The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

EVE Online

Is it worth the money?

By on January 11, 2010 6:27:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

So, I have been playing my trial for EVE Online for the past 2 days. I have to say, it is (so far) pretty cool. I like how you can lock onto multiple ships, thus allowing you to engage multiple enemies simultaneously. I also like how the ammo loading system is set up.

What I would like to know, especially as if EVE continues to impress me very much I have very grandiose (like, take over the gameworld grandiose (crap! how do you make the digicon w/ the tongue hanging out!)) plans for it.

But what I really want to know is: is it worth paying $15 a month, every month, to play.

+58 Karma | 40 Replies
January 11, 2010 6:46:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

that would be a : P

also I think its been calculated that doing all the training and education training will decrease the total time needed for full training in all things to about 3.5yrs. that said, and this comes from someone who has only played the trial time, if you want to get into it find what you like doing and specialize in it and the related training, and find a good corporation that will be willing to help you out.

January 11, 2010 7:17:49 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

hmm, who needs to find a good corporation when I intend to control 3. : P

buwahahahahahahahaha!

January 11, 2010 8:17:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Actually you can play EVE and pay the monthly subscription with ingame money. Looks up Pilot License Extension (PLEX) on the ingame market

January 11, 2010 8:37:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's worth, but always expect the worst to happen to you and you'll be safer: you'll be scammed, camped, cheated, backstabbed,... Unless you do it first

January 11, 2010 9:31:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Annatar- about how much do these PLEX items cost on the in-game market? I had a character and was going to create 2 more, but I am unsatisfied with the results at present and am scrapping all 3 to start over.

January 11, 2010 11:57:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

270 million currently in the Kor-Azor region (the only place in Empire space where I have an alt atm) for 30 days of game time. It's a bit intimidating of a number to start, however after a month or two of training up it's a possible amount to reach with modest playtime and gets easier. I've had my char for a while, but currently I can easily make 40-50m/hour without breaking a sweat (and not mining, either).

January 12, 2010 12:24:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well I say that neat. Thats the only game I know off where you can use ingame items to pay for your subsription.

January 12, 2010 12:38:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

EVE is a weird game. I tried it for a month when it was released, liked the depth and cerebral focus, but got a big dose of that "$15/mo screensaver" feeling and quit. Tried it again a year later, even joined a friend's corp this time, but the same thing happened after a while.

I keep being tempted to go back, though. The flying part could be better, but the market stuff is insane. I liked how every ship and piece of equipment on the server was actually made by someone. It made me want to become an arms dealer and grab blueprints for everything, eventually becoming the mysterious guy that could get you anything for the right price.

I've been thinking of checking it out again, but I really can't afford a MMO subscription right now. I could try funding it entirely through PLEX, but I doubt a semi-newbie with only a Procurer and a Catalyst could reliably afford them. (at least without turning it into a second job)

Maybe I should just use the free 5-day reactivation thing they've offered me to queue up every skill I own and then cancel so at least I'll have everything trained by the time I can afford it.

EDIT: Stop posting while I'm looking things up!

How much playtime is "modest"? Going by your numbers, it should take you about 6 hours to earn a month of playtime, which isn't that bad. How long did it take you to get to that point, though? I certainly wasn't making anywhere near that the last time I played. (mining omber and occasionally ratting/missions in empire space)

January 12, 2010 5:49:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jalicos,
How much playtime is "modest"? Going by your numbers, it should take you about 6 hours to earn a month of playtime, which isn't that bad. How long did it take you to get to that point, though? I certainly wasn't making anywhere near that the last time I played. (mining omber and occasionally ratting/missions in empire space)

You won't do that number mining (not even in 0.0) or ratting (unless you have a lot of luck with spawns in 0.0). So probably running missions (I think it's impossible too, unless they have changed a lot, but long time since I last run one) or more probably something related to the Tech 2 market (research, BPOs,...).

January 12, 2010 7:40:35 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

EVE sucks. I paid for one month before the novelty wore off, and realised that if it weren't for the multiplayer it would be strictly inferior to Elite - a game which came out more than quarter of a century ago. Sure the graphics are pretty, but its a simple point and click game in which you juggle numbers, a bit like Excel in space. I heard that someone is working on a multiplayer game where you actually get to fly the ships manually, but I don't know the name offhand. Maybe one day there will be a decent space-mmo to replace this overrated "game".

January 12, 2010 8:10:54 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Eve online is a great game if you got a lot of time for it, I guess, as with most if not all MMOs.

Ah it comes close to the kind of game I would like, too bad I can never be able to claim a solar system to myself alone =D
There is a lot to read and calculate, if you like that =/ The battle system is okay, visually I like missiles the most, but it is far from perfect I guess =/ I find a canon and other stuff might not be accurate when close range, but it should still be able to hit... So in that point it needs to be changed into more like shooters =S

So to be able to play and earn gametime with ingame currency, you need to do a lot, and being "forced" to do certain things is not always fun...

January 12, 2010 8:35:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

well, with my last char (that I am going to rebuild from scratch as my current setup is undesirable I have found), I was able to earn a good 600,000 ISK. Where I was a PLEX cost only 400,000 ISK.

So far though, I am liking it quite a bit. Certainly something that will keep me coming back, and something I can set myself goals for (like, long-term=get ship a, short-term=make 5mil ISK, mid-term=get skill x/y/z, weapon j

January 12, 2010 9:48:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You won't do that number mining (not even in 0.0) or ratting (unless you have a lot of luck with spawns in 0.0). So probably running missions (I think it's impossible too, unless they have changed a lot, but long time since I last run one) or more probably something related to the Tech 2 market (research, BPOs,...).

Ratting in Delve. The number may be a bit lower, I tried to average in salvage sales. The Bloods drop tons of cap consoles which I can quickly ferry back to Empire and sell for a lot of money. I use an Ishtar with a rack of T2 Ogres that chew through Blood BS like it's tissue paper. It works out great since I don't actually waste any time salvaging as I can do it while the drones/guns are chewing through the next BS. Selling the salvage at 0.0 prices there will probably drop it to 30-35m/hour though.

There are days when it's hard to get a good chain going, and I don't like ratting in a BS to do anomalies in our post-Dominion upgraded systems.

Modest means a couple hours a day on most days. I'm no miner so I can't tell you much about that, but once you get into a decently fit battleship capable of running level 4 missions, some of them can give you up to 20 million in bounties alone. If you loot > reprocess > sell ore and also salvage the wrecks, the number goes up quickly. (As a tip, bookmark all the mission 'rooms' if you're in a multi-room deadspace complex for it, then go turn it in once you're done. When you warp back in to your bookmarks the wrecks will be there but it will no longer be in deadspace so you can use microwarp drives freely Works great for a dedicated salvage ship). The more time you spend training up your skills for your battleship to do more damage, the shorter each mission will take, bumping up your average earning/hour

January 12, 2010 10:06:10 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Annatar- what is your current char&system?

(and why do you have less karma on the Impulse forums? hmm, maybe I should fix that for you....)

January 12, 2010 10:08:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

My current char is Se'len, and I live in Delve (0.0 space). I don't go to Empire unless I'm buying skill books or selling salvage

January 12, 2010 10:12:29 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

thanks, I'll make note of that.

January 12, 2010 11:46:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is there a game with a single player experience like EVE?

January 12, 2010 12:08:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The closest you can get is X3/X3:Terran Conflict (if you're just starting that, I'd recommend you go for Terran Conflict right away. It's basically X3 with more content and UI polish).

January 12, 2010 1:36:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Annatar11,

Ratting in Delve. The number may be a bit lower, I tried to average in salvage sales. The Bloods drop tons of cap consoles which I can quickly ferry back to Empire and sell for a lot of money. I use an Ishtar with a rack of T2 Ogres that chew through Blood BS like it's tissue paper. It works out great since I don't actually waste any time salvaging as I can do it while the drones/guns are chewing through the next BS. Selling the salvage at 0.0 prices there will probably drop it to 30-35m/hour though.

Well, Delve rats are probably the best in the game, but not everyone is going to be able to rat there. And less now if AAA continues harassing GS and IT start the Delve invasion after taking Fountain from PL...

January 12, 2010 1:50:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

True of course, but the point I was trying to make is that the money for the PLEX becomes a much more manageable number as you gain skills and are able to do things better and faster. Even if it takes 20-30 hours to earn, 30 hours in a month's time is comparatively almost nothing

January 12, 2010 2:54:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I played EVE for years and I just kinda suspended it for a while now, mostly due to RL. In my experience, EVE is a good pasttime when you actually WANT to kill time, but not a game you can use well to relax. If you already have a stressful job life and all, this game probably will not work for you.

This is because the game rewards you most for playing it as though it was a job, you are best off if you calculate everything, if you can be present whenever you're needed, and you need to do various boring things. Once you and/or your allies get to a later stage of the game, your corporation will be running space stations, selling outlets, ship production... all of which involve logistics, buying/selling and defense efforts.

Of course, you can also focus on less competitive vs NPC areas of the game, but honestly, these are very repetitive. and no challenge at all. They can only be fun as long as you do them with people you enjoy hanging out with.

Summary, EVE is quite good if you have a lot of time you can spend on it. With little time, its probably more tiresome than fun.

By the way, since you're new, the easiest and surest way for a new character was still to aim for high level missions in safe space (and stick with the SAFE space, in particular these few unsafe systems you may need to cross for missions are the ones where you'll get killed by players). Basically, you immediately aim for lv3 missions with a battlecruiser and then proceed to lv4 once your battleship skills suffice for guns or drones plus some tanking. It only takes about 2-3 weeks of skilling and a few dozen hours in game to get to lv4s.

I can also only recommend you to find a corp very early. The equipment you may need is frequently random spare parts to them (free), the knowledge people posess really helps you in the game, and having some company in space makes the game way more entertaining and varied than it is solo.

January 12, 2010 10:00:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you want single player Eve yes X3/X3:Terran Conflict is the choice!

For Eve, join a good corporation or join militia.

January 12, 2010 10:06:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

or make your own, hehehehehehehehehe. BTW Annatar, my nick is "Markus Valco". Right now unsure of system (didn't pay attention), but I'm in Minmatar 1.0 space. Not particularly fun. Too much security.

January 13, 2010 5:25:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There are good corps for newbies like "Eve University". Also, if you want to learn about PvP, you can try to join "Red" or "Blue" corporations or take a PvP class from "Agony Unleashed" (I think it was them, not sure). If you want to be a pirate you can join many of the pirate corps out there (like "Privateers").

January 13, 2010 4:44:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This is by far the best game I have played, though don't play now due to RL commitments. For those thinking about joining, here is a brief chronological list of what I did:

My first character:

Created as an Industrialist and Miner.

Joined a small corp ( 6 players) and mined and did low level missions.

This became boring so started trading and buying shares in other player controlled companies

Lost 300 million isk in an investment scam along with many others - thanks Riethe

Became damned good in trading and soon made my first billion isk.

Second charachter created as a dedicated mission runner. Paid for by my trading genius 1st charachter.

Skilled to fly Gallente BSs - I do miss those drones at max skill

3rd charachter created as a pirate and snook into Eve University as a newbie

He was on the dark side and stole/scammed other players.

The PvP in Eve is the best experience of any game.

Created a Company with my 1st two characters and built our own space station.

When I left/suspended my 3 characters after approx 15 months of play, I had a successful corp with approx 10 players and earning about 1 billion a week. Nothing compared to the big guys in the game but it wa fun.

Had to leave as it was taking over all my spare time.

I never touched:

Manufacturing - i had other players doing that

BPO research - again others did that

Invention - next on the list if stayed but others in the corp were doing this

Tons of other stuff which I have forgotten.

So you can see how diverse this game is and is open to all types of game players.

I do believe it is open to the more mature player as the learning curve is very steep. Keeps the low life away though

Zinq

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000734   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.