The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

sporadically cannot connect to NAT

By on December 13, 2009 2:19:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

HorseStrangler

Join Date 05/2009
+37

Hi. As you can tell from my idiotic amount of games played, the majority of the time I have very few connection issues. However, sporadically I will simply lose connection to NAT and be unable to reconnect for a variable amount of time, generally 5-60 minutes.

I've had it happen mid-game, on my end it looks like everyone else has lost connection, I've had it happen in lobbies, but there hasn't been an overt enough trigger for me to notice any consistent factors.

So has anyone had this issue, and if not, do the SD/GPG guys have any idea where I should start troubleshooting?

Locked Post 8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 14, 2009 10:00:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, I get it on the weekends mainly. It seems I lose connection because out of nowhere I drop a game with good pings to everyone.

When I try to play a new game I get the "Cannot connect to NAT facilitator, please try again later" message. Sometimes its 20 minutes, sometimes its 2 hours before it starts working again.

December 15, 2009 3:46:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I dont think you loose connection to your NAT rather your NAT fails or your internet connection just cuts out.

There could be more than one in demigod connections (i dont know too much about this stuff) but only NAT i can think of is in your  and other players router (there could even be two on your side if you are realy unlucky), try updating your firmware. Cabel connections (as aposed to ADSL) could be different but but NAT (or NAT rules) is what you configure to portfoward. Unless there is another place it exsits not being able to connect to your NAT is entrirely your fault (i think you are mis dionosing the error).

I would think not being able to connect to a NAT facilitator would simply mean your internet connection/ISP is not working as it should not some complex problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation

Dont think that a NAT acutally physically exsists (its not somthing that you can tenically connect to) its just a bunch of protocols that happend in your router (though there may be a demigod server where there is also a nat).

Edit: you dont need a proxy or 'NAT' connection to connection in demigod do you? (im pretty shure you dont)

Edit 2: you shure its not a DCHP (think thats the accrnum) server (assigns static IPs on your side of the router) dont fail under weekend useage? (this was my problem though it happend a little more often than sporadiacally)

December 15, 2009 8:21:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There is a NAT facilitator on Star Dock's side for those of us who do not want to open a hole in our firewall for DG.

December 16, 2009 4:38:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi. As you can tell from my idiotic amount of games played, the majority of the time I have very few connection issues. However, sporadically I will simply lose connection to NAT and be unable to reconnect for a variable amount of time, generally 5-60 minutes.

I've had it happen mid-game, on my end it looks like everyone else has lost connection, I've had it happen in lobbies, but there hasn't been an overt enough trigger for me to notice any consistent factors.

So has anyone had this issue, and if not, do the SD/GPG guys have any idea where I should start troubleshooting?
What type of router or modem do you have? Basically this can happen if your router's memory is limited and the connection count goes too high and/or if the router does not clear out old connections.

December 16, 2009 12:53:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hrmm... next time it happens I will reset my router.

If it connects right after, then we know the problem is not with the NAT facilitator. 

December 17, 2009 4:09:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm on a Juniper so I can double check, but it shouldn't be any limitations of the router/firewall that's an issue.

December 24, 2009 10:23:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OK, I had it again just now.

I did it three times in a row to make sure it is happening consistently.

I reset the router, still the same problem.

I am guessing the NAT facilitator I need is down on Stardock's side.

December 24, 2009 10:29:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Stardock servers are down. Keep attempting to host to hopefully create a velocity error so that the people who can fix it get paged and drive to work to fix it on XMas ^^;

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000094   Page Render Time: