista, with the free upgrade to Win7 Home Premium, which I upgraded to.  Now I'm wondering if I could partition the hard drive and install Vista on the partition. 

Can anybody walk me through what I would need to do?

+704 Karma | 18 Replies
January 15, 2010 8:32:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

hey

you need to download a program that partitions your computer, like PartitionMagic, and divide your harddrive into two partitions.

then you just run the installation cd and install windows on the new partion you created - the one without the already installed windows

i think the partition program will select free space from your hard drive to create the new partion so you wont need to use a clean disk to create the partitions

also, read the partition program well and see if they issue any heads up and if what your about do to is not what u wanna do

that does it

and google information of creating a dual boot with the windows version you wanna use, there's usually comon problems other people have had and you can avoid

regards

January 15, 2010 8:52:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You can create partitions in the Disk Management module of Computer Management.  Rightclick on Computer, select Manage.  Then Disk Management. Rightclick on the drive you want to setup for dual boot and then select Shrink Volume.  Decide how big in MB you want the second partition and follow the prompts.  Once the partition is created, you should format it.  Then, just put your install disk in and follow the directions, making sure you put the new OS on the new partition. What you will want to download is a program called EasyBCD for afterwards.  It helps in naming the partitions, managing which one is the default and such.  Dual booting is real easy and a must for any serious skinner.  Good luck.

January 15, 2010 9:08:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thank you, messiah1, and myNewAddiction.  I guess now I need to figure out how to format the partition. 

I was going to wait until I move and end up closer to the computer geniuses in the family (Kansas/Oklahoma), but my moving plans keep getting pushed further in the future, so I'm growing impatient and might get brave enough to try it myself if the instructions are easy enough and I can muster the courage to try it.

January 15, 2010 9:15:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Some good info here - Dual Boot

January 15, 2010 9:25:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thank you, Hankers.  I've bookmarked it....next day off of work, I think I'll try it.

January 15, 2010 10:08:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I guess now I need to figure out how to format the partition

Once it's created, rightclick and select format.

January 15, 2010 10:32:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting messiah1,

So you're saying this isn't as complicated as learning to use SKS7 for creating Windowblinds.

January 15, 2010 10:47:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting messiah1,
You can create partitions in the Disk Management module of Computer Management.

nice.

January 15, 2010 11:21:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So you're saying this isn't as complicated as learning to use SKS7 for creating Windowblinds.

Not even close.

January 15, 2010 11:38:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting messiah1,

Also keep in mind that you have to choose 'NTSC' formatting as the new OS can only be installed on the primary disk drive and 'FAT' format creates a logical partition, though you can create another partition as 'logical" for your stuff if you have a large hdd

January 16, 2010 12:05:20 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

NTSC?

What world do you live in, where you use a video standard in place of a hard drive file system?

NTFS    

January 16, 2010 12:29:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

NTSC?

What world do you live in, where you use a video standard in place of a hard drive file system?

Haven't you heard?  NTSC is the new file system for HDD formatting... "No Terrifying System Crashes".

January 16, 2010 12:49:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

YEAH!!  I DID IT!!  I'm still going to have to play around with it on my next day off, because for some reason, the Vista boot doesn't seem recognize that its connected to the internet (says something about not detecting hardware), but it's on there!  Thanks to everybody for all your help!  You're the best!!

January 16, 2010 6:44:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

My question is why would you bother dual booting Windows 7 and Vista.  There are fairly similar OS.  IMHO it would have made more sense to dual boot with Linux.

January 16, 2010 7:42:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting GhoS,
My question is why would you bother dual booting Windows 7 and Vista.  There are fairly similar OS.  IMHO it would have made more sense to dual boot with Linux.

Because I create Windowblind skins and upload them here, and need to make sure they look good on all operating systems, so they don't get low rankings.

January 16, 2010 7:54:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting GhoS,

I had the same issue when I reformatted my old pc (dual boot for vista and xp) for wolfee, , so i had to go back into xp and download what it needed and then log back into vista and retrieve the file, installed and wahlahhh

*i believe mine were drives from intel**

January 16, 2010 8:22:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Vampothika,

I had the same issue when I reformatted my old pc (dual boot for vista and xp) for wolfee, , so i had to go back into xp and download what it needed and then log back into vista and retrieve the file, installed and wahlahhh

*i believe mine were drives from intel**

I got 'er working in the wee morning hours -- it was drivers.  Pretty painless to fix.  I'm exhausted today, though...I just can't rest when I have some computer issue I'm dealing with, and when I finally get to bed, the sun has already come up!  Thanks goodness my son brought home a 4-pack of Rockstar Energy Drink from work yesterday!

January 16, 2010 10:33:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

YEAH!! I DID IT!!

I knew you could do it!  If you can get under the hood of SkinStudio with a wrench and fine tune WB's, you can set up a dual boot and format drives, etc.

.I just can't rest when I have some computer issue I'm dealing with, and when I finally get to bed, the sun has already come up!

I'm like that!  It's a bit like the old saying: "Never go to bed/sleep on a fight (argument)".  They're not exactly nightmares, but I dream dreams about the problem at hand, all the things that could go wrong, and toss and turn all night.   Hence I stay up and fix it... and often I get so engrossed the sun has come up before I realise it.

Anyhow, glad to see you got it sorted.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.