The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[MOD] Play as Demon Assassin and Oculus

Play as DA and OC

By on November 21, 2009 7:36:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I replaced Random Assassin and Random General selection functions with a simple return of DA and OC directly.  This mod works becuase HeroUtil.lua was not locked.

Select Random Assasin to play as Demon Assassin.  

Select Random General to play as Oculus.

Download: http://peppe-dg-mods.googlecode.com/files/Random_EQ_New.zip

To play online/multiplayer all players must have the mod extracted to the mod folder correctly.  A common error is to have an extra directory more details below.

How to Install:

Find your demigod install folder and extract the mod to:

Demigod\bindata\mods\

Default path is something like: C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\mods

Create mods folder if it doesn't exist, but it should already exist.  You should end up with one 'Random_EQ_New'  folder in your mods folder (if your extraction tool created an extra directory move the files up to the top level Random_EQ_New.  Enable the mod in the mod manager in game and select the random demigod you want to play.

Final Install path should end up:

Demigod\bindata\mods\Random_EQ_New

In that folder you should see a hook folder and the mod_info.lua

To play offline single player you can use the mod above for skirmishes only or edit your registry for tournaments.

Single player option, Registry Edit:

This registry edit will allow playing as DA/OC in single player skirmishes and tournaments.  With this change the icons for the demigods will no longer be grayed out for all offline menues ingame.

Start -> Run -> Regedit.  Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Stardock\Drengin.net\Demigod\DLC

Change the value for 9 and 10 from 0(disabled) to 1 (enabled). 

Credit to ntropy for the regedit if he wants it

+48 Karma | 61 Replies
November 21, 2009 7:55:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

HeroUtil isn't lock... well that's... hilarious. Great catch. I guess I have a way to add any new demigod I make now.

November 21, 2009 8:13:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, crazy to have heroutil unlocked.  You gotta figure that will change going forward, or some hardcoded final check of the demigods vs accounts on game start will occur.   They are obviously working on the best way to secure these assets while still allowing modding.  These free ones are the test case.

Wonder if we will see hash checks on the stardock demigods, so they can tell if they have been modded like they did with the dgdata.zip file.   The other mod that adds DA/OC overwrites OAK/QoT with the new demigods, and could probably work for any demigods poeple can create/download, so I think they are going to need to lock 'thier' demigods if they ever plan to sell them.

The front end - lobby area is currently not moddable, so custom demigods can't be added to the selection menues at the moment.  If heroutilstays unlocked you can hack them in, but thats not a great longterm solution.

Also, before someone asks I don't play online, so didn't check that, but assume if both sides have it then it should work fine.

November 21, 2009 10:38:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Really nice man.

November 21, 2009 11:27:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Not sure if we should talk about demon assassin here or in the strategy forum, but man is he something else. Very fun to play and very easy to get kills with.

The evade + speed line leading to a proc ultimate is a waste in my opinion.   Evade alone later in the game is good.   Abilities as with most builds are not really a priority.  The rest of the tree is very good.  With humans I think warp swap would be higher on the priority list.

He uses mana crazy fast but with blade of the serpant (first assassin favor item) he can stay out there a long time.   With that favor item stack items on health regen or damage.   Without that item i found stacking mana regen was not near enough to keep him going, so either need a lot of potions or another plan.

I am used to generals, so found pushing towers very hard, but you can use his tail attack on them if needed.  Later with maxed crit he can take them down easy enough.

I found early game the crit line (precision 4), tail attack (spine attack 4), and warp attack (warp strike 5) are very effective. 

I go spine -> precision and work warp strike in as a low priority mainly use to get spine back in range.   With its ultimate warp strike becomes more mana efficient and killer as well.

Mid game add in Warp area which can get back a ton of mana with blade of the serpant activated.  Warp area only needs 2 skill points to max as the ultimate only adds knocking small units around.  Thats a ton of damage with 15 points. 

I spend the remaining on evade to 3.  I rarely see 20, but mess around with shadow swap at that point

I would expect to see warp strike timer lengthened.  You can open an engagement: spine (1150) -> wap strike (700 or 75% chance of 1400) -> chase a little -> warp strike (same dmg) -> spine (same dmg) = usually dead target.    Go hit a creep wave up with warp area (500x8) + blade of the serpant and hunt your next target.

November 22, 2009 12:09:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thx it Work for me nice mod.

November 22, 2009 12:31:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I played against one of the Gas Powered games workers playing as the DA. The problem I find with him is he's sort of like the TB and he suffers from the same problem basically low hit points and high mana use. So the biggest thing is to not run way from him and out last him. Potion, Sigil and just being a tank will cause him to waste his mana and unlike Erebus he can't teleport away (And it does no good to swap with someone sitting next to him.

Keep in mind I was playing Sedna who the tankiest of the tank.

As for skills his level 15 skill that requires the two passive buff is a great ability (But building for a level 15 ability is bad game play) and stack amazing well with precision. Warp strike lets you get in range and you only have to really use it once to start the beat down. If you focus on his passives and put a couple points in warp strike he can actually fight quite well in a low mana environment.  

As for the other guy wow his abilities are ether bad or good but understated. Blast Off is actually a great abilty both to get in and out of combat. His lightning ability also has a nice short cool down so you can spam those abilities to do 1300 damage when their both maxed. Both of them cause area damage so he's a great guy to bring to big battles. Can't say I'm to impressed with Ball Lightning or the Mana giving ability but if you take minion anyways the king of the minotaurs ability can give you a extra 1000 along with a boost in health. 

November 22, 2009 12:59:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That chain lightning of his can get very interesting. I only tried him once, and the ai doesnt seem to use it much, but that one time, wow. I hit a tower, and watched it chain between the towers, through the citadel, and down several towers on the other side ( capped out it hits I think 10 things. ) That was pretty cool.

November 22, 2009 3:58:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Bleh. Something won't let me extract this into the mods folder. Says Access is denied, but I'm the computer's Admin and first account...

November 22, 2009 9:44:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey peppe!

I love you so much for this !!!!

But m8 can you tell my why it only works for single player ?

Ive tried it now 10 times with friends and always we get an critical gamestate error in the first second of the game.

I would love so much to play it online ! PLease make it work and ill kiss your feed till forever!

November 22, 2009 10:05:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Anyone else tried it multiplayer and found it to work?

It is a very simple mod, so if someone wants to tinker with it to get multiplayer working feel free.   Or has something they want me to try I can make a test mod to try and get MP going.

The only file changed is lua\common\HeroUtil.lua.

Inside that file these functions were changed:

function ResolveRandomGeneralChoice(authBlock)

return 'hoculus'   

end

function ResolveRandomAssassinChoice(authBlock)

return 'hdemon'

end

Lordi, you check inside:

My Documents\My Games\Gas Powered Games\DemigodLog.txt

Don't need the whole log, but could see what error it logs and what it was doing.

November 22, 2009 10:09:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting BrownieTheOne,
Bleh. Something won't let me extract this into the mods folder. Says Access is denied, but I'm the computer's Admin and first account...

Don't know what OS you are on, but Vista/Win7 seem to protect users from themselves a little too aggressively.   Search in your favorite search engine:  how to take ownership of a folder in windows.

Grant yourself access to the folder and then complete the extract.

November 22, 2009 10:18:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Please do not Lock HeroUtil.lua, is is extremly useful for modding.

November 22, 2009 10:47:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Peppe,

Lordi, you check inside:

My Documents\My Games\Gas Powered Games\DemigodLog.txt

Don't need the whole log, but could see what error it logs and what it was doing.

Too bad this txt is just empty :/ 0 bytes

There is also something wrong with the mod acception. We managed to get ppl into my server without having the mod enabled. THey just had the mod in theyr mod folder. But it makes no diffrence. Always that gamestate error.

Edit:

I just closed my game and now i have a log file, its very big and i dont know where to find the error there ^^. Im pretty noob in those things.

Ive send you a pm with a link for my demigod logfile. Plz check it and i hope you find something in there.

November 22, 2009 11:38:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The log you sent is long

This section is interesting and none of the CVP stuff shows up in single player:

info: 00:00:27: >>>>Fetching additional content from CVP
info: 00:00:27: <<< 10 entries in additional content
info: 00:00:27: <<< 9 is not authorized
info: 00:00:27: <<< 10 is not authorized
info: 00:00:27: <<< 1 is authorized
info: 00:00:27: <<< 2 is authorized
info: 00:00:27: <<< 3 is authorized
info: 00:00:27: <<< 4 is authorized
info: 00:00:27: <<< 5 is authorized
info: 00:00:27: <<< 6 is authorized
info: 00:00:27: <<< 7 is authorized
info: 00:00:27: <<< 8 is authorized

The demi gods are number 1-10. Original eight are 1-8.

Wonder if CVP makes a check on game start?  Anyone know what LUA files are used for stardock/multiplayer hosted games?

Lordi17, for a quick work around you might try playing with your friends through a 'LAN' game over hamachi.

November 22, 2009 11:38:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Interesting.... I will  definitely check it out

November 22, 2009 11:42:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Interesting.... I will  definitely check it out

Edit: double post, sorry. The usual stupid message messed it up (Forums go Boom).

November 22, 2009 11:48:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just tried a game online with all AI opponents and it worked. 

Lordi, the other odd thing i saw in your log is the path to my mod was in an extra subfolder:

/mods/random_eq_new/random_eq_new/hook/lua/common/heroutil.lua

Your side hooked it fine, so maybe the person you were playing with had it with a different path?

Like: /mods/random_eq_new/hook/lua/common/heroutil.lua 

Maybe mod paths need to be the same in multiplayer or it causing the gamestate error.

November 22, 2009 11:54:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Peppe,
Just tried a game online with all AI opponents and it worked. 

Lordi, the other odd thing i saw in your log is the path to my mod was in an extra subfolder:

/mods/random_eq_new/random_eq_new/hook/lua/common/heroutil.lua

Your side hooked it fine, so maybe the person you were playing with had it with a different path?

Like: /mods/random_eq_new/hook/lua/common/heroutil.lua 

Maybe mod paths need to be the same in multiplayer or it causing the gamestate error.

WOW this is really important. Yes the path needs to be the same.

People the hook folder needs to be inside 1 folder (with the original name) Not 2.

Here's what happened:

With WinRar, an archive program, when you extract a zipped file, it puts it under a folder with the name of the zip file.

So then you have the actual mod folder, under 1 more folder, which is not good. The other person might have it as it supposed to be, i.e no additional folders.

Place your mods with the hook file, inside ONE folder not 2 or more. Also dont change folder names or anything. Place the mod as is, unless you know what you are doing.

November 22, 2009 3:27:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just tried the mod 1v1.
At start the Desync made us exit the game.
we tried it twice and twice the Desync.

So think it's save to say tht this wont work online.
Atleast until tht is solved.

November 22, 2009 3:30:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Please read my post, and you can resolve this problem,  Silverdust.

November 22, 2009 3:44:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I got it in the proper folder so tht can't be it....

November 22, 2009 4:02:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Works very good!

November 22, 2009 4:05:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i already played with it online. must be on your side silverdust.

November 22, 2009 4:49:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Now that we have a mod anyway, I can tell you how it works. The LUA code calls a method call "CVPIsAuthorized" (in around 8 places), which isn't coded in LUA as far as I can tell. The running code redsides in Demigod.exe. In single player it will check the registry where the demigods, values 1 to 10 are set to either 0=false or 1=true. Change this and you can play them. As far as I know these entries are made on the fly, at game start. So just start, then edit the registry, then play. Multiplayer is different. I haven't looked into this completly, but some methode is called and returns true or false. Inside the methode some random memory addresses are accessed and processed, nothing too fancy, some sort of lookup. Haven't traced it any furhter.. There's a mod now anyway.

Just a little insight on these things...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.