The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Oculus Passive Abilities

By on November 22, 2009 6:13:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've played Doc Oc a few times in MP so far, but haven't really explored his passive abilities yet, and most of the ppl I've played with have been doing the same (with the exception of the idol bonus passive). I'm really curious if anyone has tried the lightening dmg passive and the sacrifice ability with an organized team. Plz comment if you have done so!

+4 Karma | 14 Replies
November 22, 2009 6:26:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just tried a very passive/general build with oculus. It wasn't bad but it wasn't anything great either. For his lightning buff to be useful, you need to be pretty tough and stay near the frontline.

I'm thinking either full caster or a hybrid is the only way to play oculus.

November 22, 2009 6:41:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

light buff is useful in a long game or with many players or with much gold

otherwise is too weak

the heal maybe is a decent choice in a team but you should need a tankish build and go get hit dunno

November 22, 2009 7:10:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Outside the idols, I dont find his passive abilities too useful myself.

November 22, 2009 7:32:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Grunts and Archers fireing 100 dmg lightningbolts is too weak you say?

November 22, 2009 7:43:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The AoE range of the lightning buff is very small and centered around your DG. So if you have allies more than a like 5ft from you, they don't get the buff.

November 22, 2009 7:56:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sevenix,
Grunts and Archers fireing 100 dmg lightningbolts is too weak you say?

10% chance...

November 22, 2009 8:23:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The range is 15 yards

And 10%, its still a 100 dmg lightningbolt from a grunt/archer who normally deals 25/20. Lategame you can easily push waves with some 20 creeps or so in them. The extra damage added trough this talent should be quite substantial. not to mention a "lucky 7 lightningbolts proc on the enemy demigod instantly taking away 700 of his health he didnt plan for".

btw grunts have an attackspeed of 2 hits each second which means its basically 20% chanse for it to proch each sec from each grunt.

Archers have 1.33 hits each second making it 13% chanse each sec.

Also for the Sacrifice ability I didnt think much of it at start, but then started doing some DemiMath and realized that if you got this skill at full rank and get sniped for some 1k damage, all around you get healed for 400, which is not to be underestimated at all I must say.

Its heal radius is just 10 yards though, which is a bit on the small side.

November 22, 2009 8:53:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, it sounds like sacrifice might be a pretty situational skill. Trouble I see with it is if you are getting focus fired, chances are your team probably won't need the healing anyway. Lightning bolts sound a bit more fun. Oculus' ability to wipe out waves of creeps with ease in addition to passive dmg boost for minions might make for some fun lane pushing if uncontested by AOE demis.

November 22, 2009 9:26:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sevenix,
The range is 15 yards

And 10%, its still a 100 dmg lightningbolt from a grunt/archer who normally deals 25/20. Lategame you can easily push waves with some 20 creeps or so in them. The extra damage added trough this talent should be quite substantial. not to mention a "lucky 7 lightningbolts proc on the enemy demigod instantly taking away 700 of his health he didnt plan for".

btw grunts have an attackspeed of 2 hits each second which means its basically 20% chanse for it to proch each sec from each grunt.

Archers have 1.33 hits each second making it 13% chanse each sec.

Also for the Sacrifice ability I didnt think much of it at start, but then started doing some DemiMath and realized that if you got this skill at full rank and get sniped for some 1k damage, all around you get healed for 400, which is not to be underestimated at all I must say.

Its heal radius is just 10 yards though, which is a bit on the small side.

i call it useless

it just doesnt make much sense, if you get 400 hit you should get some other bonus like 10% dodge for 5 sec

healing others is just nonsense

for the aura, do the creeps get aura too? if so i could see a slightly meaning even if...

basically it takes 70 minion attacks to score what a lightning does with 1 hit

at least the area should be very large

November 22, 2009 9:26:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sacrificial_Soul,
Well, it sounds like sacrifice might be a pretty situational skill. Trouble I see with it is if you are getting focus fired, chances are your team probably won't need the healing anyway. Lightning bolts sound a bit more fun. Oculus' ability to wipe out waves of creeps with ease in addition to passive dmg boost for minions might make for some fun lane pushing if uncontested by AOE demis.

My biggest problem is he seems to have no power to stay,  and if he becomes the focus of damage; then chances are he will die before he can even teleport out of there. I have been using him currently with BoTF butthis is barely an improvement. He has about 4 skills that even seem useful to me: lighting chain, brain storm (im always using it on myself), lighting ball, and minion boost.

November 22, 2009 9:48:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I prefer Cape of Plentiful Mana and focus on minion boost, lighting chain, and blast off. I'm still not sure if Mind Shear is working... played another MP game today where I took this and ppl were still regening health even after being hit. Does it only affect base health regen and not stacked HP?

November 22, 2009 9:56:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I couldn't say I have only got lighting chain that high once in a game and that game was literally a uphill battle until we finally lot. I don't see any use for blast off though, the damage isn't worthwhile, the movement isn't far, and it cost too much for my taste. I did try to use him in a minion build....I am not doing that again for sure. Here’s something I have been wonder do his death animation have any effects? Like Le leaves a poisonous potion, fire tb does 150 damage, frost tb reduces speed by 25%.

November 22, 2009 10:05:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well the way I think oculus should be played is by using the passive lightning end game. Early on 5% isn't good but at level 14 which is normally when I max it in addition to almost full creep waves and my own 6 minions 10% for 100 damage is a sizable increase of DPS if you look at it. Saying a full minion wave may activate it once a second thats 100 extra damage plus if you are near other generals and plus your own minions it can easily add 200 dps on it's own.

I find his stats increase from minions very useful. The minotaur health has actually saved me. Summon minotaurs to buy time to warp away with blast off.

A very passive build I saw as not very useful but if ball lightning was buffed and with it's fast attack speed 4 ball lightnings make that 10% even more effective.

Blast off is one of the most useful skills on oculus. I couple it with cloak of night and in one game got 3 kills when a fellow DA only got 4. Amazing chaser and coupled with chain lightning adds even more DPS.

In my mind oculus isn't a nuker and is horrible at single targt damage. Basically my stategy is kite them while my maxed out minions hack away. And if creep waves are involved take out those creeps and let those bash away at the enemy demigod as well. When the enemy gets low on health then I do chain lightning blast off cloak of night and chain lightning again and normally they will die. Plus oculus is a VERY good person at taking down towers. Chain lightning can snipe a creep wave just as it rounds a tower to kill everything in the wave and damage the tower too. Which afterwards just send in your minions and whatever creep wave is coming up behind you and auto attack that tower down.

Although I think that his ability that gives him stats from his minions should give his minions extra stats too.

November 22, 2009 10:28:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My biggest this is the time limit on his minions, is there a reason or point for that?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000359   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.