The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

People would probably rage less if they hadn't paid 40$. Work with that?

By on November 7, 2009 11:48:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'll put it simply. As much as I like the game, I can understand why people would rage over the multiplayer connection issues and other assorted problems when they are paying 40-50$ for the experience..

It seems pretty noticeable that many people take up the game whenever there is a sale, even if they only hang around for a bit.Yet if they pay 20$ for it, they are much less likely to post a "quitting Demigod/joining HON/likethegamebutfrustrated" post.

It also seems pretty obvious that if people have left DG for something similar, they have normally moved onto a variant of either HON or LOL which is easy to do, due to the whole "free" beta concept.

Demigod should be capitalizing on the impulse whims of gamers, that will buy something to check it out, if the price is low enough.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suggestion. (hopefully discussion promoting)

Dota allstars was/is quite popular for game that only had 1 map. People are quite willing to take up/try out a game if free or very cheap. Demigod needs more players, so when pared with a hopefully one day fixed stats tracking system, a ladder and auto matching will work properly. Demigod is ultimately visually stunning and quite fun to play. These idea all of course apply to the downloadable game.

1. Allow the demo users to play with others online, but rename the demo to something like demigod lite, trial version etc. If i remember correctly, they have 4 dg's and just cataract yes? Allows for a boost in population, for what is probably the most popular game scenario.
  2. Post replays of games, advertise madly over impulse, set up a official cash tournament hosted on Stardockservers/viewable live, market/get the word out etc Hopefully after 1.2 comes out and fixes a few things and/or the new DGs come out.
  3. Charge 10$ for these users to upgrade to all the DGs and maps and singleplayer/pantheon/laddders/matchmaking etc
  4. Charge 10$ extra for  premium content upgrades that grants the new demigods/content to be released.

It costs the same as someone with a 20$ coupon to get the whole game, but allows for people to get in on the game for free to try it out/want more.

Thoughts?

+5 Karma | 14 Replies
November 8, 2009 1:20:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

People will try it, but quickly discover that Demigod primarily caters to a small demographic of gamers that have high-end machines and are seeking out a highly competitive ranked multiplayer experience.  Will that draw the masses in?

November 8, 2009 1:46:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Seriously its only $40.. Thats less than a night out.   There are few things were you get as much value out of your money as PC Games.  Yet people act like they were completely ripped off after they have played the game for months and have gotten hundreds of hours of entertainment. 

November 8, 2009 1:46:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Seriously its only $40.. Thats less than a night out.   There are few things were you get as much value out of your money as PC Games.  Yet people act like they were completely ripped off after they have played the game for months and have gotten hundreds of hours of entertainment. 

November 8, 2009 3:30:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting mgmetal13,
Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

The problem is that just about every multiplayer pc game on the market is more stable.

November 8, 2009 4:22:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Purgespam,

Quoting mgmetal13, reply 3 Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

The problem is that just about every multiplayer pc game on the market is more stable.

in other words "its like someone going to buy a computer, but the comp has no USB ports".

November 8, 2009 5:17:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Seriously its only $40.. Thats less than a night out.

Um, where can you get a woman for only $40...?

November 8, 2009 6:01:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

'GODDAKMNIT PEOPLE! ITS STABLE NOW. Where the fuck are you complaining about. The only connection issue right now is game state error, which isn't a connection issue but an exploit.

November 8, 2009 7:51:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nah.

I paid less than 40$.

(ok, I also rage less but that's just because I don't care as much)

November 8, 2009 8:52:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My point was that it is not the buisness model of the other, much more popular, MOBA games.

Perhpas it should be somewhat emulated?

November 8, 2009 9:24:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting lifekatana,
'GODDAKMNIT PEOPLE! ITS STABLE NOW. Where the fuck are you complaining about. The only connection issue right now is game state error, which isn't a connection issue but an exploit.

No it's not.  50% of my games lately have consisted of someone's game randomly crashing  or the critical error bug.  It really isn't stable yet.

November 8, 2009 4:50:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I hate to say this but if you have stability problems with Demigod at this point it's not Demigod. It's your machine.

I play with and talk to a LOT of demigod players daily and it's very very rare to find someone who has had problems.

In addition, I follow-up with our QA and support people on a regular basis and Demigod is a pretty problem free game.

There are people out there who will always have some problem with any given game. There are people who say Galactic Civilizations is buggy and Sins of a Solar Empire and so on. And I'm sure it's true -- for them.  But that doesn't make it true in the wider sense.

If you find Demigod unstable right now, then I hate to say it but you're pretty much out of luck.  And as an OCD kind of guy, it kills me to say that but the game is very stable.

November 8, 2009 10:13:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting mgmetal13,

But on a night out, you don't pay $40+ upfront at the start of a night, unless you already know that it is for something out of the ordinary, or pre-advertised  i.e. birthday, concert, something hosted night etc.

If you were to see a place that had a sign outside saying "first drink free!!", a fair few people would probably go in on an Impulse (pun intended), and if they liked it, would probably buy another drink or two, spending money that they otherwise wouldn't have spent.

Just an idea to get people in the DG door. It's a fun place inside..

November 10, 2009 3:38:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Aroddo,
Nah.

I paid less than 40$.

(ok, I also rage less but that's just because I don't care as much)
at my walmart it's $19.99

November 11, 2009 3:34:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, if I didn't pay 49.99 at gamestop 3 months after release then I'd be less upset.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000625   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.