The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod patches - a few questions for someone at SD or GPG

By on November 6, 2009 5:16:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm curious about a part of process for having patches released and would appreciate it if someone from SD or GPG would be kind enough to comment.  I'd like to use an older example to ask my question.  Let's say SD decides that they want version 1.1 to go live.  They have a meeting for what should be in 1.1.  They come up with exact items that should be included, balancing requests, exact fixes, etc.  I think of it as a list with everything that has to be completed for 1.1.  Once the list is compiled, GPG assigns a developer or team to create builds with the new content.  I believe they send builds to SD and SD puts those changes through QA.  I believe they are constantly getting builds as features are completed, but I'm not exactly sure how all that works.  Eventually, GPG has everything on their list checked off and a final build is completed.  This is sent to SD for QA.  If it doesn't pass QA, GPG will fix and send a new build.  If it does pass QA, a release is scheduled and rolled out. 

Am I wrong about anything so far?  Ok.  So, let's say version 1.1 passes QA and is released and a show stopper bug is found.  No need to get specific, but something is found after SD considered the version complete.  Is GPG responsible for fixing the bugs that were created as a result of the version they coded or does SD have to shell out some more money because it was missed in QA? 

I ask all of this because I'm curious about the process.  But I'm also wondering if we might be able to assist in beta testing patches again as they are availble. 

+161 Karma | 19 Replies
November 6, 2009 5:37:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

NT

November 6, 2009 6:00:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well phrased, thoughtful question as usual Pacov. You are a much needed voice of reason around here. +1

November 6, 2009 8:52:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lets just wait and see if this will be commented on.

November 6, 2009 9:04:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

They will if they like.    They've been quite open in the past, but surely don't monitor the forums everytime I grace the boards with a post

November 6, 2009 10:46:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I assume you mean v1.2.

But basically, when v1.2 comes out and there's some bug in it they'll get adressed.

v1.2 isn't the end of the line.

November 6, 2009 10:58:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
I assume you mean v1.2.

But basically, when v1.2 comes out and there's some bug in it they'll get adressed.

v1.2 isn't the end of the line.

Froggy - I know 1.2 isn't the end of the line.  I'm more interested in the actual process.  Thanks

November 6, 2009 11:56:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol wat does NT mean?

November 7, 2009 12:39:09 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

bump bascially

NT = No Text

November 7, 2009 3:06:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

NT= No text... I didn't mean to bump... replaced it with text

November 7, 2009 4:18:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That is a good question pacov.

Can we get an answer please about how things work? Frogboy maybe?

November 7, 2009 11:41:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I believe the contract Stardock has with GPG is for a set period of time.  Once that magic date hits, GPG is no longer responsible for releasing updates pro bono.  I also seem to remember that the DLC for the DGs is a separate part of the agreement.

November 7, 2009 12:10:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting FutileEmotion,
I believe the contract Stardock has with GPG is for a set period of time.  Once that magic date hits, GPG is no longer responsible for releasing updates pro bono.  I also seem to remember that the DLC for the DGs is a separate part of the agreement.

It's my understanding is that GPG has agreed to provide updates through X date, but SD has to pay for all of the updates.  So, that just means that GPG says they will have someone there that can work on the game if needed for pay.  But anyway, I really just want to know if I'm understanding the process for patches/QA.  If I understand their model correctly, then it makes alot of sense for everyone to have us assist with testing prior to a release going final.  We'd get the benefit of trying out new things early, they'd get the benefit of having a much larger unpaid QA team, we'd get to see more fixes to the build before it went live, it might save SD money, and we'd actually feel like the game is ours (which will go a long way once modding is out). 

November 7, 2009 7:58:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"

I believe the contract Stardock has with GPG is for a set period of time.  Once that magic date hits, GPG is no longer responsible for releasing updates pro bono.  I also seem to remember that the DLC for the DGs is a separate part of the agreement."

1 year wooo~~~~

November 9, 2009 5:48:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

a final bump..

November 10, 2009 2:26:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm curious about the QA and patch creation and release process myself, however it seems that everyone is keeping quiet about it. It would be interesting to know, but I could also see how people who get upset. It's the old truism about liking sausage until you find out what goes in it.

November 10, 2009 2:30:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, the one year date has hit.

November 11, 2009 4:01:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, since noone else is I will take a crack at this question.

Bear in mind, I am just a content engineer, so I don't deal directly with Stardock and can only comment about what happens at GPG.

Stardock sends us a list of changes they would like to have done. Those changes are handed out to the appropriate people. When those changes ( or at least a bulk of them) are completed, a build is made and sent to Stardock as a WIP build to have Stardock QA take a look at it.

If any bugs or issues are found they contact us back to have further changes/fixes made. It goes back and forth until Stardock QA approves the build.

As for the Stardock QA process or how they decide what goes into each patch, I have no idea.

Hope this at least helps a little.

November 11, 2009 6:14:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok. So, let's say version 1.1 passes QA and is released and a show stopper bug is found. No need to get specific, but something is found after SD considered the version complete. Is GPG responsible for fixing the bugs that were created as a result of the version they coded or does SD have to shell out some more money because it was missed in QA?

I think this is what pacov really wanted to ask. and i would like to know about it too. if somebody can answer this, it would be great.

November 11, 2009 7:40:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Morpheas is right, but I really appreciate the insight you provided here, Sorian!  You answered part of my question at the very least and I do appreciate it.  Thanks again for another look behind the scenes and for all of your hard work on Demgod.  I really appreciate all of the hard work you are doing for us and all of the fixes you try to cram in.  I hope you get a break from Demigod to work on SupCom2 (as it sounds like you'd like to be focussed on just 1 project for awhile).  Thanks again!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.