The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[MOD] Balance for items 0.3 (beta - need feedback)

need feedback

By on November 21, 2009 1:50:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So i was thinking i could start a thread, where originally, people will post their ideas and offer suggestion about balancing all these useless items in Demigod. I know it is a bit early, but i want this thread to be the main balancing thread, and to make these balance fixes myself if everyone here doesnt mind. Or somebody else can do it. I dont have a problem.

So this thread here is for everyone to post their ideas for balancing items, throw some suggestions, even thoughts about new items. Although i think we are better off balancing already existing ones.

So come people throw out your ideas and lets us start balancing the game!

I made a beta version, that right now, has only balanced Helm items. I need a lot of feedback, and thus i cant make a full balance mod yet (need more info etc). Anyway the balance changes are: 

Scaled Helm - unchanged. it is already a decent starting mana helm.

- Plate Visor - +35% mana per second (600 gold)

- Plate Visor - +50% mana per second, +425 mana (575 gold)

- Plenor Battlecrown - +1575 mana, +70% mana per second (1500 gold)

- Plenor Battlecrown - +1375 mana, +35% mana per second (1500 gold)

- Vlemish Faceguard - +1050 mana, +11 mana per second, +4 mana per second Aura (1750 gold)

- Vlemish Faceguard - +1050 mana, +4 mana per second, +8 mana per second Aura (1750 gold)

- Theurgist's Cap - +10 Health per second, +35% mana per second, +200 minion Health, +3 minion Health per sec. (2000 gold)

5% Chance on being hit to reduce the target's Health per second by 50% and mana per second by 50% for 10 seconds.

- Theurgist's Cap - +10 Health per second, +20 mana per second, +200 minion Health, +3 minion Health per sec. (2000 gold)

15% Chance on being hit to increase Health per second by 70% and mana per second by 70% for 10 seconds.

- Vinling Helmet - +1050 mana, +70% mana per second (price: 3300 gold)

3% chance on being hit to restore 350 mana.

- Vinling Helmet - +750 mana, +70% mana per second (price: 2250 gold)

-10% Cooldown Reduction Aura

- Hungarling's Crown - +700 mana, +18 mana per second, -25% mana cost Aura (price: 5500 gold)

- Hungarling's Crown - +1575 mana, +18 mana per second, -25% mana cost Aura (price: 4250 gold)

Updated to 0.3.  The changes are:

- Plate Visor - +50% mana per second, +425 mana

- Plenor Battlecrown - +1375 mana, + 35% mana per second

- Vlemish Faceguard - +4 mana per second, +8 mana per second Aura

- Theurgist's Cap - +15% Chance on being hit to increase Health per second by 70% and mana per second by 70% for 10 seconds.

- Vinling Helmet - +750 mana, -10% Cooldown Reduction Aura,  removed the previous effect.

Changed price of Vinling Helmet to 2250 gold.

Changed price of Hungarling's Crown to 4250 gold.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Download here  http://www.mediafire.com/?zmjizzgyyyj

Or here    http://uploading.com/files/f3b1fd6e/Balance%2Bfor%2Bitems.rar/

+160 Karma | 115 Replies
November 21, 2009 5:10:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Note these are all my own suggestions. So if you have opposing views state them

-OK here is my opinions on the gloves-
Gauntlets of Brutailty: Keep the same
Gladiator Gloves: Increase attack speed to 10% and give +6 minion damage
Wrymskin Handguards: Increase damage to 20. Keep the rest
Gauntlets of Despair: Give a damage bonus of 15 damage and 5% attack speed
Slayers Wraps: Decrease price to 2700
Gloves of Fell-Darkur: Decrease price to 2800
Doomsprite Grips: Decrease price to 5500

-Armour-
(First four armours are fine)
Duelist's Cuirass: Increase armour to 450 and health to 550.
Armor of Vegenance: Give health bonus of 400. Decrease price to 2750
Platemail of Crusader: Decrease price to 3250. Add health bonus of 500. Increase armour to 600. Increase chance to 3%
Groffling Warplate: Decrease price to 4000
Godplate: Overrated. Decrease price to 7500

-Helms-
Plate Visor: Add mana bonus of 600. Give vision bonus of 3-5
Theurgists Cap: Increase chance to 20%. Increase regen to 15 and mana to 40%
Vinling Helmet: Increase mana to 2100. Mana to 80%. Regen chance to 8%

I would need more time to think about the rest:P

November 22, 2009 5:25:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Magnus Rod needs to be reduced in cost to 2750.

Hungarlings should either be reduced in cost to 5000, or it should have its mana base increased to 1800 and its MPS set to +19. Heck, do both. It's 5000 friggin gold pieces.

Ironwalkers and Desperate Boots need to be changed. I'm not sure how.

Favor items:

Symbol of Purity should probably give 450 health and should make user immune to negative effects (besides stuns) for 5 seconds.

Samaael's Cloak should make user immune to speed debuffs (0% cap on speed reduction) and should add a 10% speed bonus.

Essence of Magic should probably be made a General's favor item, and it should have the buff duration increased from 3 seconds to 5 seconds. It should also give 7 MPS and 800 mana.

Brilliant Bauble should give 20% XP and 250 HP.

Diamond Pendant should give 450 HP.

Blood of the Fallen should have its HP buff reduced to 700.

Staff of the Warmage needs to do something unique. Perhaps it should increase attack speed on use or reset cooldowns. Either that or turn it into a legit mana item, such as giving +10 MPS.

Cape of Plentiful Mana should increase a DG's MPS to +15 MPS if the DG's MPS is less than 15.

How about making Tome of Endurance give invisibility on use for 3 seconds? 35 second cooldown.

Dark Crimson Vial should have cast time reduced to 0.5 seconds.

November 22, 2009 7:11:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Charm Of Life could be more like 400hp & 10hp/s.

Brilliant Bauble: 20% XP

I also think there is a dodge item missing. some boot should give an xtra 5% dodge.

November 22, 2009 1:13:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

These are great! I will make a favor items balance mod soon, so any feedback on them first will be very much appreciated.

Keep posting people!

November 22, 2009 1:39:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i think we should discuss that in the demigod chat channel. dunno if the people are civilized enough but we could try

November 22, 2009 1:46:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i guess we could, but there are many people that dont like the IRC in demigod.

Anyway, ill be on it later

November 22, 2009 2:28:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@Golgoth, yeah do that and let me abuse the fuck out of plamtemail and AoV=D. Srsly... are you nuts? 1000 armor 400 health and they ability to completley destroy minions?

November 22, 2009 2:42:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just want a 30%-40% reduction of HP items and I'll be playing again.

November 22, 2009 8:34:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting lifekatana,
@Golgoth, yeah do that and let me abuse the fuck out of plamtemail and AoV=D. Srsly... are you nuts? 1000 armor 400 health and they ability to completley destroy minions?

Truthfully I agree with everything he said except the armor of vengance and platemail of crusader. Everything else is perfect. Groffling warplate needs to be something like 4500 gold though going by his standards and then add some to the damage items.  AoV and platemail do become very powerful if these go into place.

And morpheas what would go a long way to balance is to have some ability cooldown reduction items. Something like 2 or 3 items that give -15% ability cooldown. Preferably one that takes an equip slot and one thats a consumable slot with some side bonus. Also one could be 1k gold or something cheap so it may go in with a strategy and another could be something like 5k so it's an investment to keep lowering it.

November 22, 2009 10:31:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think it should be discussed in individual topics. One huge thread for all items will get very cluttered. Once a debate starts over an item, a new thread should be made just for that item. Or maybe one thread per store section This thread could have a master list of all the threads.

[Balancing] Helmets

November 23, 2009 12:57:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting lifekatana,

Yeah after looking at my armour modifications they might need to be changed. But its difficult to modify the price of the armour without making it daftly insane. Mind you a simple no I dont agree would have been nicer dickhead ^^

Going to try balance Boots here now
-Boots-
Footmans Sadans: Increase to 300 health. Lose mana bonus and give 300 armour bonus instead (Might need to be adjusted)
Boots of Speed: Unchanged
Unbreakable boots: Reduce mana from 800 to 700
Assassins Footgaurds: Increase Attack Speed to 15%. Give speed bonus of 5% (Again might need changed)
Ironwalkers: Lose the minion stats. Gives 1000 armour straight off. Whenever movement speed goes below starting speed all damage is decreased by 25% (Dunno if this buff would make it worth the price)
Desperate Treads: Increase health from 400 to 600. Mana from 350 to 600. Increase dodge by 20%. Add Movement speed bonus of 10% (Now worth the 4000 gold price tag)
Journeymens Treads: Increase health to 450 and give armour bonus of 200. Increase chance to 15%. Reduce price to 6250

Trinkets are going to be harder but straight off I would like Ring of Ancients to give 600 armour instead of 400. And decrease the price of Warlords Punisher to 1750

November 23, 2009 2:13:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

journeyman is OP or atleast good enough.

Helmets:

I really think this should be rebalanced from the ground up, coz mana is such a delicate game mechanic.

NERF VLEMISH, it should be an ally support skill not a helm everyone gets. Make mana pool items and mana regen items, but dont combine them. Maybe the percentage helmets should be changed to give a percentage f your total mana pool per second as mana regen?

November 23, 2009 4:04:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I see some nice suggestions here.

But in order to proceed in starting to implement changes for balance, i need to be sure about everything. And items are tricky, because unlike favor items, the price makes it difficult to find the right balance.

Keep posting people! Give me more tips and suggestions.

November 23, 2009 4:31:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

im going to make a balance mod myself... maybe we can team up?

November 24, 2009 12:23:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Actually after seconds thoughts keep Journeymen treads at 5% chance but change the other things

November 24, 2009 12:32:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Maybe a nerf is even needed or some changing coz that item makes you damn hard to kill.

November 24, 2009 12:41:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You can't balance items in a vacuum. If you nerf Vlemish you nerf mana regen, which means you buff HP because people have less mana with which to deal damage.

When you nerf HP you reduce fight time, which buffs some DGs and nerfs others. When you buff DPS items you reduce total player health without even needing to nerf HP because each DPS item a character has takes the place of an HP item.

November 24, 2009 12:44:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What would also be nice, if some gloves actually improved your damage.
i can see that a good HP stack counter. Not too much otherwise ppl will be forced to stack HP.

November 24, 2009 12:46:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OH god Obscnenitor. Thank you for your totally irrelevant wisdom.

We talked about this already, we aren't making random changes "in vacuum". Also reread my post about mana items: "rebuild from the ground up""because mana is such an delicate game mechanic". Where in that sentence do you read I want to randomly change items without any thought about metabalance?

November 24, 2009 12:56:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ironically enough I think the nerf of vlemish would be quite a good idea if it was made cheaper than Pelenor. But I cant think how to change it much cause Im tired from work. Will think about it during dinner.

Maybe decrease the boost on Journeymen Treads to 25% btw? That way the 15% buff could be implemented? Just a suggestion. Idealy I would like a beta version made of this mod for us to test first then make various change after cause some items are hard to nerf/buff etc.

Still meaning to look at Trinkets...

One final thing. Would it be possible to change a favour item to give dodge to assassins?

November 24, 2009 1:06:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I discounted your "rebuild from the ground up" statement because I don't see why you want to reinvent the wheel, not to mention it would break TB and QoT.

November 24, 2009 1:16:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes that would be possible. Although I see no benefit to lowering the speed and makign the change higher, whats the purpose of that? Wouldn't normal speed boots not be a lot more logical?

So you aknowledge I don't intent to balance items in vacuum?

November 24, 2009 1:18:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So you aknowledge I don't intent to balance items in vacuum?
No, becasue you talk about specific item changes without stating a goal behind them. They seem to be for their own sake, hence the vacuum statement.

For example, what's the point in rebuilding mana regen?

Here's a direct quote to illustrate my point:

NERF VLEMISH, it should be an ally support skill not a helm everyone gets. Make mana pool items and mana regen items, but dont combine them. Maybe the percentage helmets should be changed to give a percentage f your total mana pool per second as mana regen?
You state that we should rebuild the entire mana system without any explanation whatsoever.

November 24, 2009 1:30:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting obscenitor,
I discounted your "rebuild from the ground up" statement because I don't see why you want to reinvent the wheel.

Oh grow up you two and stop arguing please.

And no I dont need to be quoted and have you create some stupid point to try win the argument because I really dont care

Anyway

-Trinkets-
Forest Band: Give +100 Minion health and this item isnt actually this bad for a minion build. Would need testing though
Natures Reckoning: Decrease price to 1400. Just so more people try using it
Bloodstone Ring: Branded Armour is better for 1100 less. Give a 10Hp/sec regen. Maybe increase health to 450/500 and give 5% movement speed so its an option to Assassins instead of getting Hauberk of Life
Warlords Punisher: Decrease price to 1800. Cant really think what else :/ Needs testing
Ring of Ancients: Increase armour to 650. Give dodge bonus of 5%
Twig of Life: Increase minion health by 300/350?
Magnus Rod: Decrease price to 2750. Increase time to 7 seconds
Orb of Defiance: When invincible give 10Hp/sec regen? Or does it need buffed or nerfed. Not sure about this one
Narmoth Ring: Reduce price to 3800. Cause 4000 price tag has been annoying me
Warpstone: Increase range to 20. Decrease price to 4500

Thats all for now

November 24, 2009 1:57:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can I suggest that we start a wiki page on demigod wiki:

http://demigod.wikia.com/wiki/BALANCING_MOD_-_ITEMS

That way we have a way of keeping a current list of what is in the mod and everyone can make modifications to the accepted 'concensus'.  THe forums don't really lend themselves well to 'concensus'.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
ThanatosESC

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001641   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.