The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Let's talk Occ

By on January 13, 2010 5:28:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Here are my first thoughts on Occulus:

Chain lightning is sweet.

Blast Off is also sweet.

What the heck do the poke-balls do? Can I catch-em-all? Put them on my Christmas tree? They only seem good at level 15.

Brain Storm does not remove negative effects as it is supposed to. When it does, I think Reg will have received another nerf.  Will also remove stuns?

I'm not sure about the passive abilities. At max rank, the lightning aura provides a 10% chance to deal 100 damage. The expected value of that is 10 more damage each hit. Ten DPS is nothing for three whole skill points.\

No stuns or interrupts automatically put him on the Tier 2 list, in my opinion.

Any thoughts?

+38 Karma | 76 Replies
January 13, 2010 5:31:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, Heal III used to remove stuns (except Foul Grasp), however since the Interrupt-fix that 1.2 had it no longer does ;;

January 13, 2010 5:45:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pokeballs seem to have a sick DPS. And Chain + Blast is completely and utterly imba. I'm guessing that Blast will be nerfed for less damage, cheaper, longer recharge, and Chain will do less when it branches.

January 13, 2010 5:47:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pokeballs have sick DPS? I must not be doing something right, because they don't do squat when I use them. I think I can have 4 summoned at a time.

Occulus needs to have powerful combos, because he can't stun, and he can't interrupt.

January 13, 2010 6:18:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Go and send them alone against a tower and see how fast the towers' HP is going down.

January 13, 2010 6:22:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Occulus also has an amazing hp stack. I get to 6k way to quickly.

January 13, 2010 6:35:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Brain Storm does not remove negative effects as it is supposed to.

My 1 negative comment knowing we probably won't get a fix for this for quite some time:  there really wasn't that much to TEST on this release outside of SD's DLC.  I'm hopeful tb's fire aa/move fix is in there, but haven't had a chance to TEST that yet.  There were a total of 7 changes... guessing testing Oculus alone would take 30 minutes to an hour.

January 13, 2010 6:36:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is it just me or he is the worst chaser ever (not considering blast off)? I can't seem to trigger AA while chasing, he attacks anything else but the target, just like QoT....

January 13, 2010 6:49:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Are you guys kidding?  Occ is the new tier 1... early game at least.  Late game he becomes way more overpowered than LE was before bite got nerfed.

The effect of Brainstorm is for his level 15 skill and it works, anything else would be even more overpowered than it already is.

Level 15 means 1200 AOE for lighning balls every 5 seconds... in addition to blast off and chain lightning.

Simply spec CL, BOff, BStorm till level 10, then Ball Lightning through level 15 where you go from "obscene" AOE damage to "dear god, what were they thinking" AOE damage.

He HP stacks well, so Blood and Monks early game, Vlemish + Magus Rod + Brain Storm for neverending mana and AOE farming mid-late game, then hit level 15 first and game over.

Thunderdamus predicts in 2 days, you will see the lobby full of "NO OCC!" titled games...

January 13, 2010 6:56:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Archon_Saar,
Is it just me or he is the worst chaser ever (not considering blast off)? I can't seem to trigger AA while chasing, he attacks anything else but the target, just like QoT....
same problem

January 13, 2010 7:23:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Thundercles,
Are you guys kidding?  Occ is the new tier 1... early game at least.  Late game he becomes way more overpowered than LE was before bite got nerfed.

The effect of Brainstorm is for his level 15 skill and it works, anything else would be even more overpowered than it already is.

Level 15 means 1200 AOE for lighning balls every 5 seconds... in addition to blast off and chain lightning.

Simply spec CL, BOff, BStorm till level 10, then Ball Lightning through level 15 where you go from "obscene" AOE damage to "dear god, what were they thinking" AOE damage.

He HP stacks well, so Blood and Monks early game, Vlemish + Magus Rod + Brain Storm for neverending mana and AOE farming mid-late game, then hit level 15 first and game over.

Thunderdamus predicts in 2 days, you will see the lobby full of "NO OCC!" titled games...

I just used him in a game against AI with skirmish mod.... He really seems no different from when we had to mod him. But Iwill have to play a few more games with him, and try a few different builds.

January 13, 2010 7:25:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Cowbuttzex,
Occulus also has an amazing hp stack. I get to 6k way to quickly.
What is your effing health stack now!

January 13, 2010 7:38:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why the hell does Occulus not remove negative effects till 15. Occulus is a pretty bad god, considering that he really takes off at 15 isn't saying much considering how most games have been determined by then. Did anyone at Stardock or GPG even test Occulus out before putting him out?

With no stun, interrupt or real chasing ability he is going to be awkward to use. He is only going to be a real good farmer. I'd only use Occulus against sedna's really. He's like a minion based Ice tb.

January 13, 2010 7:40:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ball Lightnings had a health boost from: 600/650/700/750 to 600/765/930/1095.

January 13, 2010 7:47:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ptarth,
What about the explosions?

January 13, 2010 8:01:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A minion based Ice TB... that can out health stack anyone but UB... with a blink AOE attack... with far greater AOE burst damage... with superior level 15 skills...

Oh and sorry, my math was off:  1600 damage from ball lightnings every 5 seconds.

January 13, 2010 8:13:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Thundercles,
A minion based Ice TB... that can out health stack anyone but UB... with a blink AOE attack... with far greater AOE burst damage... with superior level 15 skills...

Oh and sorry, my math was off:  1600 damage from ball lightnings every 5 seconds.
So what items are you using again?

January 13, 2010 8:18:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Against AI on Hard I'm using Blood, Scaled Helm with TP start, getting banded and.. then I see how it goes...

January 13, 2010 8:25:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Am I the only person here who is a mage at heart, and  try to go a balance of mana and hp with him...

January 13, 2010 8:27:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting synnworld,
Am I the only person here who is a mage at heart, and  try to go a balance of mana and hp with him...
get vlemish and use surge every time its off cd??

January 13, 2010 8:30:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Am I the only person here who is a mage at heart, and try to go a balance of mana and hp with him...

yes, you are also one of the only people who swear by qot.... crazy

January 13, 2010 8:31:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Synn, you can use Magus Rod instead of Battlecrown alonside Vlemish.  You can spam your nukes during the Magus Rod's effect, and between fights you Brain Storm under Magus Rod's effect so you got plenty of mana.

Even before you get the Rod, Brain Storms's net gain of 175 mana every 16 seconds is pretty nice... once you get BS II and the Rod, your mana trouble is over even if you're dealing almost non-stop lightningy death.  You don't need speed since the dude can tank and has blast off to get away or chase, so just get vlemish and the rest is HP stacking.

January 13, 2010 8:37:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Shiro_Sol,

Quoting synnworld, reply 18Am I the only person here who is a mage at heart, and  try to go a balance of mana and hp with him...
get vlemish and use surge every time its off cd??
the net outcome of that....wait nevermind it might have been changed.

Quoting Maccilia,

Am I the only person here who is a mage at heart, and try to go a balance of mana and hp with him...
yes, you are also one of the only people who swear by qot.... crazy

Don't disrespect the goddess all mighty or I will have to uproot you

Quoting Thundercles,
Synn, you can use Magus Rod instead of Battlecrown alonside Vlemish.  You can spam your nukes during the Magus Rod's effect, and between fights you Brain Storm under Magus Rod's effect so you got plenty of mana.

Even before you get the Rod, Brain Storms's net gain of 175 mana every 16 seconds is pretty nice... once you get BS II and the Rod, your mana trouble is over even if you're dealing almost non-stop lightningy death.  You don't need speed since the dude can tank and has blast off to get away or chase, so just get vlemish and the rest is HP stacking.

Quoting Thundercles,

I never once got battle crown....with anyone....

January 13, 2010 9:02:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting synnworld,

Ptarth

What about the explosions?

There was no change in AOE damage to my knowledge. However, someone else is free to check this themselves.

January 13, 2010 9:05:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You, a dedicated QoT player... never once bought a Plenor Battlecrown?!

Are you being serious?

January 13, 2010 9:06:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Neither did I. Scaled and Vlemish is all you'll ever really need.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.