The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The Demon Assassin’s Skill Tree & Review

By on October 29, 2009 8:12:20 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

We’re not trying to torture anyone with these sneak peeks. 

For the past couple of weeks we’ve been playing with new builds of Demigod sent over from developer Gas Powered Games.

Now, since I work at Stardock, the publisher, I’m biased. I make no bones about it. But as the designer and one of the developers of Galactic Civilizations and the forthcoming Elemental, I do have some perspective on the work GPG is doing with these demigods.

As someone who is biased a bit towards quantity over quality, I have been somewhat skeptical about the effort involved in making these demigods. If I were the designer of Demigod, the players would simply create their demigods from scratch at the start of the game rather than “pick” one.  That said, seeing GPG’s work has given me a real appreciation of the craftsmanship at Gas Powered Games.

The Demon Assassin will be an exciting addition. He plays very differently than any other demigod I’ve played and yet he also feels natural to the game play. He’s incredibly powerful but also very fragile.

I normally play as either Oak or Lord Erebus. In either case, I don’t tend to die often because I quickly amass a lot of HP.  The Demon Assassin, by contrast, is (obviously) not a general which means no monks to start out with and he has much lower armor and HP than most of the demigods.

On the other hand, he’s lethal.  By the second level, a fully mana’d DA can inflict 650HP of damage.

Here are the powers that I think people will find exciting:

1. Warp Strike.  You target at enemy and he will warp in and do 250 damage (it’s expensive at 500 mana so early on it’s not something that will happen much).  The range isn’t huge but it’s enough to make him a real force early on if you’re running away.
  2. Spine Attack. Yes, he also has a ranged weapon. A rather nasty one. It’s short-range but it’s range nevertheless. For 550 mana you can do 400 damage. First level.
  3. Elusiveness. This is a passive ability but holy cow, it’s so cool. It’s a dodge ability.
  4. Demon Speed. Another passive ability but simply put, you can make him go faster and faster.  By default, he’s actually pretty slow.
  5. Precision. This is a critical hit passive ability that you can crank up during the course of the game.
  6. Warp area. This is his area effect. It doesn’t show up until level 5 but it lets him do damage to nearby units for 250 damage each (eventually at level 10 he can do 500 damage to all nearby units). 
  7. He also has a shadow ability. This is the one that will be controversial and we’ll be discussing with players. He can exchange places with a target demigod.  The range is limited but it’s very powerful. You’ve just capped that portal flag, you’re running away. You’re going to make it.  No. No you’re not. You’re going to die. Because the demon assassin has just exchanged places with you and now you’re back at that portal and he’s out in front of you.

He is incredibly dangerous – in the right hands. He’s also a massive feeder in the wrong hands.  At level 4, with HP giving armor and such, I had 2275HP.  With Erebus or Oak I’d be at over 4000 at that point. 

What? Give him Blood of the Fallen? No problem? Except he’s fairly slow at the start.  He is almost begging for Swift Ankle Bracelet.

Here’s a video of his skills.

Locked Post 85 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 30, 2009 3:17:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That's excellent news. I wub u, Sorian!

October 30, 2009 5:24:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

his exchange places ability is so incredibly powerful. imagine a minetrap of 6 mines the enemy lands on and the regulus prepares to throw the next three. or youre teleporting the enemy right into a tower farm while rook prepares his slam. or both things at the same time... its like an instant death if just one comes close enough.

October 30, 2009 5:44:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

DA being a powerful damage dealer could go well with QoT or Sedna, who can protect him while he scores powerful blows. But his squishiness would definitely require a tank on the team if it's a 3v3 match.

EDIT: I wonder if his exchange places ability can be countered by Oak's shield and Erebus' mist (which I'm sure it is). Also is there any animation preceding the effect to have a chance to react to the swap or is it an instant cast (which would probable make more sense)?

October 30, 2009 8:47:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

DA does appear to scale well late game, if you can get amour to minimise the effect of his low base health.

The real test is he able to hold/take a lane (1vs1 or 2vs2) and if DA can pull his weight in group fights. At the moment extrapolating from the given information he will be amoung the worst demigods at being able to do this (before level 10), the other squishy demigods can kite (spine attack and shadow swap into towers appears to be his only ranged damaging abilitys).

with low health he will have to spend the first part of the game being careful not to over extend. A part from Spine Attack (and Swap) every other abitly requires him to get into mele range to use where vs good builds he will have to be careful not to overextend as he will take full mele damage while retreating due to low base speed (hope frogboy means its 6) (this still assumes that he cannot 1vs1 mele an oak (this is relatively easy demigod to 1vs1 at the start of the game) and expect to achive something in the early game).

October 30, 2009 8:58:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've already said my piece. The problem is by 15th level the game is probably over.

October 30, 2009 11:00:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

just waiting to see if i get an email saying if i get to test DA now....

October 30, 2009 11:04:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

if a char is stunned and DA uses shadow swap on stunned target, will the stunned target be relieved of the stun?

(many "stuns in that sentence )

October 30, 2009 12:46:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1.2 includes a fix for stuns being removed because of interrupts.

October 30, 2009 12:57:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

He should have had a teammate warp skill, he could teleport an ally to him and visa versa.

October 30, 2009 5:24:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just read some of the posts and seen a few people mention he might be too weak......... you're kidding me.

he can swap positions with another demigod............. that's insane. That's a game mechanic no one else has. This makes fleeing from battle impossible.

I don't know the range on his swap ability but I could see myself going:

1. tp in for a gank, do dmg.

2. enemy runs

3. swap places

4. enemy runs again

5. chase - followed by cloak of night - followed by swap places again when cooldown is off.

Or how about a rook in a tower farm, trade places. gg rook.

he seems fun, I like how he requires more teamwork than other dg's. the possibilities are endless.

Enemy is chilling near a tower, afraid to fight, low on HP.

Swap ability - grasp - hammer slam. OUCH

October 30, 2009 5:41:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lets not forget that some ideas written down on paper are do not always go the way we practice.

October 30, 2009 7:26:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I bet that after people see what DA can do, they will all scream "OMG NERF demon assasin NOW!!!" .

Until now people were saying that erebus is OP. I cant even imagine what they will say about DA.

Btw everytime i see "DA", it sounds like the US DA he he

October 30, 2009 8:43:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting playgroundlegend,
Just read some of the posts and seen a few people mention he might be too weak......... you're kidding me.

he can swap positions with another demigod............. that's insane. That's a game mechanic no one else has. This makes fleeing from battle impossible.

I don't know the range on his swap ability but I could see myself going:

1. tp in for a gank, do dmg.

2. enemy runs

3. swap places

4. enemy runs again

5. chase - followed by cloak of night - followed by swap places again when cooldown is off.

Or how about a rook in a tower farm, trade places. gg rook.

he seems fun, I like how he requires more teamwork than other dg's. the possibilities are endless.

Enemy is chilling near a tower, afraid to fight, low on HP.

Swap ability - grasp - hammer slam. OUCH

I dont know if you can rely on one skill to make a demigod viable.

All these situations require seem to assume a 2vs1 situation, its definatly much easyer to get a 2vs1 going with this demigod (does make keeping track of all the enermy demigods more impotant than it alreday is).

It does depend on the cast time and mana cost though if its instant cast with 20 range for 500 mana it will be scary. But if it has i higher mana cost with a lengthy cast time (2 to 3 secs) you could expect to have the 2 other enermy demigods tele portals somewhere near DA with DA left with poor base speed and healh to get back to saftly (that is you have to consider where you end up).

If the rook in the farm saw it was coming moved to the back of his farm, alies got alerted and teled in on the foward towers low health and low base speed would make this demigod resonably easy to gank in this situation.

This all assumes that he pulls about the same weight as reg in larger fights, but lacks range so has to go expose himself to propper mele damage to put in a real dps contrubtion. DA also makes reg and tb even less viable in compditive play (i would personally like to see all 10 demigods be able to be considered for 3vs3 play).

If he is as powerful as UB without ooze in a non ganking sitution then yes you are right and this guy will be insane but nothing given says this will anything near the case (due high mana requirements, lack of base speed and health), and i have no doubt that with cash spent in amour and mana he would be a force late game but up to about level 7 as long as you keep your health high you will have DA sitting behind a tower.

October 30, 2009 8:56:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You're only worried about his shadow teleport!? I'm much more worried about his invisible minions!!

/sarcasm

Hint:

Cloak of Night is a General favor item.

October 30, 2009 9:01:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

DA should prob lose health and mana when shadow swapping, since the skill seems very powerful/useful.

OR!

the person who DA swaps with, is immune to all dmg for 0.5 - 1 sec but is still effected by debuffs. That way if a reg has placed 6 mines in 1 spot and DA shadow swaps an enemy on to the mines, the mines will go off without having any impact of target enemy. Moving a character back toward ur teammates is a very powerful tool so that 0.5 secs - 1 sec off dmg immunity isnt rlly gonna have much of an impact on the skills effectiveness.

OR!

for 5/4/3/2 secs after a target is shadow swapped with DA, target recieves 20%/30%/40%/50% less dmg.

but man, ... wat a skill to counter swarm and cloak of the night.

October 30, 2009 9:52:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That way if a reg has placed 6 mines in 1 spot and DA shadow swaps an enemy on to the mines, the mines will go off without having any impact of target enemy.

im really not that worryed about that that would mean that only 1 demigod in there team could acutally hold a lane (in equal numbers) and it would be easy to tell where the mines are placed and any general can then spend 350 gold on some mine clearers (one of the reasons why reg is not compeditivly viable). And as long as you are 1 distance outside this range of shadow swap from the mines this cannot go off.

he will be very dangerous if you play stupid and/or aggresive vs him im sure. But im fairly sure he will require too many skill points to be very useful before level 7 to 10. (would need 3 in Spine Attack, at least a point in warp strike, shadow swap, 6 or so in stat boosing passives to start to catch up to other demigods combat abilitys (this is arbitary, feel free to flame me on this) and a lot of amour mana and speed boost from the shop.)

There will be many guides written about how to avoid this stuff im shure and enermy be forced to spend 500 a game on totems of revilation but along as you exploit the weakness DA will be a second teir or worse demigod. If he was to get a stun and/or snare tacked onto his current abities he would be much more scary.

October 30, 2009 10:34:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CosMoe,

You're only worried about his shadow teleport!? I'm much more worried about his invisible minions!!

/sarcasm

Hint:

Cloak of Night is a General favor item.

LMAO nice catch cosmoe!

October 30, 2009 11:23:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Demon Assasin is only capable of choosing from 2 activated abilities from level 1. Both essentially do the same thing. One a ranged attack, one is a melee attack that warps you next to an enemy. Assuming your cooldown times are perfect Warp Sttrike does a little more damage.

The focus of this guy's builds hs got to be his passive abilities. His activated abilities are very weak.

October 30, 2009 11:46:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,
Demon Assasin is only capable of choosing from 2 activated abilities from level 1. Both essentially do the same thing. One a ranged attack, one is a melee attack that warps you next to an enemy. Assuming your cooldown times are perfect Warp Sttrike does a little more damage.

The focus of this guy's builds hs got to be his passive abilities. His activated abilities are very weak.

His passives are even weaker: 5 percent less AA damage taken, 5 percent more damage (yes scales with other stuff better and is good for ganking but still only 5 percent), and 5 percent speed per level.

Comparing this to fire aura: both 5 percent attack and speed in aura form per level, so whole team get it.

Due to UBs higher base speed (and possibly AA) he will be faster per level of the skill and get attack speed bonus.

Sedna also gets a margially better speed buff.

I will say that 25 (+10 percent from something else) percent doge late game would be good but does not enough to make him compdeditive by its self.

More than 1 wont be taken before level 6 at best, i would think. All of these will scale into late game with items (not so much speed).

Best build i can see is:

Spine Attack>Warp Strike/Dodge>Warp Strike/Dodge>Spine Attack>Shadow Swap>Dodge>Spine Attack

This would start to get dangerous here if it showed up in a 1vs1 battle for a lane without warning and would be a gank if the opponant was on low heath. Edit: just read the range on warpstrike this would be pretty easy to pull off, 15 range and instant cast (if this range gets bigger i could be wrong about the usefulness of this demigod).

October 31, 2009 12:10:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That's what I'm saying. He just seems overall weak. Critical strike has some legitimacy but we need some number tweaking. Bring on the beta testing!

October 31, 2009 12:56:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think the intention is to make him start weak for Beta testing so the people who get him early can't nub-stomp everyone into the ground...

October 31, 2009 10:50:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CosMoe,

Ivisible Minions!!!11!!

We are all screwed run to hell!!

October 31, 2009 3:20:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting abuggeredhedgie,
I think the intention is to make him start weak for Beta testing so the people who get him early can't nub-stomp everyone into the ground...

That's outirght wrong.

October 31, 2009 5:40:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,

Quoting abuggeredhedgie, reply 71I think the intention is to make him start weak for Beta testing so the people who get him early can't nub-stomp everyone into the ground...
That's outirght wrong.

Thats wrong as in its not what they're doing or wrong as in a mistake they're doing it?

Cause I think he's right that its what they're doing and it seems better to err on the side of underpoweredness during his beta stage especially since not everyone will have access to him.

Admittedly his passives seem pretty sad right now... specially considering comparing his speed boost with a speed/attack speed/damage aura of TB.   Right now, I'm not forseeing DA played anyway except a Blade of the Serpent 100%ability build at this time.

October 31, 2009 6:09:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

They're being beta tested for further balance. Its not so that people get uber leet and pwn everyone. This game is not about the individual skill. I have a legitimate interest in making sure thid dude ansd Occulus are competent choices alongside the base 8.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.