The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Really sick of waiting on pantheon games

By on November 24, 2009 11:47:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If anyone else out there has been wathcing opengames.asp, they will most likely have seen something like this over and over and over again:

Pantheon Queue

Rest of the World Forces of Darkness MAIN.1.20.0211 4

The problem is that this is actually one of the better moments. I've routinely seen 8-0, 9-1, etc.

What really worries me about this is that the system used to resolve this by adding AIs to the matches. Some people might quit when they encountered AIs, but a fair amount seemed to play them out, which would thin out the side with too many queueing. That worries me becuase I'm afraid SD will see the trend and go back to it rather than just allowing dark players (and light) to fight each other.

Can we please get some real games going? With the Demon Assassin out it's gotten worse, but it's been ridiculously difficult to get a game going as dark since Friday for some reason.

+37 Karma | 27 Replies
November 24, 2009 11:53:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

JOIN LIGHT SIDE NEXT PANTHEON.  It's a functional solution.  If you do that, you will get games going reasonably quick.  That's what I'll be doing. 

November 24, 2009 12:02:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,
JOIN LIGHT SIDE NEXT PANTHEON.  It's a functional solution.  If you do that, you will get games going reasonably quick.  That's what I'll be doing. 

Thats what i did this time, from the beginning of the new pantheon its so great to play it now ^^.
Most of the time i dont even have to wait. I join pantehon and some seconds later i get a game.

Ye i had to take a new demigod for it, but now im better at light demis also

November 24, 2009 12:13:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you were going to guess which side would have the longest queue, the best bet would be going with whichever one has fewer DGs, but lo and behold:

Ancitipating which side is going to have a shorter queue time is NOT a functional solution, it's a damn coin flip. How many OTHER PEOPLE are sick of waiting? How many of them are going to go light to avoid the wait times?

The correct solution is simple. Remove the light/dark distinction. The burden of fixing queue times is not the player's to bear.

November 24, 2009 12:25:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting obscenitor,
If you were going to guess which side would have the longest queue, the best bet would be going with whichever one has fewer DGs, but lo and behold:

Ancitipating which side is going to have a shorter queue time is NOT a functional solution, it's a damn coin flip. How many OTHER PEOPLE are sick of waiting? How many of them are going to go light to avoid the wait times?

The correct solution is simple. Remove the light/dark distinction. The burden of fixing queue times is not the player's to bear.

THIS

November 24, 2009 1:16:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting obscenitor,

/signed

November 24, 2009 1:22:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,
As obscenitor points out, there are actually more light side Demigods than there are dark side Demigods in the current Pantheon tournament.

The best solution would be to bring back skirmish and scrap pantheon.

November 24, 2009 1:45:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,

Not true the 1 v 1 isn't happening waited almost a half hour for 2nd light player last night when it was 9 dark 1 light

November 24, 2009 1:46:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky__,

Quoting pacov,
reply 1
JOIN LIGHT SIDE NEXT PANTHEON.  It's a functional solution.  If you do that, you will get games going reasonably quick.  That's what I'll be doing. As obscenitor points out, there are actually more light side Demigods than there are dark side Demigods in the current Pantheon tournament.

I vote this

November 24, 2009 1:49:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky__,
Lemme play devil's advocate here. I don't believe all of these are compelling, but I do believe these are the likely reasons why your suggestion hasn't been implemented:

• The mini-tournaments are fun and there are a lot of players who enjoy them
  • The demigods have a light/dark theme which the Pantheon highlights
  • A UI change would need to be implemented to remove pantheon and bring back Skirmish
  • Another UI change would need to be made to add Occulus and DA to the Skirmish list
  • A standing portrait of DA/Occulus would need to be made (recall how Skirmish looked before)
  • Skirmish wasn't popular and the's no guarantee players would use it
  • The Pantheon website would need a significant change
  • Many players just like Pantheon in general and you'd risk disenfranchising them

Again, I don't necessarily find all those compelling, but those are likely the reasons why it hasn't been changed.

What I would really like to see happen is for them to just allow light/dark to fight against each other and for players to earn points for their team, like a sort of fantasy football type approach. So say a side with UB/Oak/DA beats Rook/Regulus/Sedna, and respectively they get 190/75/125 and 40/40/90, then light would get 75+40+40+90, and dark would get 190+125.

Now that might not be as compelling to some people who really like the light vs. dark setup as-is, but I think that the problems it would fix outweigh the severity of the issues it would raise, and personally I think it would be fun to try to have an ulterior motive to get more kills, assists, citadel upgrades, etc. so that you beat that dark/light player on your team and contribute more to your side's pool.

But the main reason why I keep repeating this suggestion is that I *think* it can be done completely on the backend by Stardock without requesting UI changes or assistance beyond a green light from GPG.

November 24, 2009 2:00:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just want games if your suggestion is a stardock easy change then great waiting 15 minutes for a game that last 15 minutes gets annoying

November 24, 2009 2:05:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting HorseRadish,
I just want games if your suggestion is a stardock easy change then great waiting 15 minutes for a game that last 15 minutes gets annoying
Same. Lemme clarify that I wouldn't be opposed to swapping to Skirmish either if it could be done quickly, I just get the feeling it couldn't.

November 24, 2009 2:38:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@obscenitor: yes, I realize that exchanging Pantheon for Skirmish includes a lot of effort.

What I would really like to see happen is for them to just allow light/dark to fight against each other and for players to earn points for their team, like a sort of fantasy football type approach. So say a side with UB/Oak/DA beats Rook/Regulus/Sedna, and respectively they get 190/75/125 and 40/40/90, then light would get 75+40+40+90, and dark would get 190+125.
This would probably the best compromise. No change in Demigod would be necessary, all the changes would have to be made on Stardock's servers.

November 24, 2009 2:46:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

// egads!

November 24, 2009 2:48:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

// egads!

November 24, 2009 2:52:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Btw. I am also tracking the Pantheon queues independently now:

November 24, 2009 2:57:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If only we had a graph of this last weekend, that's when it was really bad. Relatively speaking, today's actually been quite decent.

Btw. have you considered trackign queues independently?

November 24, 2009 3:34:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ancitipating which side is going to have a shorter queue time is NOT a functional solution, it's a damn coin flip

Not really a coin flip this time.  Most active players will be on dark.  DA almost guarantees that this time around.  It's not a DESIRABLE solution, but its one that will work for now.  No need to get me going about dropping light/dark distinction again.  I still think they should do that, of course. 

November 24, 2009 3:48:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,
Not really a coin flip this time.  Most active players will be on dark.  DA almost guarantees that this time around.  It's not a DESIRABLE solution, but its one that will work for now.  No need to get me going about dropping light/dark distinction again.  I still think they should do that, of course. 
Well the Pantheon started before DA was released, and I had the worst problems with the queue this weekend, before DA was made playable in Pantheon (which isn't to say poeple didn't plan ahead for it, I know some did).

That being said, Occulus is probably going to be available next Pantheon, so it's hard to tell what exactly is going to happen next time around when the choice comes up again.

Also, surprisingly, the queue has been better (for me) today than it was before DA was available.

November 24, 2009 5:32:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How about an option that allows you to change your side? 

November 24, 2009 6:05:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting obscenitor,

Quoting Spooky__,
reply 6
The best solution would be to bring back skirmish and scrap pantheon.Lemme play devil's advocate here. I don't believe all of these are compelling, but I do believe these are the likely reasons why your suggestion hasn't been implemented:

The mini-tournaments are fun and there are a lot of players who enjoy them
The demigods have a light/dark theme which the Pantheon highlights
A UI change would need to be implemented to remove pantheon and bring back Skirmish
Another UI change would need to be made to add Occulus and DA to the Skirmish list
A standing portrait of DA/Occulus would need to be made (recall how Skirmish looked before)
Skirmish wasn't popular and the's no guarantee players would use it
The Pantheon website would need a significant change
Many players just like Pantheon in general and you'd risk disenfranchising them

Again, I don't necessarily find all those compelling, but those are likely the reasons why it hasn't been changed.

Now that might not be as compelling to some people who really like the light vs. dark setup as-is, but I think that the problems it would fix outweigh the severity of the issues it would raise, and personally I think it would be fun to try to have an ulterior motive to get more kills, assists, citadel upgrades, etc. so that you beat that dark/light player on your team and contribute more to your side's pool.

But the main reason why I keep repeating this suggestion is that I *think* it can be done completely on the backend by Stardock without requesting UI changes or assistance beyond a green light from GPG.
Agree with this!

November 24, 2009 6:18:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I still think re-enabling skirmish would be the best solution.  At this point, all of the people stuck waiting for a game on darkside would surely play skirmish mode to get a game going.  This would lead to another drop in people playing pantehon, but would give us auto-matches.  Don't think SD is going to turn it back on though. 

I'm all for obscenitor's idea, especially if it didn't require much work from the pubs. 

November 24, 2009 7:11:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting obscenitor,

That's exactly my thoughts. But that would make it a skirmish, right?

November 24, 2009 7:19:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting obscenitor,
Btw. have you considered trackign queues independently?
That's what I am doing right now as of today. Or what exactly do you mean?

November 24, 2009 7:52:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky__,
That's what I am doing right now as of today. Or what exactly do you mean?
I was poking fun at the triple post in which you said 'btw I'm tracking games independently.'

November 24, 2009 7:58:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The solution is easy as I see it, pick a light side and a dark side character on the pantheon screen (2 characters should be optional, you should still be allowed to only pick 1 if you really want a dark/light game, but then you wait). Whichever one gets in game first is the side you fight on. This will still allow light/dark sides and will get you in game fast.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001671   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.