The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Stardock 2009 report

By on November 19, 2009 10:09:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

Each year, like most companies, Stardock puts together an internal business plan that sets up goals, objectives, and challenges that the company must address.

Part of our internal business plan includes analysis of the state of the products/services we make as well as the results of our customer survey.

Last year, we made this report available to the public and based on the positive response we got for doing so, we’re doing the same again this year.

View: Stardock 2009 Customer Report

Locked Post 9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 19, 2009 10:43:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I quite enjoyed this, although I was wondering about this line:

We will then conclude with the 2009 customer survey report that was sent out to approximately three million Stardock customers.

Are you able to give a rough estimate of how many survey responses you got back of those ~3 million?

November 19, 2009 10:45:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice, thank you Frogboy!

November 19, 2009 10:54:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Although i have to say that Impulse looked much prettier in 2008 ( I didnt use impulse then just look at the picture of it).

November 19, 2009 5:27:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I really like and appreciate the visibility.

I work for a large .com, and evangelize StarDock (utilities, specifically) with the many developers and other technocrats that freely roam our campus.  I do project management for software development (delivered to primarily internal customers), and normally have a policy of very carefully controlled stonewalling over the release of detailed information to anyone.  This is precisely to avoid unrealistic expectations and to dodge black-eyes when unforeseen problems arise.  From that perspective, and only dealing with internal customers, it has always been a marvel at how open and freely you share information.

As a customer and a patron, it instills a lot of confidence and loyalty.  

November 20, 2009 6:39:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There is good stuff in there. Please keep it up!

Comments: (I'll probably have more to say as I read, absorb and understand the implications)

1) I noticed you used Dawn of War II as an example of being locked out of a game by SteamWorks.

Please consider that yes, I did buy this game, but only because I really wanted it. However, I normally avoid Steam and Games for Windows like the plague. Please do not consider using the same tactics with Impulse... it's a step in the wrong direction.

Right now if I pick up a game off a shelf and it says "Impulse" on it, it does not turn me off from considering buying the game.

2) Get more Indie developers with their cheap $20 games. Most of these games I have seen so far on Impulse have not been interesting so did not make me bite... but if you had something like  http://www.positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles/ you can bet your ass I would have bought it the first time I saw it. (and yes, I have not bought something directly from impulse yet) *edit: I see that it is there this week, but I heard about this game months ago, which is another point you brought up *

3) For VoIP in Impulse don't use a closed architecture. Please use something open like SIP for message control. Infact, with all the work you've done for demigod peering, using sip and making it work should be a breeze. This would also probably be a money making possibility, where you could lease team servers for Impulse much like Ventrillo.

Now, going back to SIP. You could possibly let people build their own clients / servers if they know what they are doing by going this route. Think of it as modding new features for the voice system, which you could then include officially once the community demands it. The great thing about SIP is it allows you to support custom extensions while still working with the basic features on other systems.

November 22, 2009 8:56:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

woops, didn't read closely... worthless post

November 23, 2009 2:54:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

GSB has been there for quite some time. I got it off of Impulse some months ago.

November 24, 2009 9:11:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OK I failed on GSB... I will buy it from Impulse for my Christmas present. However, let this be a lesson that you aren't advertising the right games to me.

Also, more practical free software would be awesome. All you need are a few must have apps and people will download impulse just to have them through word of mouth.

November 29, 2009 10:06:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Great read. I'm looking forward to seeing more stuff on Impulse. IF you guys can get NCSoft on board before the City of Heroes expansion comes out I promise I'll buy from you!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time: