The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Has anyone made all new Favor Items yet?

If so please help me!

By on November 23, 2009 9:14:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Has anyone made an all new favor item yet? Not just a rejig of a current item.

I have been trying this, with my meager modding skills (read that as NOOB) by using mrappard's New Favor Tab mod and modifying Gkrits BANHAMMER as i need, well near totally actually.

I am trying to combine skills from 3 other items in game, some being favor some artifact and i guess i have missed a big peice of the puzzle.

For example, Gkrits hammer mod lists like this...

I guess i am not pointing to the right item under bonuses or something....i copied the needed skills direct form the other items and adjusted the values as i needed but something is fouled up.

My changes.....

I can make items for the artifact shop just fine, but something about favor items is throwing me..these lines for instance,

'<LOC ITEM_Achievement_9999>

and others like it...not sure how i am meant to read thses and if only code with "achievement" in the text should be used for favor.

I guess i'm being a bit vague, and i do apologize, this just has me stumped.

If anyone has an insight and can help it would be of great help.

+127 Karma | 20 Replies
November 23, 2009 9:59:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Loc item is for locailization simply remove them unless you'd like to have the item in various languages.

November 23, 2009 10:49:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Loc is useless unless you have a diff version of Demigod, like French for example. Like mrappard said, just remove them. Go to Stardock Games\Demigod\loc\US\strings_db.lua and see what i mean.

Btw...what is that program u use? it seems very good.

November 23, 2009 10:55:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
November 23, 2009 11:04:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pretty sure your just editing the tooltip

the good stuff - ie the ingame effects are in the ability blueprints:

For example an aura would be

Ability blueprint = {

Name = 'AAA',

AbilityType = 'Aura',

Duration = 10,

Aurapulse = 1,

Buffs = {

TotalHealth = 100,

}

I have modded like 10 new items in but havent got around to posting them yet, sorry, (death in the family ), will try to get them up soon.

November 24, 2009 2:57:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks guys. Making items and favor work are two different kettle of fish.

And yes i use Notepadd++. It's a great editor, and it's free too.

(Sorry to hear about the death mate...)

November 24, 2009 3:31:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sigh... i cant create new items with mrappards new favor tab, either.

I dont know, I have to be doing something wrong. Maybe the same mistake with you Neilo. I have modified the shop layout file, and the unit file, but nothing. I even copied the BANHAMMER and pasted it below the original, changed its name, and still nothing, no new items.

What the hell?

November 24, 2009 3:52:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can get the tab name change to work, i changed it to neilo's favor items...but no, i can't even get the ban hammer to work in there.

I, atm, am going through each change i make, line by line and testing each one. I'm just using the BANHAMMER as a templete for the moment and trying things out, but i keep getting DISPLAY NAME MISSING on ALL items.....not just the altered one,

I think i have all files correctly modded bar for the Achievements.lua itself.

As far as you know, do the bonuses for favor, must they include 'ITEM_Achievement_1234' or can we copy bonus from, artifacts or chest say and use,

'ITEM_Chest_1234' or 'ITEM_Artifact_1234'

At this point i'm going over everything.......

November 24, 2009 4:03:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just tried a simple change to the BANHAMMER...I tried to include a armor bonus. copied from Platemail of the Crusdaer...and nothing i do can get it to work.

Is this possibly because there are no Favor items that offer a armor bonus, so i am forced to use 'ITEM_Chest_1234', instead of what most favor use which is 'ITEM_Achievement_1234'?

I bet if i mod the BANHAMMER to offer a health bonus copied from Blood of the fallen, it will work....Something about the way the game reads ITEM_Achievement as opposed to ITEM_Anything_else_in_the_game.......

:/

November 24, 2009 4:22:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OK first things first.

Neilo, about the bonuses you say, it is under Tooltips. So what you put in bonuses is what the tooltip will show, when you mouse over the item to see its effects. In other words, you can create an item that will say +1000 health, but could give anything but this. This is just the tooltip.

Also, you cant just put the name of another item, and have its effects. this can only work if you put the name of the item you are creating. Names from other items can give you only the tooltip decription at best.

Moreover, you can name your item to whatever you want. Each item has 2 names: the display name, and its "true" name. By "true" i mean the name which the game reads and recognises each item from. So the true name doesnt have to be 'ITEM_Chest_1234' or 'ITEM_Achievement_1234' .

It is very frustrating when i think i am doing everything right in an attempt to mod, and then i discover that i made a big mistake!

I am sure that we are both doing the same big mistake here, because i am getting "DISPLAY NAME MISSING" too in ALL items. I dont have a lot of time right now, but i will continue tomorrow on my modding quest

Keep modding

November 24, 2009 4:26:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol @ triple post..but anyways....

I would have lost the bet. all i did was delete these lines from the BANHAMMER,

'<LOC ITEM_Achievement_9999>+80 Weapon Damage',

GetDmageBonus = function(self) return Buffs['AchievementDamage'].Affects.DamageRating.Add end,

DamageRating = {Add = 80},

and added in the health bonus from Blood of the Fallen,

'<LOC ITEM_Achievement_0003>+[GetHealthBonus] Health',

GetHealthBonus = function(self) return Buffs['AchievementHealth'].Affects.MaxHealth.Add end,

MaxHealth = {Add = 800, AdjustHealth = true},

and once again i was greeted with this, as i have on every attempt,

All i changed from the vanilla New Item Tab Mod for this test, was the above lines....

I'm trying to understand the numbers after the item...ITEM_Achievement_0003

I see these changed in some mods and as the vanilla game values in others.....

November 24, 2009 4:39:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No it should be more like this:

'+[GetHealthBonus] Health',

GetHealthBonus = function(self) return Buffs['insert your item's name'].Affects.MaxHealth.Add end,

I always delete the LOC stuff in every mod, because it usually causes problems.

Also change the ['AchievementHealth'] line to whatever you are calling your item. 'AchievementHealth' = Blood of the fallen.

I have found out the the programming of demigod is somewhat weird, but the lua language is logical and makes sense.

So you should count on both of these things, common sense AND understanding of the weird dg programming.

November 24, 2009 4:46:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Success!!!!

Well a small one anyway. I managed to get the BANHAMMER to have blood of the fallens health bonus as i tried above.

My only change was in the above line from,

'<LOC ITEM_Achievement_0003>+[GetHealthBonus] Health',

to

'<LOC ITEM_Achievement_9999>+[GetHealthBonus] Health',

which was the value used for +80 weapon damge in the BANHMAMMER. I guess these numbers need to be unique and not shared by any other item in the game, even though we are copying the values from those items anyway...

IDk...but that worked..step 2, introduce a non favor item value into it.

Once we have this fully sorted mate, i think between us we could easily fill that new tab on the favor page. What we also need is a new tab in the same manner but for the shop and artifact shop....

November 24, 2009 4:50:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No it should be more like this:

'+[GetHealthBonus] Health',

GetHealthBonus = function(self) return Buffs['insert your item's name'].Affects.MaxHealth.Add end,

I always delete the LOC stuff in every mod, because it usually causes problems.

Also change the ['AchievementHealth'] line to whatever you are calling your item. 'AchievementHealth' = Blood of the fallen.

I have found out the the programming of demigod is somewhat weird, but the lua language is logical and makes sense.

So you should count on both of these things, common sense AND understanding of the weird dg programming.

thats how i have been doing artifacts...but once you get back on and see, the weird dg programming is at full speed, cause it worked doing it the way i did as well!!!

I'm near sure i tried doing favor the way you mentioned, which is the way i did my Avatar mod, but it failed...that was 24hrs ago though and i have learned a great deal in that time....I am too used to XML's...

Thanks for the help man!!

November 24, 2009 8:06:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Morph, i have new favor working great now, just need to balance my first new favor item and i will post it up for download and discussion soon.

November 24, 2009 8:21:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Neilo,
Morph, i have new favor working great now, just need to balance my first new favor item and i will post it up for download and discussion soon.

Great! i have made a favor with normal buffs, like mana, health, speed etc but i havent been able to make one with a unique effect.

I am anxious to see your mod. Post it up bro!

November 24, 2009 9:27:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah mine are just unique combination's of normal buffs as well. I'm just in the process of configuring the gkrits tab to suit my mod name, which is causing me trouble, and i will release the first part of the mod.

I have one complete new item and two in progress, i'll release the mod with those 3 so they can be fully tested and balanced.

November 24, 2009 9:32:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's very specific about where your layout folder is. The path has to match exactly.

November 24, 2009 10:06:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

guys when getting bad behaviour, check the demigod.log file (mydocuments\mygames\gaspoweredgames\.....\demigod.log).  It might have an error message that will help out.

November 24, 2009 11:03:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting bman654,
guys when getting bad behaviour, check the demigod.log file (mydocuments\mygames\gaspoweredgames\.....\demigod.log).  It might have an error message that will help out.

Good thinking mate, i will, though for just new buff favor items i'm on the ball now.

November 24, 2009 6:25:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

discussion thread up for two new favor items. they will be released soon.

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/369974

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.