The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Let's Discuss changing Sigil of Vitality

By on November 17, 2009 12:54:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Cost : 500 Gold

Cast: Instant

Effect : Temporarily increases maximum health by 50% for 20 seconds. also +100 minion health

This Item alone ruins most good games because of a chase kill through towers and then pop the instant sigil for mega health.

This item needs to be tweaked or removed.

Lets post some Idea's?

+12 Karma | 27 Replies
November 17, 2009 1:02:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sigil is an excellant item, it adds depth to gameplay, removing it would result in less stratedgy and less item choices.

November 17, 2009 1:07:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Cowbuttzex,
Sigil is an excellant item, it adds depth to gameplay, removing it would result in less stratedgy and less item choices.

Yes but instant cast and 50%hp for twenty seconds it needs to be tweaked all of our games outcomes are effected by this one item.

November 17, 2009 1:12:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like sigils very much, regardless of the demigod that I play.  As long as it is available to all players (unlike some favor items), I don't really see a problem. 

November 17, 2009 1:19:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Its expensive enough in my opinion.

November 17, 2009 1:24:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Actually i do see a problem. it is so easy to choose UB and stack HP, farm, then after level 7 buy sigils, pop 1 when in battle and take a kill. It needs to be adjusted so that it is an expert item, and that needs to be used at the right time in order to be useful.

My suggestions are 2:

1. Reduce the % of health boost. i.e. nerf from 50% to 25%

Or

2. Change from instant cast to a 1 sec cast.

Something like that. It needs a nerf imo. Sigils are a NECCESSITY in pro games, we dont want so much dependance on them.

Sigil needs a small nerf imo.

November 17, 2009 1:28:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like sigil the way it is, but it is used so often - you'll almost never see a top level player play without one - that I wouldn't mind the price being bumped up a bit, to say, 750.

November 17, 2009 1:32:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting FutileEmotion,
I like sigil the way it is, but it is used so often - you'll almost never see a top level player play without one - that I wouldn't mind the price being bumped up a bit, to say, 750.

750 gold would not worth it. if you take a kill but use sigil to do it, then u gain very little gold.

November 17, 2009 2:25:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's meant to be a temporary health boost, but with the 20 second duration it's effect lasts the full duration of every fight. Reduce its duration to 10-15 seconds so it actually expires mid-fight like it seems intended to.

November 17, 2009 2:35:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My suggestions are 2:

Or

2. Change from instant cast to a 1 sec cast.

The 1 suggestion is not that great, take a 6k UB with only 1k hp left, pop sigils u get 1.5k hp extra thats a total of 2.5k hp. The UB is still going to die and fast (compared to 4.5k hp with 50%).

The second suggestion is not gonna make a big difference because 1 sec cast is hard to interupt especially when its crowded (same cast time for cap locks).

My idea is:

Cost : 500 Gold

Cast: Instant

Effect : Temporarily increases maximum health by 50% for 10 seconds (at most, maybe 8 or even 5). also +100 minion health

I think the 20 seconds duration is what makes this item OP at the moment, cuz when u pop u can finish your kill and retreat safely. with 10 seconds (or maybe less) you have to make a choice, either run and save urself, or go for a suicide kill and die right after.

what do you think ?

November 17, 2009 2:36:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting obscenitor,
It's meant to be a temporary health boost, but with the 20 second duration it's effect lasts the full duration of every fight. Reduce its duration to 10-15 seconds so it actually expires mid-fight like it seems intended to.

I think the 10 second duration is a great idea

November 17, 2009 3:55:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ah, finaly!

I see ppl have already said their opinions, i was thinking before to put it all on paper, now i'll say all posibilities i thought of before that i think might work:

- increase cost to 750 (according to morpheas it's not good idea)

- reduce hp boost to 40% (minimum is 33%, but it's very bad solution imo)

- reduce duration to 10 or 15 sec (must to do!)

- increase cooldown to 45 sec (good idea imo)

- 1 sec cast (it might work imo)

- move to artifact shop (bad idea imo!) (i had to write it down )

There, i think it's all what is possible. Any of this suggestions might work (i dont think so ), or better yet, a combination of two of them.

Now ppl, choose !

P.S.

I hope 'imo' didnt make you a lot of problem lol

November 17, 2009 4:10:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Cowbuttzex,

You forgot the /sarcasm tag...

November 17, 2009 4:35:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Effect : Temporarily increases maximum health by 50% for 10 seconds (at most, maybe 8 or even 5). also +100 minion health

This! 10 seconds is the best and simplest solution

and as u said:

I think the 20 seconds duration is what makes this item OP at the moment, cuz when u pop u can finish your kill and retreat safely. with 10 seconds (or maybe less) you have to make a choice, either run and save urself, or go for a suicide kill and die right after.

Totally agree.

November 17, 2009 4:46:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For DG's with no heal/sheild, the sigil is pretty important.  Maybe reduce the time to 15 seconds, or do +40% health.  Otherwise it tips balance to Oak/Erebus/Sedna, even QoT more.

November 17, 2009 4:58:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Reduce it to 10 seconds. Problem solved. Will stop that 5000Hp UB ooze charging you past your towers then walking out and teleporting away once he gets behind his team

November 17, 2009 5:08:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hate sigils.  Take em out of the game.

November 17, 2009 5:45:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My 2 cents:

On 1 side, I don’t feel like it needs a change.  Anyone can buy them and incorporate them into their build.  Plenty of people still do not, though. On the other side, if we’re trying to spice things up a bit, decreasing the duration of the effect would be huge.  Now, you have a more limited amount of time to go for a kill or choose to run away or whatever. 

I’d still lean towards increasing the cost if a change was deemed necessary (I don't think it is).  Even at 750, yes, you would be getting less gold for your kills, but you’ll probably have control of the map because of that kill.  And at later levels, that can mean locking a portal, etc.  So, to me, that’s easily worth 750.  

November 17, 2009 6:06:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Make it 12s

November 17, 2009 9:56:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

just put 50% hp for 10sec instead of 20. So ppl will sigil only at the end of battle...when its really close to kill and not to survive for 20 more seconds

November 17, 2009 10:54:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

really, I enjoy sigils I think they are an important part of the game.

The issue is, really, at high-level play I always expect a sigil. This is because they are g'damn useful, which is a GOOD thing. Not using sigils and then complaining about them being OP is a sign of poor play. They are just extremely useful, to the point I always expect them.

This is one issue, the other is that is a very firm winner-keeps-winning item which is probably why so many people are angry about it.

Increasing the cost to 600, make it so you can only carry one at a time really should be enough. Now a person who sigils has to go to base after winning the fight (can't just let monk heal you up) or you won't have a sigil next time, so you will lose for sure, possibly die. Also, it's slightly more expensive so the first sigil comes slightly later in a game, it is a little more of a surprise.

Nerfing its duration really makes it happen like this:

We fight. I sigil to get a kill. You sigil in response 2 seconds later. Because you sigil'd last, you win by default since my sigil WILL wear off before yours will and then I will have 10 hp and you will go LOL DIE.

Nerfing its duration also gives a serious buff to UB. ASSUMING NO MONKS (Sedna counter healing, or whatever), if you have 600 hp before you sigil, you will have 600 hp 10 seconds later. Less if you take damage. Because all that HP disappears after 10 seconds. All of it.

So I hit you a few times, then I spit on you after three seconds. You are now basically dead because your sigil will wear off with 1 hp, Spit finishes you.

I don't think we want that.

Alright, fine, now you get a Sedna heal and a monk heal. Now you'll have 2400 hp 'reserved'. But if you take just 1400 damage in those 10 seconds, then get spit on... yeah you're still dead. Sigils become a ... item of deception. You have a buffer, but the buffer goes away really fast. Everyone will still sigil, it'll just be postponing the inevitable by 10 seconds, where the person who sigil's first always loses.

Nerfing Sigils duration will have a radical upset in a sigil's use, if it is less than 15 seconds. Combined with the upcoming nerf lock games will last several minutes longer as it is, while the losing team will have very little room for a comeback. Do we REALLY want make it even worse?

It's sad how many people want to buff damage and nerf HP stacking but they fail to realize that the more you buff damage and the more you nerf HP stacking the battles become shorter and shorter and more like an FPS. But maybe that's what kids want these days?

November 17, 2009 11:52:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting primz,
just put 50% hp for 10sec instead of 20. So ppl will sigil only at the end of battle...when its really close to kill and not to survive for 20 more seconds

November 18, 2009 2:32:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My suggestions are 2:

i say this, but drop its cost to 250 gold.

November 18, 2009 2:53:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We fight. I sigil to get a kill. You sigil in response 2 seconds later. Because you sigil'd last, you win by default since my sigil WILL wear off before yours will and then I will have 10 hp and you will go LOL DIE.
If you sigil first without the capacity to finish the fight, then you should run. I think that you sum up the problem perfectly, which is that currently the items last the full duration of the fight and have become a standard for fight at any mediocre skill levels and up.

There's no cast time, there's no real skill involved other than making sure you activate in time to prevent a chain stun kill if UB and another DG with a stun (and to a lesser extent Sedna with silence) are present.

Really what I'd like to know is what exactly is a sigil supposed to be? Did the devs misgauge the duration of most fights and set it to 20 seconds in spite of their intention for it to be a temporary health boost, or is it truly meant to be a mandatory occupant of one of your item slots which trumps even artifact healing potions in both cost and effectiveness?

You have a buffer, but the buffer goes away really fast. Everyone will still sigil
No, not necessarily, perhaps they'll actually consider using an artifact potion or *gasp* baiting an interrupt and then using a town portal scroll or a normal healing potion.

November 18, 2009 6:38:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

or is it truly meant to be a mandatory occupant of one of your item slots which trumps even artifact healing potions in both cost and effectiveness?

You have a buffer, but the buffer goes away really fast. Everyone will still sigil

No, not necessarily, perhaps they'll actually consider using an artifact potion or *gasp* baiting an interrupt and then using a town portal scroll or a normal healing potion.

Thank you obscenitor. Thats the same i wanted to say (right after reading pacov's post).

Everybody use it. It's a must item, and nobody uses potions. I'm against that; it is not 'balance', and it must be nerfed. It must compete with other item to get into item slot, such as potions & trinkets (and with teleports & capture locs in lesser degree - and while i'm at that, i would like to see the Capture lock cost increased to 500)

I wrote down all suggestions that are in options i could think of, and majority of ppl agrees on how to do it. But not all.

@abuggeredhedgie: if you think 10 sec is too small, how about 15? I wrote that down also. I think that everybody will agree on that. (for less than 15, seems not all) My vote is also for 15sec.  Next thing you said is to maybe make it having just one max in inventory. I'm aginst that, 3 should stay, however you could increase then cd to 45 sec to compensate a bit.

Really, we dont need to do just 'one big change' (like reducing duration from 20>10sec), but we could do a couple of small changes/nerfs: 20>15sec; cd 30>45, cost 500>600(not 750 as i put in options), but it may not be needed if first 2 are applied.

So, think about it more deeply, and do it so everybody agrees.

@ gkrit: i already said before that +25% would be too small; i don't think ppl would use it then at all(!?). Minimum +33%, and then what you said (250gold) might work, but i don't think majority of ppl would agree on that.

P.S. little off topic: Amulet of teleportation should have decreased cooldown imo. From 45>30 (just like tele-scroll), or at least 35 sec. That way it will become even more competitive & desired favor item than it is now (and not many ppl use it anyway; mostly on big maps & with very specific builds), and it may reduce the valor of tele-scroll in addition, cause more ppl will use it.

November 18, 2009 8:06:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Everybody use it. It's a must item, and nobody uses potions. I'm against that; it is not 'balance', and it must be nerfed. It must compete with other item to get into item slot, such as potions & trinkets (and with teleports & capture locs in lesser degree - and while i'm at that, i would like to see the Capture lock cost increased to 500)

i think potions should stay as they are but they should drop in price. 220 instead of 275 gold maybe?

@ gkrit: i already said before that +25% would be too small; i don't think ppl would use it then at all(!?). Minimum +33%, and then what you said (250gold) might work, but i don't think majority of ppl would agree on that.

yeh ... its hard to tell and w ecan only speculate on what could be a balanced figure. We rlly need regular testing in game to see what is best.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000516   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.