The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[BUGFIX] Qot Attack Animation

By on December 26, 2009 3:42:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The Bug

The QoT's root (basic) attack has an animation error. When the root attack hits the target, it then recoils into the ground. However, instead of disappearing after receding into the ground it continues to lower, leading to the root "dropping" off of the bottom of some maps. This can be seen in the following pictures, notice the root circled in red.

After some digging I found the solution. It involves reducing the length of time the after hit effects last. It is much more visibly appealing, nor does it sacrifice much of the visual appeal of the attack.

How to Fix it

To impliment this fix two changes in HQueen_Script.lua are required.

These are lines 83 & 132 on my version.

local proj = self.unit:CreateProjectile('/projectiles/HQueenSpike01/HQueenSpike01_proj.bp', dist[1], 0, dist[3], direction[1], direction[2], direction[3]):SetLifetime(1)

should be changed to

local proj = self.unit:CreateProjectile('/projectiles/HQueenSpike01/HQueenSpike01_proj.bp', dist[1], 0, dist[3], direction[1], direction[2], direction[3]):SetLifetime(.25)

What the fix does:

This fix reduces the duration of the post hit animation. The animation places the root project at the target location and then drops it below the surface. The first problem is that this animation is too long resulting in seeing the root drop below the bottom of the structure the demigods are fighting on. This is fixed by reducing the projectile lifetime to below 400ms. The actual value depends upon the speed of the animation (which is related to projectile speed defined in HQueen_unit.bp, at least it seems that way) and the length of the root object. A value of around 400 ms is about right. The second problem is that the root projectile is too long for some maps (i.e., Cataract). Even if the projectile animation ceases immediately after going below ground, the bottom of the root can still be seen poking out of the bottom of the map, this requires a more extreme reduction in projectile duration to approximately 250 ms. The unfortunate side effect of this reduction is that this means the root will dissappear before it goes entirely below ground. However, the difference in animation is roughly 150 ms and is difficult to observe even if you are aware of the flaw and fully zoomed in.

+89 Karma | 7 Replies
December 26, 2009 3:57:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sweet, thanks

It was kinda goofy but I didnt think it effected gameplay, nice find

December 26, 2009 4:42:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It doesn't effect game play. It just annoyed me that every time the QoT it looks like she is vomiting (or another type of purging activity).

December 26, 2009 4:47:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh, I guess I read wrong. I thought you said it effected her after the attack. I kinda assumed it ment she couldnt do abilities for a real short time after.

But we all know what assuming does!

December 26, 2009 11:34:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Does this mess up her sweet spot attack?

Where she is at the edge of her attack range and will hit a fleeing DG once every 1/2 second?

December 27, 2009 3:55:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've not tested it. I wouldn't think so. However, I'd also suggest that the sweet-spot behavior is a bug and should be removed anyway.

December 28, 2009 11:53:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ptarth,
I've not tested it. I wouldn't think so. However, I'd also suggest that the sweet-spot behavior is a bug and should be removed anyway.

Yes But considering how bad QoT is, it is currently a fitting punishment if you need to run away from her.

January 24, 2010 2:29:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've added this bugfix to a combined bugfix. Please stop bumping this thread and instead help out with fixing and advocating new bugs. Please visit this thread for the new project.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000109   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.