The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

So far Occulus is the new QoT

By on November 23, 2009 6:39:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It would seem that oculus is the new QoT. Fragile, mana dependant, minions even less worth getting. But almost worse than her due to the fact that he has no survivability. It's just like Open QoT except you have no choice in what build. His minion's are far too weak. His base stats far too low for a passive build. So you are forced into a chain lightning and blast off build. While these 2 skills are useful if he is out of mana he becomes useless and normally dead.

+11 Karma | 31 Replies
November 23, 2009 7:03:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

youre partly right, there is only one viable build (as you said). but that build is ok.

November 23, 2009 7:05:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

He has amazing damage and seige capabilities so I say no. Even though she is better when it comes to surviving

'

November 23, 2009 7:06:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You are kidding me right?

Lets do a small comparrision to Demon Assassin to get a few things right.

• Chain Lightning deals 750 dmg to 10 targets at lv 10 for 900 mana, 7 sec cooldown
  • Warp Area deals 500 dmg to 8 targets at lv10 for 1000 mana , 15 sec cooldown

It gets better

• Blast off deals 650 dmg to ALL units at lv10 for 1150 mana, 10 sec cooldown
  • Warp Area deals 500 dmg to 8 targets at lv10 for 1000 mana, 15 sec cooldown

And you compare him to QoT and says Oculus got no survivabilty, that may be true but he got something better

From Lv1 Oculus got a damn 0.5 sec cast warp (Blast off) to escape about any dangerous situation, as QoT I would Kill for that.

From what Ive played so far, Oculus totally owns the game!

Not saying his balls doesnt suck balls though, because they do.

November 23, 2009 7:12:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sevenix,

From Lv1 Oculus got a damn 0.5 sec cast warp (Blast off) to escape about any dangerous situation, as QoT I would Kill for that.

I found the warp completely useless.

November 23, 2009 8:00:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The warp seems to be just useful enough to pull you out of those risky situations. But due to the .5 second charge up time you have to time it right and not get stunned.

November 23, 2009 8:00:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I find warp very helpful. In some ways, it gives you the option to play with a favor item other than Cloak, which in my experience is the single most useful favor item for QoT (unless you are on a large map, in which case Amulet of Tele can become rather useful too). In another light, as I think has been mentioned in a thread elsewhere, it gives Oculus some chasing ability, especially when combined with Cloak.

November 23, 2009 8:53:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i played a match not to long ago and it was a 5 on 5 dark vs light and the 2 worst demigod's playing as A.I of course and all of them were on normal was the DA and OC why no idea but they had less kill's more death's and every other DG had more kill's less death's maybe they are UPed for now?

November 23, 2009 8:55:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the caster build if oculus is very strong and fun too, its a real caster with a VERY strong aoe

it costs mana but having the chance to fight from distance makes it harder to be in dangerous situation, ina normal game enemies are half hp b4 reaching you

November 23, 2009 9:48:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sevenix,
You are kidding me right?

Lets do a small comparrision to Demon Assassin to get a few things right.

Chain Lightning deals 750 dmg to 10 targets at lv 10 for 900 mana, 7 sec cooldown

Warp Area deals 500 dmg to 8 targets at lv10 for 1000 mana , 15 sec cooldown

It gets better

Blast off deals 650 dmg to ALL units at lv10 for 1150 mana, 10 sec cooldown

Warp Area deals 500 dmg to 8 targets at lv10 for 1000 mana, 15 sec cooldown
And you compare him to QoT and says Oculus got no survivabilty, that may be true but he got something better

From what Ive played so far, Oculus totally owns the game!

Not saying his balls doesnt suck balls though, because they do.

But the thing you aren't looking at is his other 2 abilities. DA has 4 very useful abilities while oculus only has 2.

Quoting Sacrificial_Soul,
I find warp very helpful. In some ways, it gives you the option to play with a favor item other than Cloak, which in my experience is the single most useful favor item for QoT (unless you are on a large map, in which case Amulet of Tele can become rather useful too). In another light, as I think has been mentioned in a thread elsewhere, it gives Oculus some chasing ability, especially when combined with Cloak.

I use the cloak with oculus and die more often than a lot of my ally's did. I found that the demon assassin made this so much harder to play as oculus. I in one game died 4 times to the same DA because he hid me with shadow swap just as I used blast off.

To tell you guys the reason I created this post it was after a game with erebus in which he killed me twice at level 5 just because I didn't have the health or speed to escape. EVEN with blast off AND cloak. He just came in and used bite and chased me for a while then used bat swarm when I teleported away. Bite again and I'm dead.

I noticed the same thing against UB and DA you just don't have the ability to get away from these people. And his low base stats will kill him against these 2. Kiting doesn't work when UB takes out half your health in 10 seconds with spit. Kiting doesn't work then erebus just batswarm bites you for half your health.

Quoting ddd888,
the caster build if oculus is very strong and fun too, its a real caster with a VERY strong aoe

it costs mana but having the chance to fight from distance makes it harder to be in dangerous situation, ina normal game enemies are half hp b4 reaching you

In a normal game the enemy has 4k health against a 2k health oculus. And your abilities do slightly more damage than theirs and you have AoE. You are still dead though. Against any other general he RULES. But erebus plays too much like an assassin for that to take effect. All the assassins with a decent chase/stun normally just steamroll him.

Quoting Sacrificial_Soul,

I don't doubt the usefulness of the warp but the fact that his other 2 abilities are useless or nigh useless isn't very encouraging. He only as 2 sources of damage really. Chain lightning and minions.

November 23, 2009 10:04:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Swift anklets and boots of speed and you are set.

November 23, 2009 10:07:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

edit fricking forum....

November 23, 2009 11:07:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lol i only posted this one post 4 times because my internet cut out just as it submitted it so it ended up resending it 4 times.

I've used boots of speed and anklet just couldn't achieve the effect needed... maybe i need to try again.

November 23, 2009 11:49:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

XaviorsFist your either playing badly or you should be saying that occulas is too underpowered and is forced to run every time from the Teir 1 demigods (i dont think this is at all true, but yes they are still stronger).

Being able to run away from a 1vs1 fight is towards the bottom of the list of how a demigod so be selected, rook is many times worse than occulas at running away and he is still a playerble demigod.

Occulas is the best farmer in the game (with tb as a close second) either lightning or blast off should be able to take out an intire creepwave in half a sec from level 2 so you should be able to get a lot more cash than everyone else. Blast off is one of the more useful skills in the game (i personal think it has more applications than any other skill) and if it was on other demigods would be rather overpowered, (just so i said it first it could be the best skill in the game). Its a 1000 damage nuke at level 7 (yes this does work just have a think a think about it, mana cost is steep though) , can kill entire creep waves up to giants and can get you out of trouble (and get you the gold from the creeps),. Occulas can get well a head in levels just like TB can.

Occulas gets a bit of health for a ranged demi too. Your playing it wrong if you get yourself into a fight before you have at least 2.8k hitponts at level 4 if everything is spent on mana. If you still have 2k buy the time the enermy has 4k then you are doing it wrong ie wasting time instead of just poping out from towers to aoe the creeps to get full gold and exp from them. Early game you have to use the towers just like every other ranged demi has to.

November 24, 2009 4:24:39 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

With the right tactics, an early game UB can frag Oculus without taking any damage. Looks to be a very weak DG to me.

November 24, 2009 5:10:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Occ has 2 usefull active abilities (blast off, chain lightning) and 2 useless (balls, mana surge)

mana surge: brings nothing as long as you cant see your teammates mana-bar. of course, they can chat to you when they need mana, but this costs time and is inconvenient !

balls: the most useless ability in game ever ! these things are much to weak, and you cant use them properly ! GPG has to fix this ability like hell !!!

the only effective Occulus build so far is to level blast off, chain lightning, King of the Minotaur......

November 24, 2009 5:54:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Fuzzy Logic,
With the right tactics, an early game UB can frag Oculus without taking any damage. Looks to be a very weak DG to me.
I have never seen such tactics
Quoting nzac,
XaviorsFist your either playing badly or you should be saying that occulas is too underpowered and is forced to run every time from the Teir 1 demigods (i dont think this is at all true, but yes they are still stronger).

Being able to run away from a 1vs1 fight is towards the bottom of the list of how a demigod so be selected, rook is many times worse than occulas at running away and he is still a playerble demigod.

Occulas is the best farmer in the game (with tb as a close second) either lightning or blast off should be able to take out an intire creepwave in half a sec from level 2 so you should be able to get a lot more cash than everyone else. Blast off is one of the more useful skills in the game (i personal think it has more applications than any other skill) and if it was on other demigods would be rather overpowered, (just so i said it first it could be the best skill in the game). Its a 1000 damage nuke at level 7 (yes this does work just have a think a think about it, mana cost is steep though) , can kill entire creep waves up to giants and can get you out of trouble (and get you the gold from the creeps),. Occulas can get well a head in levels just like TB can.

Occulas gets a bit of health for a ranged demi too. Your playing it wrong if you get yourself into a fight before you have at least 2.8k hitponts at level 4 if everything is spent on mana. If you still have 2k buy the time the enermy has 4k then you are doing it wrong ie wasting time instead of just poping out from towers to aoe the creeps to get full gold and exp from them. Early game you have to use the towers just like every other ranged demi has to.

Win or lose, I usually out damaged everyone epically, and have the most towers taken with occulas

Quoting DemiCom,
Occ has 2 usefull active abilities (blast off, chain lightning) and 2 useless (balls, mana surge)

mana surge: brings nothing as long as you cant see your teammates mana-bar. of course, they can chat to you when they need mana, but this costs time and is inconvenient !

balls: the most useless ability in game ever ! these things are much to weak, and you cant use them properly ! GPG has to fix this ability like hell !!!

Entourage, now their I just proved you wrong.

November 24, 2009 6:56:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

within a couple hours of 1.2 release, a mod was made that allows you to see your teammates hp, mana, and armor in a friendly little box that appears when you hover over their name (instead of just hp like it normally is).  Is mana surge more appealing to you now?

November 24, 2009 7:13:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting XaviorsFist,

In a normal game the enemy has 4k health against a 2k health oculus.

lol why should you have so low hp??

its nonsense oculus has just slightly less than others, the difference is beast and other need to get autoattack abilities while oculus can focus just con mana/regen and hp

And your abilities do slightly more damage than theirs and you have AoE. You are still dead though. Against any other general he RULES. But erebus plays too much like an assassin for that to take effect. All the assassins with a decent chase/stun normally just steamroll him.

not possible

oculus can dmg way b4 he is engaged, just l2p, the chain is so much powerful and allows a distance very high from threats

November 24, 2009 7:19:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RAWRRRR,

within a couple hours of 1.2 release, a mod was made that allows you to see your teammates hp, mana, and armor in a friendly little box that appears when you hover over their name (instead of just hp like it normally is).  Is mana surge more appealing to you now?
I mostly use it on myself, 300 mana is better than no mana

November 24, 2009 8:05:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RAWRRRR,

Thats a mod....this ability should be usefull in the normal game, but as long as these mana-feature isnt added to the original game, these ability will not work after Occs public release.

November 24, 2009 9:08:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You can use it on yourself:O?

November 24, 2009 9:37:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yea, the mana surge works on yourself, i think you get a +200 mana benefit when casting it on yourself for mana surge I.  I would recommend spamming that on yourself as much as possible haha.

I found that Vlemish + Plenor + Unbreakable will keep mana up for most fights, hungarlings is a great benefit when it can be afforded.

The build that ive been messing with is chain, blast off, minotaur and mana surge.  it seems ok.  I have thrown a point of two into his balls just so i could throw those at towers from a distance.  They werent too effective at the low level though.

His biggest issue is definitely getting away from other demi's.  He needs a shield Blast off's range is too low, getting swift anklet over BoTF sux but that seems to be the only way to get a speed edge.

It'll be interesting to see what GPG does with the final builds and see what we come up with for him.

j

November 24, 2009 9:40:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yep. It's basically a skill point for +10 mps

November 24, 2009 10:18:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Its a UI mod, meaning that no one else nees to have it for you to be able to use it all the time.

Quoting DemiCom,

Quoting RAWRRRR,
reply 17

Thats a mod....this ability should be usefull in the normal game, but as long as these mana-feature isnt added to the original game, these ability will not work after Occs public release.

It's a UI mod, no one else needs to have it installed for you to use it...

November 24, 2009 10:44:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

mana surge needs something extra. Mana isnt enough. Maybe add the CD to lower levels?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.